Wednesday, 1 April 2009

On the way to Cappadocia

We had some friends who had knowledge of living and working in Cappadocia, and who were intending to move back there, so we left Side and set off to visit them. They were living temporarily in a town called Ceyhan which is fairly near Adana....a journey of around 700 km if my memory serves me well.

The truck containing our furniture set off and we followed in our car with Beki...who was a tiny pup at this time.Unfortunately when we reached Alanya...some 50km down the road, our car blew up...literally. It just went bang and collapsed in a heap in the middle of the road. So we had it towed to a workshop, hired a car and resumed our journey.

We arrived in Ceyhan in the early hours of the following morning, our furniture having arrived some time before and unpacked by our friends and stored in one of their empty rooms. There was a powercut so it was too dark and we were too tired to take notice of our surroundings, and just fell into bed and slept.

The next day was such a shock. The house we were staying in was appalling. It was in a road of slum dwellings that looked like something out of a Dickens novel. There were rats the size of cats running around on the rooftops. The bathroom consisted of the usual squat toilet with no flushing mechanism...and a tap sticking out of the wall. Although most of the time there was no water anyway. If we used anything electrical and the apartment downstairs switched on something electrical, then ours just switched itself off...and vice versa.

Mr Ayak and I were very unhappy about staying there but he had to drive back to Alanya to return the hire car, and sort out our car, so my friend's husband went with him and my friend and I just had to sit it out. I asked her what possessed her to rent such an awful place, and she told me that she had no choice. Her husband was Kurdish, his family along with lots of other Kurds lived in this road, and they had rented the apartment for them. They also hated it but decided that they would have to stay a little while so that they did not offend his family.

Turkish people will tell you that there is no discrimination towards Kurds...that they happily integrate. To a large extent this is true. However there are still areas like Ceyhan where Kurdish ghettos exist on the outskirts of town. The people were lovely...but the poverty was overwhelming.

So...our car took a couple of weeks to fix, during which time my friend and I fought off the rats ...and bats which also came into the sittingroom at night....and because of the lack of water settled for packets of wet-wipes to avoid smelling too badly

As soon as Mr Ayak arrived back with our car, we set off for Cappadocia. We would search for accommodation for both us and our friends, and they would follow on with theirs and our belongings.

6 comments:

  1. You are a braver woman than me, Ayak. I don't know what would have made me screech more - the bats or the rats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bats made me screech more FF. I can still remember hiding behind the sofa as my friend bravely whooshed them away with a broom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Ayak yo have certainly had an eventful time since you moved to Turkey. Looking forward to the next instalment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jazzy..welcome to my blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x