Pages

Thursday, 13 August 2009

Did I tell you about the time I ........




Having now made 60 odd posts on my blog, it seems an opportune moment to mention my memory.





There comes a time in life when the memory really isn't as good as it should be.





I used to have a brilliant memory. I could remember everyone's phone numbers and addresses and reel them off at the drop of a hat.





Nowadays they are all written down in an address book, and stored in my mobile phone. For goodness sake...I can't even remember my own mobile phone number...and I've had the same one for about 8 years!





I used to happily go shopping knowing that everything I needed was in my mental list. Now the list has to be written down. And of course there are times when I forget to take the list with me, which results in my buying stuff I don't need and forgetting to buy the essentials.






You know when you have become a senior citizen when you start repeating yourself. I'm afraid I do this very often these days. I've lost count of the number of times I am telling my daughter about some occurrence, only for her to say "Mum...you've already told me that". She of course is honest enough to tell me. I'm pretty sure others experience my repetition but are too polite to
mention it.



And then there are times when I go from one room to another to get something but on arrival have forgotten what it is I needed. Or I put something somewhere "safe"....so safe that I can't remember where it is.



I'm sure many of you will recognise this behaviour...it's just a sign of the brain cells wearing out I guess.



I know it's normal, and I'm not overly concerned about it. But I do feel such sadness and sympathy when people tell me about their relatives who are suffering from some form of dementia, or Alzheimers. I can't imagine how difficult and frustrating life must be for them.



Blogging helps of course. It keeps the brain cells ticking over. The old adage springs to mind "If you don't use it...you lose it".



So...my dear readers...just a warning. If I post something here that I have already written about...just humour me please! But because I appreciate honesty...please feel free to tell me!



Now...where DID I put my cigarettes?

10 comments:

  1. LoL Ayak! That is never going to happen! Enjoyed the post!

    Please, forgive me for my sstupid spelling errors today! I was really tired, I could hardly see the screen while I was posting, also you can blame it on the computer because it wasn't working well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel. Don't worry about the spelling errors...we all have days like that...and I usually blame my computer too!

    Try to get some sleep...or you will be too tired to write your blog...and we can't have that can we? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny post Ayak! Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you remember you borrowed €50 from me Ayak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amagerican: Thankyou..glad to have made your day xx

    @Ann: Now that I would certainly have remembered...never forget my debts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I thought I was forgetting things just because I had blonde highlights put into my hair! I really didn't want to have to give them up, but now I have to remember exactly how old I am. Between a rock and a hard place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinklea...I am also blonde (at the moment ) but it's no excuse is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gawd, Ayak - talking of memory. I seem to have become so sloppy lately about keeping up with people's blogs, your in particular. It really is not intended as I'm sure you know. I get caught up in 'stuff' these days, intend to return to bloland to play catch up and then get side-tracked.

    Must be my age (and adjusting to my HRT)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. typos galore - I really must read what I type before publishing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FF: No problem FF...I too get sidetracked by other things. I have to say that I'm coming across so many good blogs these days that I haven't enough hours in the day to read them all.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x