Pages

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Service with a smile..... and çay of course!



I popped into Milas this morning to deal with a few overdue chores. I needed to have a skirt taken in. The last time I was at the hairdressers I noticed a terzi (tailor) opposite the salon so I set off in that direction.




There are female tailors who make womens clothes and do alterations. And there a male tailors for the men. I have used male tailors in the past as they make very good trousers. Turkish tailors are amongst the best in the world, and they are very very cheap.




Anyway the terzi's shop was closed, but my hairdresser and his staff spotted me and came out to see if they could help. I explained what I needed done to my skirt and they promised to give it to the terzi when she arrived, and telephone me when it was ready....but before I left they insisted I sat down and had çay with them and share their breakfast. It's very rude to refuse Turkish hospitality...so of course I had to accept!




Half an hour later I set off for the bank, and decided to try to get my specs fixed on the way. I had them made in the UK on my last visit. Since then they had become very loose, and one of the tiny screws was missing. I popped into the first optician shop that I came across,where they spent the following 20 minutes replacing the screw, tightening the arms, and adjusting them to fit perfectly...not to mention giving them a through clean. And of course whilst I waited I was offered çay and a comfortable armchair. So with my perfectly fitting specs on my nose, I got out my purse to pay...and was immediately informed that there was absolutely no charge and it was their pleasure to be of service.



The bank was very busy, so I took my numbered ticket and sat down to wait, whereupon a young girl appeared with a tray of çay for the customers.




If you are shopping in Turkey you really have to have a strong bladder. Every shop you visit will insist you sit and drink çay. It's impossible to walk in...be served...and walk out again without being offered çay.



To round off this very pleasant morning, I went to check my postbox, only to find a package from a friend in England...6 packets of Birds custard.....wonderful!




And home...to a cup of coffee...I've had enough çay for today!

8 comments:

  1. sounds like a good, yet tiring day! INothing can replace my coffee for me... (maybe cola can but...) nothing can replace coffee for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a coffee drinker Mel. I don't drink tea at home and I never drank it when I lived in the UK. Turkish çay is ok...nicer than normal tea, and as it comes in small glasses it's easier to drink it. I' ve had to get used to it as you can see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing that jumped out at me from your post was the brilliant news that you had to have your skirt taken in. Well done on the weight loss! You're doing better than me.

    It sounds a very friendly and relaxed district where youy are - I'm very pleased for you. Is the garden all finished now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is cay strong tea Ayak, rather hoping it is, or you would have had great difficulty in finding your way home.

    They sound so helpful over there, and once again I have to say they are the same here, so we have to put up with their strange way of life, and sometimes the benefits outweigh the annoyance we have, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Turkey for the first time in July, and yeah, the çay. Everywhere! My daughter and I were offered çay many times - but at least we had read up on Turkish culture and knew enough to never refuse. (And we always checked the location of the next toilet!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. FF: Oh its not brilliant news on weight loss..just a skirt that was too big to start with unfortunately! It is a very pleasant area...the people are very friendly. The garden is looking pretty good. I might grow veg next year...says she of the non-green fingers!

    Ann: It can be quite strong unless you ask for açik çay which is watered down...which I always have. Açik translates as "open"...no wonder I find this language so difficult! And yes Ann...when I get frustrated or irritated by them at times I do make a point of reminding myself what helpful generous people they are.

    Pinklea: Hi and welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoyed your holiday here. I'm hope it will be the first of many. Oh and yes knowing the locations of public toilets is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turkish çay is wonderful. I always have sugar in mine as I find it incredibly strong. I never refuse a cup ha ha-

    I had Green island çay for the first time last year in a bag shop in Kusadasi. It´s a bit easier on the stomach I find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah but have you actually ever TRIED refusing? Not easy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x