Monday, 21 September 2009
The Insomniac's Checklist
And I'd also forgotten that young puppies are much like young babies, in that they need feeding a little and often. So Milly is needing my attention, and warm milk, around 2 or 3am, together with a little cuddle and reassurance to get her to go back to sleep.
Sometimes it's just easier to give in and stay awake all night. I learned this a long time ago...there's no point in fighting it. So this is my checklist for wiling away the night hours:
1. Read a good book (this will often induce sleep so I always try this first)
2. Surf the net.
3. Answer overdue emails.
4. Check MSN to see if any of your friends are logged on and also unable to sleep..and have a chat.
5. Catch up on the ironing.
6. Put the washing machine on (this is sensible and cost effective as we have a cheaper tariff after midnight)
7. Watch television (isn't it wonderful that these days almost all TV channels broadcast 24 hours a day?
8. Do some housework (of course this is only possible if you are alone and don't have adjoining neighbours)
And finally...what I found myself doing at 4.30am:
9. Move the furniture around....my bedroom now has a completely different layout...and the energy used enabled me to have a short nap at around 5.30am before the dogs woke me up at 6.30am.
But please do try to take catnaps during the day...as I fully intend to do today.