Saturday, 17 October 2009

Isolation


I've always craved isolation.  After years of working with people and their problems, and coping with the hustle and bustle of living in the UK, and also some of the busy tourist areas in Turkey, I've found the perfect place to live.

Anyone who has read any of my posts since we moved to this village in May, will know that achieving this idyll isn't without it's problems.  But they are problems that are easily overcome...and they do nothing to spoil the joy I experience when I wake up each morning to the wonderful view and the sounds of the countryside.

An incident last night though, stopped me in my tracks, and made me consider another aspect of isolation...that of risks and danger.

We had gale force winds yesterday and even though the temperatures were still around 80 degrees F, I had to keep all the doors and windows closed to avoid all the dust and debris flying around.  Mid evening I could hear a crackling sound outside, didn't take much notıce at first as I thought it was the trees in the garden being battered by the wind.  It continued and I decided to check on Beki and Milly to see if they were ok.  When I went outside I could see a fire raging at the bottom of the hill..a pretty large one at that.  For some reason all the street lights were out so it was difficult to see whether it was a house or something else burning.  But most worrying was that it was spreading rapidly and the wind was blowing in my direction.

I phoned Mr Ayak and he was about to jump on the motorbike and head home, but apart from being an hour and a half away, I was very concerned about his safety on a motorbike in this weather. 

I gathered up the dogs and put them in the house, then I unravelled the hose pipe in the garden, in readiness. I'm not sure how effective this would be, but I knew I would have a damn good go at protecting my precious dogs and me!

Three fire trucks arrived and at the same time Mr Ayak called me to say he had phoned someone in the village and they had said that the fire was under control.  Trees and hedgerows were burning and they were quite close to houses, but the firefighters had responded very quickly...and eventually the fire was extinguished.

I suddenly realised my position...we are almost at the top of the hill.  If the fire had continued to spread in this direction, I would have had no means of escape.  I need to think carefully about this...I need to be prepared in future.

For me, isolation is bliss, but sometimes it comes at a price.

15 comments:

  1. Thank God you're okay. I pray you continue to be....lots of love and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pleased to hear that you and your property are safe and sound.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have some escape strategy *up your sleeve* in case anything like this happened again.
    I thought you were describing an earthquake at first!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isolation does have it's price. We live in a small hilltop village, every breath of wind turns galeforce up here, but we live in the middle of the village. If anything happens there are immediate neighbours and that's comforting to know.

    Glad to hear you and the dogs are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that must have been alarming.

    It might be countryside...but it seems like there is never a dull day there.

    Was the fire started by someone.
    Perhaps working out an exit strategy would be a good idea now, but also warning neighbours of the risk´s of fire. Fire´s do occur in Turkey as we have seen in Kusadasi - and it´s alarming at the rate they spread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your good wishes. I am definitely going to explore the little lanes around this village in detail. It's a bit like a maze, but I need to familiarise myself with all the different routes that lead down the hill and out of danger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayak, I've just caught up with what has been happening....can't leave you alone a minute...fire, water, misunderstandings....
    I'm so glad you'll have some time with Mr. Ayak before you go to the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fly: ıt might be isolated but it's never boring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a beautiful place though Ayak, and I know you are very happy there, sometimes life comes by and will throw us a bit of reality, it happens anywhere you go.

    Mine was a phone call from a doctor in a Glasgow Hospice, telling me dad had only two hours to live, and I needed to get there straight away, I live in Southern Ireland, this was 6pm in the evening, could not get a flight, boat, and seeing as I am not yet able to walk on water, I was stuck here, got a flight next day, and my beloved dad was still there, waiting for me, so yes indeed my realisation was, Britain was only across the water, and I could not get off the Island until next day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann: There are always times when living away from family is a problem. I'm glad your Dad waited for you. My Dad did too. He lasted another two weeks after I rushed back on the next available flight...a very precious two weeks..it would have been awful not to have been able to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I got on the plane at Cork the next day Ayak, I had no idea if dad was still with us, my brother picked me up at Glasgow airport, if I had the choice of winning a massive amount on the lottery, or dad being alive, I would have chosen dad.

    My first words to my brother were " Is dad still with us ", he said yes, and my heart was so happy, we drove to the airport, the snow was falling and heavy, but I did not care, rushed into his hospice room, he looked up at me and smiled his beautiful smile, and that face told me everything, I was with him when he died 4 days later, he left this world, with a daughter he loved, holding his hand, and stroking his face, I told him to let go, and I loved him so much, he opened his eyes, looked straight at me, and then he was gone.

    So glad you got to spend that time with your dad Ayak, it will have meant the world to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann: You can't put a price on those precious moments. I don't know how I would have felt if I hadn't had that chance...I've no doubt you feel exactly the same. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me neither Ayak, dad had asked me to be with him, I said of course I will, and my doc friend was saying things like, you might not Ann, you might go to the toilet, or miss the plane, or not get there in time, I naively said, oh Frank, I promised dad I would be there, and I will, and thank goodness I was, because when dad left us, at least I had that wonderful memory, and afterwards I had no regrets, no remorse, no if only's, because when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer, I knew he could not survive, and I promised myself I would do anything, and everything I could to make his life better, and I did.

    Though, and this is a big though, having stopped for two nights on my own with dad, I went home, my sister had come over from America, a few hours at home I got a phone call, it was my sister-in-law, telling me I needed to get there fast, I did.

    Sister-in-law told me the truth later on, dad had deteriorated, and the doctor asked my sister and brother if anybody needed to be here, as he had not long to go, he was barely hanging on, both of them said NO, everybody that needs to her here is here said my sister,
    sister in law thought, this is terrible, Ann needs to be here, she loves her dad, and he loves her, so she phoned, when I got to the hospice, dad was in a terrible way, breathing, rasping, all colour gone from his face, I bent down, kissed him, held his hand, and said, I am here dad, and unbelievably, his breathing became normal, and colour came back to his face, the doctor said I cannot believe this, even though he is in a coma, he knows you are not here, and was so upset, he wanted you with him ", jealousy is a terrible, terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Ann, sometimes when reading things like this and hearing about people falling out with their siblings or their children, I am so very glad I don't have either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good grief! For sure you have an exit route planned out now!!

    How scary that was- just reading it! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes truestarr..I'm prepared now..this was certainly a wake-up call.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x