Pages

Saturday, 7 November 2009

Finding a decent coffee


I'm not a tea drinker, apart from the occasional glass of Turkish çay, but I do love coffee.

It's very hard to find decent coffee in Turkey.  The best I can find in the supermarkets is Jacobs filter coffee for my machine and cafetiere, and Nescafe Gold Blend when I want instant.

However, neither of these taste the way they should.  Gold Blend tastes nothing like Gold Blend you buy in England, even if it is supposedly made by the same company.  And the Jacobs filter is quite bitter....although better than anything else I can find.

So when I come to England I usually try to take back some decent filter coffee, to keep me going for a while.

There are lots of coffee shops in the town where I stay on my trips to England and I've always looked forward to frequenting them and enjoying real coffee.

However, I'm very disappointed this time.  I don't know what's happened but the quality has really deteriorated.  It's either too strong, too weak, or worst still luke-warm.  I haven't managed to drink one decent coffee in the two weeks I've been here.  Have people suddenly forgotten how to make coffee? 

I did have a good one at Starbucks in Istanbul airport on the way here two weeks ago...even if they do charge the earth for it.  I'm so desperate, I'll ignore the cost and look forward to another one on my return journey tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel only it's not coffee with me, but rather peanut butter. I bring back jars of it whenever I go home to America. Almost six months ago, I brought 16 jars over...I'm down to my last three now. On the reverse, I usually take instant coffee with me to US from M & S.

    Glad you're enjoying your time with family. I'm off to see my daughter in about a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed! You go to the UK for decent coffee!!?? I can never wait to get back to Italy for decent coffee, a real espresso. Even motorway service stations in Italy serve excellent coffee, made with excellent Arabica beans at just the right tempreature, the pressure of the machine being meticulously adjusted to give just the right consistency. And all that for €1! I couldn't drink instant and find most coffees served in the UK or elsewhere just thin now. In Germany they try tell sell you cappuccino with whipped cream on top instead of frothy milk and espressos that would be considered americanos in Italy.

    I am quite partial to a Turkish coffee too. You know the really thick stuff, where you can read your future out of the upturned dregs. When I first read the title of your post, I thought you had withdrawal symptoms for the coffee back in Turkey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's really nothing like a decent cup of coffee. Isn't it true?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gifts: There's always something you crave from your native country. Have a good time with your daughter!

    Heiko: You are making me drool with your description of Italian coffee. Of course I do like Turkish coffee (the thick stuff) but after dinner...and not too much. I'm really talking about every day coffee...filter coffee mostly..which is not good in Turkey. I know the UK isn't the best place for coffee...but it's usually a vast improvement on Turkey.

    Gael: Yes very true.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x