Pages

Sunday, 22 November 2009

No such thing as isolation here!


I've spent too much time at home with this blasted flu bug, so yesterday I decided to venture out.  I did attempt to do this a few days ago, but got as far as the village...thought about getting on the bus..but feeling a little weak, decided to return to the house.

The weather is glorious at the moment. Temperatures during the day are in the 70sF, so there was no excuse for me not to get out and get some fresh air.

So I set off for the village and the bus to Milas.

I've seen no-one but my two immediate neighbours for the past two weeks, so it was with some surprise (and pleasantly so) to come across several village women on my way to the bus stop, who in turn greeted me, asked how I was, told me to take care and to get well soon.  I had similar comments on the bus from people from the next village, who I often see on my trips into Milas.

I spent a short time in Milas before catching the bus home.  The bus driver greeted me with "Hoş geldiniz" which means welcome, but is normally used when someone returns from a trip, asked me if England was good, and also said "Geçmis olsun"...get well soon.

So it would seem that news travels pretty efficiently around here.  It doesn't come as a big surprise. I experienced this a little when I lived in Goreme.  It's the way Turkish people are.  Some might consider it nosiness, but I have learned that it's more about the way they take an interest in each other and that they care about those around them.

I have to admit to feeling exhausted on my return home, but at the same time I was very happy to learn that I don't, as I thought, live in isolation here.  It's a very comforting feeling.  These are people I don't really know, but it has made me realise one thing.  That I will make much more of an effort in the future to get to know them better.

16 comments:

  1. Do be careful not to exhaust yourself after a bout of 'flu...but I do know what you mean about how great it is to feel that people you hardly know are concerned about you...such a surprise coming from our individualistic society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fly: Thankyou for your concern..I am indeed taking it easy.

    And it is lovely to know that these people genuinely care. I couldn't imagine trying to live back in the UK now where people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they don't give much thought to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same in our village. The village shop is the local gossip centre and you mention an ill to say the father of the shop keeper or a friend of his and next time you step into the shop everyone gives you concerned looks and asks how you or your wife are.

    Susan finds it very comforting that if I have to go away, that she knows that people are there and actually care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've not been well. but glad you are surrounded by kindness of others.
    Sounds lovely that 70F. Oh so lovely. We are shivering and wet!I'm sure you know what its like here.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heiko: With my husband being away until March, I can understand perfectly how Susan feels. It is very reassuring. Pleased to hear you live in a very similar environment.

    Maggie: The sunshine certainly helps...I do wish I could send some your way..the weather there is absolutely awful isn't it? I do hope the rain and floods stop very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send us some of that Indian summer Ayak! It´s back to being drab and wet today.

    It must be very comforting to have such helpful and warm people on your doorstep. It seems like the village is such a nice place to live, despite the noises at night. You probably don´t even notice that now. Just like my mum who lives under the flight path into Copenhagen Airport ha ha.

    Yes, more contact with them would help in times of need. It is so important to maintain friendly relations with your neighbours.
    They maybe able to help you with dog sitting if you have to go away, and you could in turn help their children with their english homework.

    Looking forward to reading more stories from there.

    I am glad that you are slowly getting back on your feet though.

    Take Care
    Chris
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy your pictures, it is such a beautiful place you live in. I think our area is more like you describe the UK. I have never experienced anything like what you shared about village life, it sounds very nice.

    Sorry to hear you have been sick but glad you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr H...yes it is very beautiful, and I often say that I would even live in a tent if I had to, just to be able to wake up to the wonderful view every day. I'm pretty new to village life too, so it's come as a pleasant surprise.

    Thank you for your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Geçmis olsun" - I suppose it's like that in rural areas, in fact when I lived 'in the woods' in Ontario, people knew more about me than I did about myself ;-) But it can be reassuring to know that someone cares. When they didn't see me for a while I got phone calls to see if all was well.

    I love that photo! What a beautiful area!

    Take care and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm home on holiday in America for three weeks, but I was worried when I saw how ill you had been especially being alone for so much of the time.

    I'm glad your sweet husband came home to get you to the doctor and that now you're on the mend.

    It does look beautiful there...go slowly as you recover completely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fida: Yes I know that feeling that people know more about you than you do yourself! Thank you very much for your good wishes.

    Giftsofthejourney: Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and I hope you are enjoying your trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to come back after being 'home' isn't it? Then you realise you can have more than one home...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gaelikaa...oh this most definitely is my true home. I love spending time with my family in England but it doesn't really feel like home anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many years ago I spent some time in Erzurum, Ispir and Yusufeli in the mountains of Eastern Turkey - wonderful place; fabulous people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mark. I haven't been to the East of Turkey but it's on my list. My husbands family originally came from Sivas which is out towards the East, but I've yet to visit there. Yes the people in this country are wonderful...particularly in the villages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x