Pages

Tuesday, 29 December 2009

And another year almost over


As each year comes to an end, most of us reflect on the events that have changed our lives, and look ahead in anticipation or sometimes dread as to what the new year will bring.

2009 has been an eventful year for me.  It saw the arrival of my first grandchild in April, a dear little boy called Billy.  He has brought such joy to my life, but also sadness because I'm unable to see him as often as I would like.  My daughter and son-in-law were so looking forward to Billy's first Christmas, Unfortunately the poor little chap was taken ill before Christmas and they ended up at the hospital the day before Christmas Eve where he was diagnosed with bronchiolitis.  So they have had sleepless nights as they struggled to help him with an inhaler in a steam-filled room.  It didn't help that my daughter's oven packed up before Christmas and won't be fixed until the New Year,  not to mention her washing machine which also decided to break down.  They muddled through with the help of family and friends...but most importantly, Billy is on the mend..slowly but surely...and that's all that really matters.

When I arrived back in Turkey after my stay in England for Billy's birth, it was to a new home, which I had only seen in photographs.  Mr Ayak had moved all our belongings from Selçuk to an isolated village near Milas, to a house given to us by my father-in-law.  I was apprehensive to say the least, but as soon as I arrived I was pleasantly surprised.  It's everything I could have wished for.  After 11 years in apartments, we now have a garden and a view which is breathtaking.

We have three additions to our dog family. Poor, stray, malnourished and badly treated dogs called Poppy, Milly and Monty.  All three of them, at first timid and withdrawn, now happy, confident, well fed and loved.

Mr Ayak, having been out of work for almost a year, finally secured a job in July which, although within driving distance of home, was so poorly paid that it would have cost more than he earned to commute, so he had no choice but to stay in personnel accommodation.

He returned home in October, the day before my planned two-week trip to England.  The day after I returned from England, he set off to Istanbul to work for the winter and is not due home again until March.  We live in hope that next summer things will be better, and that he will be able to work closer to home.

My two week trip to England was wonderful...spending every day with my daughter and grandson was so enjoyable but the time passed far too quickly.  I'm looking forward to my next trip in April to celebrate Billy's first birthday.

A year of ups and downs and mixed emotions, but I'd say a pretty good one all considering.

I wish you all a very happy, healthy and peaceful New Year.

14 comments:

  1. You must have been so worried about Billy and your daughter. I am glad he is on the mend....but it's not what you want when you are so far away.

    I hope that Mr. Ayak can find work closer to home next year, and that all goes well for the two of you and your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clichés are right - we must count our blessings. I am sorry for your separation from your loved ones but bless you for your balance - and for saving those dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly: Yes I was so anxious about Billy..but my lovely daughter kept me regularly informed by phone, then I saw him on webcam on Boxing Day so I was reassured that he was recovering.
    Thankyou for your good wishes and I wish you a very Happy New Year.

    Frankofile: You are so right..we constantly need to remind ourselves of our blessings. Thankyou and a Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Year's best wishes to you, dear Ayak.

    Thanks for being such a wonderful blogger and sharing your family, and joys and sorrows of living in Turkey with us. You are a wonderful virtual friend as well!

    [Now if I could just get MY blogging "groove" back, I'd be on my way to a happier new year as well!!]

    virtual hugs to you,
    /jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you Mrs. Ayak! It sounds like you are keeping up a positive spirit despite the set-backs. Keep it up! When are we going to see the first photos of that camera of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billy seemed to be the best thing that happened for you.
    2009 has not been good to us but then 2008 was even worse. Lets hope that the New Year will be better, eh!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been very interesting reading about your life in Turkey. Thanks for reading my blog. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to the next 12 months that could see us eventually reunited with our men and managing to avoid problems round the house.

    Heath, fun and friendship to you Ayak

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica...thankyou for such a nice comment..you'll soon get back into blogging again I'm sure and I will look forward to it! Happy 2010 xx

    Heiko...thankyou. Oh dear...the camera..I'm not having much luck I'm afraid..My New Year's resolution is to master it..watch this space!

    Maggie: Let's hope so..particularly for you. You know you are always in my thoughts. I wish for you everything you wish for yourself in 2010. xx

    Monalisa...thankyou and my good wishes to you for the New Year xx

    Julie: Thankyou...we must always try to be optimistic...I have a good feeling about 2010. All the best to you and Mr FF for the new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a very, very happy new year Ayak!:):) I am so looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the same to you Mr H! And maybe I'll give you an Award in 2010 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Ayak!

    So sorry to learn about poor Billy.
    I hope he is much better now.

    Love Chris
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou Mel...and the same is wished for you xxx

    Thanks Chris...and to you. Billy is much better now thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x