Pages

Tuesday, 22 December 2009

I have a fence!

It's not brilliant..but it will suffice until I can afford something better.  After the digging of the holes on Saturday, the man arrived on Sunday, which several children in tow, and put metal posts in the holes and filled with cement.  Then he went away.

Yesterday afternoon he came and fixed the chicken wire to the poles...job done...well almost.  (My friends...I'll call them L..the man, and A...the woman).   L had a look and agreed with me that there were gaps around the bottom where Monty was already starting to dig his way out, and the chicken wire wasn't tight enough.   So L tightened up the chicken wire as much as possible, whilst I put down some spare roof tiles and rocks around the inside of the perimeter in the hope that this would deter them from digging their way out.

The metal posts are very secure but at some point we may need to replace the chicken wire with something more substantial.

And I promise that from now on I will try not to mention the fence again!

The weather was glorious today...clear blue skies and sunshine. A little chilly but very pleasant.  A welcome change from the recent gales and storms.  The forecast is much of the same until Friday when we are due more rain.  So L & A and I will make the most of it and go for long walks over the next few days.  We will attempt to get M & M used to walks on leads with choke chains, so that I can manage this when my friends return home.

Today we are going to Milas market.  We will leave M & M in their enclosed section of the garden..as a test really to see if they are able to escape.  If they do...it will be back to the drawing board.



So it just remains for me to wish all my followers and blogger friends a Very Happy Christmas...I sincerely hope it's enjoyable for all of you.

11 comments:

  1. Mele Kalikimaka & Hao'uli Makaheiki Hou to you and your cherished ones, Ayak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have this fence at last - even if it's not the best in the world.

    As for choke chains Barbara Woodhouse was wrong - they are cruel and bad for their throats. Could you not get a couple of harnesses - our two little ones have those and it seemed to stop them pulling. I've heard awful stories about damage to the trachea with those chains.

    Anyway, enough of me going on - all the best for this hysterical time of year that you and I (and lots of others) think is much too much ballyhoo. As for the new year - may the best of bestest things come along

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glædelig Jul & Godt Nytår!

    I hope you have have a relaxing Christmas with a few bottles of wine, good food and most importantly the company of your friends.

    I´m so glad the fence has been fixed it will make Christmas much more enjoyable for you and take your mind off worrying.

    Wishing all the best for 2010!!
    Chris
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good time with your friends...doggy and human.
    As to the fence, when I had problems with dog burrowing underneath, I made wooden pegs...piece of wood with a triangle out of it, if you see what I mean, and hammered them in along the length of the fence...puzzled him enough for him to lose interest.
    And they ask what we do to fill up our time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas! I'm so glad you were finally able to get that fence up...what a releif. The dogs will love their walks, good luck with the training. Here is a good article on leash training if you are interested.

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Dog-Walking-Leash-Training-Your-Dog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! You have a fence! I'm glad he eventually got it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A happy Christmas with your friends and a fantastic new year to you too! Now tell us again the whole story of that fence... I was going to suggest you go and see your man leaving him a food hamper for his dear poor sick mother. That might have shamed him into action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to know that you got the fence up! Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. UNchecked Other...thankyou and the same to you xx

    FF: It's difficult to know what's best to use. I've heard good and bad reports about choke chains. But have also been told by an English vet that harnesses are also harmful because you are letting them use their whole body weight, and they are apt to pull harder when they have them on, and they can damage the spine.

    Anyway very best wishes for the season to you and Mr FF xx

    Fly: Good suggestion...although so far so good...they seem settled in their new "territory". Best wishes to you too xx

    Mr H: Thankyou and the same to you. And thankyou for the link..I am just about to check it out xxx

    Rachel...yes it's a relief to have it done.

    Heiko: Once again you make me chuckle. Very best wishes to you too xxx

    Kaibee..Thankyou sweetie...lots of love and hugs to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh Amag: Nearly missed you out...that just won't do! Thankyou and all the very best to you and your Mum too ((x))

    ReplyDelete
  11. The rocks may not deter them from digging out.

    I know this is work, and a lot of it, but to keep diggers in you need to bury some fencing turned inward.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x