Pages

Saturday, 23 January 2010

Hairdressers


There are good ones and bad ones...and mediocre ones.

And I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't had at least one disastrous experience at the hands of a hairdresser.  I've ended up in tears many times because of an awful haircut or the wrong colour.

That was when I lived in England. 

Since I moved to Turkey almost 12 years ago, and because we have moved around so many times, I've had countless hairdressers along the way....and I've rarely had a bad experience (touch wood).  Only one comes to mind...my current hairdresser's assistant coloured my hair and it wasn't quite the shade I wanted.  In fact I was probably partly to blame...I think I actually picked the wrong shade on the chart.  However, I didn't like it, I said so, and my hairdresser was happy to rectify it at no extra charge.

Turkish hairdressers are just fantastic.  I don't know if it's the attitude that's different compared to English hairdressers, but they take such a pride in their work, and their aim is to produce the best possible style and colour.  If you are happy then they are twice as happy!

I don't make appointments here...I just turn up at the salon whenever I want my hair done...and it's never a problem.  Everyone else does the same thing.  Sometimes it's done immediately, occasionally I have to wait, but I'm happy to sit and watch other women having their hair done, and the staff are on hand to provide a comfy chair and endless tea.

One thing I really like is not having to talk to the hairdresser if I don't want to, and I'm relieved not to be asked "are you going somewhere special this evening?"  or "where are you going for your holiday?"   Are these questions part of English hairdresser training I wonder?

You don't just have your hair washed by an assistant here...they massage the scalp as well...it's so relaxing. I've  always managed to get my hair done in exactly the way I want it...which I rarely managed in the UK...even though there are  language difficulties to overcome.  Hairdressers here do what the customer asks them to do...not what the hairdresser thinks is best.

Most important...certainly as far as I am concerned...is that the prices are incredibly cheap.  Another thing I've noticed is that when you become a regular client,  after several months, they charge you less!

A wash, cut and blow dry with my hairdresser, Atilla, started out at 7 lira (less than 3 pounds).  When I popped in this morning to get my hair cut, he charged me 5 lira.

Having my hair coloured was 25 lira (about 10 pounds)...but when I had a completely new colour done a couple of weeks ago, Atilla charged me 15 lira.

Having our hair done makes us feel good.  When I queried the price with Attila, thinking that he had undercharged me, he said quite simply that this was the correct price for a special customer.

Isn't that lovely?

5 comments:

  1. Goodness, after the internet and the rain you could do with something to cheer you up......how amazing you get good hairdressers! I used to dislike having to go in the U.K. positively refuse to go to a French one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly cheap. I wonder why things are so expensive here? I can't believe it is because of the cost of the materials. Someone somewhere is making a bomb.
    At the moment I am wearing a wig and often scarves. I reckon I will save hundreds of pounds in hairdressers fees and shampoos etc by the time my hair grows back!
    When I wear my wig (which is a short shade of reddish brown) people say that it takes years off me! Are they just being polite! Or do they really mean it? In the mean time I feel like mutton dressed as lamb. But I feel it is a giggle.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly: I knew that the going to the hairdressers was just the thing to cheer me up after yesterday's doom and gloom.

    Maggie. I really don't see how UK hairdressers can justify the prices they charge. The cost of materials here can't be less than the UK..going by the comparitive costs in shops.
    Oh I bet the reddish brown looks really good. I had blonde (bottled) hair for quite a while and was fed up with having to have the roots done so often, and the sun bleaches it too which doesn't look good. So I've gone back to a chestnut brown..as close to my natural colour as possible, and I'm very happy with it.
    I'm sure you don't look like mutton dressed as lamb. What are you going to do with all the money you save on hairdressers? I think you should treat yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My disastrous hair-dressing experience was having my waist-length red hair chopped off when I was about 8. In the mid-sixties, everyone around had short bobs; I could sit on mine. My parents later told me it was to help me 'fit in' to my peer group. (I was as shy as a shadow.) In fact, I was popular for my new hair for two or three days, then they all went back to their ever-so-much-more clever friends and cliques, and I was left with my hated short hair and my books.

    (I think it was done because I a got hair nits and they had no way to deal with that PLUS the long hair, however, my Mother died before I could ask her.)

    I then cut my own fringe or bangs and my 4th grade school pic is me with my 1/2 inch front hair, curls resulting from being in rags overnight and I'm wearing a Pepto-Bismol pink dress. Just grim.

    I have since cut my long hair off when I am 'ending' a part of myself and something else; be it a relationship, a lifestyle or an unhappy phase of my life. My last 'cut' was summer 2006, I've been growing my hair out since then, and it's back halfway down my back. Lot of grey, yes, (I refuse to dye it, did it once and no one noticed, so, why bother?) but my hair is still mostly red. I think it suits me. It certainly fits this stage of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty. It's funny how mothers decide how their little girls should wear their hair. Mine was the opposite of yours. I had long hair as a child and was a bit of a tomboy and really wanted it cut short but my mother wouldn't let me. It was years before I got my own way.
    I'm constantly changing styles and colours..I get bored very easily with my hair. However it's been short for a while now and even though I'd like it long I haven't the patience to grow it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x