Sunday, 3 January 2010
New year fever
With the strong winds comes dust. Even if I keep all the windows and doors closed, it still manages to get in somewhere...most likely the same way as the draughts which I noticed over the last few days. There were minute gaps in the silicone around the window frames. I hadn't noticed them before the gales...in fact I believe the wind was so strong it probably moved the frames a little...causing the cracks.
I recall us having spare tubes of silicone. I couldn't find them anywhere in the house, but whilst searching I realised how untidy my cupboards and drawers had become in such a short time. So I was distracted. Out came the contents of drawers and cupboards and I proceeded to discard rubbish. Oh...and at this point I just need to tell you that the Muhtar had our rubbish bin delivered two days ago...at long last...so at least I don't have to drag my bags of rubbish into the village anymore!
I was distracted again by the state of the kitchen floor where I had dragged everything out of the cupboards...a mess which had by this time drifted into the sitting room...so I got the vacuum cleaner out...proceeded to vacuum the mess...a bit too enthusiastically...and the plastic brush and the connection to the metal pole just snapped in three places. I thought we had superglue somewhere...but couldn't find it. Only one thing for it...I would have to venture into the old house in the garden and search. This building is dark and dingy, part of it at the front has been converted into a house for Milly and Monty, but the main part acts as a shed really...storage for all sorts of things....but it's a nightmare trying to find anything.
I spent almost an hour in there and managed to find two tubes of silicone, some strong adhesive tape, a plastic shelf unit, and my old vacuum cleaner (which is very heavy and the reason why I bought a lightweight one some months ago....for lightweight read flimsy...hence easily breakable).
I tried repairing the new vacuum cleaner with the tape but failed so I had to clean up the old one, which necessitated taking the whole thing apart because it was so dirty...but at least it works.
Being unable to locate the applicator for the tubes of silicone I just had to squeeze it out and apply to the gaps around the windows with my finger...but at least there are no longer any draughts.
I adapted the shelf unit into two sections which fitted perfectly into two of my kitchen cupboards and thus enabled me to put everything back in some sort of order.
Then I vacuumed and cleaned everywhere. I just managed to hear part of a message on the village public address system that the water would be going off in half an hour, and would be off for 24 hours. Just time for a shower and to fill containers with enough water to get me through the rest of yesterday and today.
It all started with the dust. I could have just got the duster out...but I get distracted so easily....I call it New Year fever....from which, thankfully, I have now recovered!
PS...You've probably noticed I've changed my blog background AGAİN. I have Karen at Background Fairy here to thank for satisfying my obsession!