Pages

Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Waiting Wednesday

Yes I really do feel like I'm waiting for things to happen today.

It started with the water.  Repairs to water pipes in the village have been going on for months now and we are experiencing water cuts every day.  Sometimes for just an hour or so, but occasionally for a whole day. It wouldn't be so bad if it was switched off at the same time each day..but of course that would make life too simple wouldn't it?   I was unprepared for the lack of water when I got up this morning, as I was ready to jump in the shower and I had a pile of washing to do. 

Finally it trickled through the pipes several hours later and although I managed a shower, the water was so slow that  the washing machine had to wait.  The power was also cut a fair number of times today, but just for a few minutes at a time.   Although this doesn't really cause problems as far as general household appliances are concerned, it is extremely annoying if I'm using my laptop, because I lose my connection and it seems to take forever to get it back.

I found myself waiting for Mr Ayak to ring.  He was so low yesterday that I was reluctant to ring him too early today just to say "how are you?" because I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the answer!

A couple of hours ago I was checking my diary and suddenly realised that it is our wedding anniversary today.  We've been married for 11 years.  I had completely forgotten all about it...something I've never done before.  Mr Ayak never remembers...but that's a typical man thing isn't it?

So I decided to ring Mr Ayak, but thought it best not to mention our anniversary, because he always feels bad when he forgets.   I rang...he answered and said "do you know what day it is today?"    "Err Wednesday"...I replied.   He then said "It's our anniversary.  I was waiting for you to ring because you always remember".   So I had to own up to having forgotten....but for once he had actually remembered!  So we both ended up laughing...which made us both feel a lot better.

He seems more positive today. There are customers arriving at the hotel tomorrow, and everything is ready for the business to get underway.  Although his partner Mehmet isn't due until Friday, they have employed another masseur, so there's nothing to stop the hamam being open.

Incidentally, I am slightly more reassured about Mehmet's predicament.  I was starting to wonder if he did in fact have connections with the PKK, but Mr A has heard that ALL the passengers from Diyarbakir (around 20 or so) have been detained until Friday...so I think this is just the jandarma being extra vigilant...or maybe downright difficult!

And of course I am waiting for Sunday and my trip to England...I really need this break and it can't come soon enough.

10 comments:

  1. Happy wedding anniversary!
    Isn't it great that Mr. Ayak remembered the date in the midst of everything else happening!
    So pleased that things are looking up for you both....it will be great to go off to see your daughter and Billy on a high note...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Fly....I can't quite believe he actually remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How we doubt them, our men...usually with reason when it comes to birthdays and anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you and Mr A. Delighted that things sound a bit more positive.

    When I mentioned 'jandarma' and compared it to 'gendarme' I meant the linguistic similarity. Do many Turkish words have a slight Frenchiness about them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness Mehmet is ok and on his way. Setting up a business is difficult, always up and down. Hopefully it will be up all the way now.

    Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fly: Didn't I say only recently I should have more faith?

    FF: Thankyou for your good wishes. Yes I realised you meant the linguistic similarity, but their function is also very similar as far as I know.
    The Turkish language was re-written by Ataturk in the 1920s but it has increased since. I know that I have come across words which are the same or similar to other European languages so obviously the influences are there. Actually it's just made me think that I ought to do a post about the great Ataturk at some time...fascinating man...and way ahead of his time.

    Monalisa: Well of course businesses are slow to get going and we must expect some blips along the way but we're trying to stay positive. Thanks for your good wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary and have a great trip back to the UK. If u come to the South West there will be a cup of tea ..... or whatever .... waiting for u lol. Enjoy seeing your daughter and Billy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou very much Bomb. I'm sure I'll get down to the South West one of these days and then I'll take you up on your kind offer xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that things seem to be coming together for your husband. I hope the news of the volcanic ash over the UK won't mean that you can't go. My mum and her partner were due to visit us on sunday and it now seems likely that they won't be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan: Yes I'm a bit concerned about this. My friends who visited me on Tuesday are due to fly back to England tomorrow morning so they are stuck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will be clear before Sunday...for your mum too I hope?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x