Pages

Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Good Neighbours

The day I set off for my trip to England, Mr Ayak took the dogs with him to stay in the apartment he had rented near the hotel.  He assured me it would be OK.  Unfortunately it wasn't, because the landlord wasn't happy about the dogs staying there.  So he had to take them back home, and then come back to the house as much as he could while I was away.

This wasn't as easy as he had hoped, not only because of the cost of petrol and the distance involved, but because as anticipated May has been very quiet as far as business is concerned.  The disruption caused by the volcanic ash also created a knock-on effect in that hotel bookings were cancelled, so there have only been a handful of customers.  So Mr A needed to be there as much as possible to catch any prospective customers and to go out and about searching for more.

Of course I worried about the dogs.  I had visions of them being left alone for days on end, not knowing when their next meal would arrive, and being lonely without me.

I needn't have worried.  My wonderful neighbours rallied round.  Now considering that the Turks aren't very keen on dogs at the best of times, my lovely neighbours, knowing how much Beki and Poppy mean to me, have gone out of their way to look after them.  One neighbour cooked up chicken livers and pasta, and chicken.  She is scared of dogs, so another neighbour collected the food from  her and came in twice a day to feed them.  The man who lives in the house up the hill from us, came in several times a day to replenish the water bowls, and to play with the dogs for an hour or two.  Yet another neighbour came in regularly to water the garden.

I have of course rewarded them all with English biscuits and chocolate but it was clear they expected nothing in return for what they did for me.  And Beki and Poppy have been well fed and are a picture of health.

This morning I made my way down to the village to get the bus into Milas, and was greeted along the way by villagers welcoming me home, and asking if I had enjoyed my trip.  Even the bus driver said it was nice to see me back home.

It was as you know extremely difficult for me to leave Billy and Stella on Sunday, and I had such a feeling of uncertainty about returning home.  I suddenly felt that I didn't really belong anywhere and the black cloud was still hovering.

A large part of my heart is in England with my dear daughter and grandson, but I now know where I belong.  I truly feel part of this village and it's wonderful inhabitants....and the black cloud has finally disappeared.

16 comments:

  1. Turks again! Super people!
    Yes, especially not being 'dog' people, it was a wonderfully caring effort by your neighbours.
    Glad it helped to pull that cloud away, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they just super Fly? They never fail to amaze me with their generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain shared is pain lessened; joy shared is joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy.

    Spider Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite appropriate Nomad.
    I have to own up to having to google Spider Robinson and there are some very good quotes by him. I rather like this one "...I know good design when I fail to trip over it"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aawh aren't you lucky? My Turkish friends always always try and be helpful in any situation. I look forward to me being able to spend more time ther :) xxx ps love the quote from Nomad

    ReplyDelete
  6. auntiegwen...yes I am lucky, but you probably already know how helpful the Turks are. I've yet to meet a more genuine race to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thank goodness for your neighbours - it would have been a terrible situation otherwise.

    I'm glad you are in a 'good place' once again and completely understand how difficult saying goodbye must have been. Now you've had all these lovely hellos it must really fill you with warmth and happiness to be home.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your village and my village Ayak are clearly the same, except that they speak a different language. Do you have an unelected mayor, popular with everyone in the top part of your village? If so we should get him together with our Piero, who is by popular consent our mayor and twin our villages!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FF: That's it exactly...the hellos gave me a warm feeling...a sense of belonging.

    Heiko: We don't have a mayor but we have a muhtar who is head of the village..which I guess is similar. I've never heard of Turkish towns twinning with others. I'll investigate and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't feel bad about not knowing who Spider Robinson was. I didn't have the slightest idea before I saw the quotes. Sounds like he might have been a baseball player.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yey : happy feelings return - ps it's cold here as predicted ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you feel more settled, and what super neighbours. I would have been very worried about the dogs too. I know what you mean about a black cloud (just catching up with your posts) as I have one that appears on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nomad: He does sound more like a baseball player than a writer.

    Kelloggsville: Yes am much happier now. Very hot here today!

    Jan: There's not a great deal to be done about the "black cloud" other than to just go with it, knowing that it will go eventually. Of course if it lingers for too long then further help is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww how absolutely lovely they sound wonderful neighbours xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. They certainly are Bomb xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x