Pages

Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Cheesecake

I love cheesecake, so it's surprising that I've never attempted to make one before.

I've looked at various recipes over the years, so I have a vague idea in my mind what ingredients are needed.  Mr Ayak bought a large quantity of cream cheese and two cartons of yogurt when he popped home on Saturday, so I was suddenly inspired to make a cheesecake.

Now..as is usual with me.. whenever I decide I want to make something, I've never got all the ingredients. I made the decision NOT to search the internet for a recipe, because I knew that every recipe I found would require something that I just didn't have.  I thought...I'll just go ahead and make it anyway...what's the worst that can happen?  It could end up in the bin or the dogs?  No big deal!

I had some biscuits similar to digestives but with raisins in.  Not a huge quantity so the base would have to be quite thin.  I melted margarine (I would have preferred butter but didn't have any) and added the crushed biscuits together with a dollop of honey.  I lined a round tin with tin foil, pressed the base into it and popped it into the fridge.

In a large bowl I put around 500 grams of cream cheese and about the same of low-fat natural yogurt.  I added some lemon juice and another big dollop of honey (I have a vague recollection that one should use sugar but I thought honey would be better).  I then added 3 large eggs and whisked the mixture throughly.

I poured it into the tin and baked in the oven for about 45/50 mins..I'm not sure of the temperature because I kept watching and adjusting it and hoping it would be OK!

This is the cheesecake straight from the oven:



It looked as though it might well collapse when I came to remove it from the tin so I put it in the freezer for half an hour.   I then carefully removed it and coated it in the plum jam that I made on Saturday. 

 

It doesn't look terribly neat but the real test was what did it taste like? I wasn't too optimistic but it is absolutely delicious.  I can't quite believe how nice it is.  I should have weighed all the ingredients properly and written them down, because I'm not sure I'll be able to reproduce it again....and I definitely want to!

25 comments:

  1. Its so nice when thinks work out well, as long as it tastes lovely thats the important thing, we focus too much on things looking just so, and I am the worlds worst at wanting things to look perfect hehehe. Now you have made me want to eat something sweet and have a coffee. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Cheescake! You are very brave to make it without a recipe. I used a recipe the one time I tried to make one and it still didn't turn out well. I'm totally impressed that you could subsitute and have it tasty. My daughter can taste a food and then come home and reproduce it without a recipe. Now..that's talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very nice! I've never made cheesecake, but now that we can't go to Asda maybe I should try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bomb: I was quite surprised at how well it worked out...even though it doesn't look brilliant.

    Charlotte Ann: I don't think I'm brave...more reckless! I've always been like that with cooking...some things work and some don't. Yes I agree your daughter has a talent!

    Jan: It tastes far better than it looks. It was really so easy to make, it's worth having a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cheesecake too Ayak! What a shame you didn't weigh everything out as you say, you could have given us the recipe!!

    But if you'd weighed everything, you may have started thinking, well that's not right and started changing quantities and not ended up with something so nice.

    I can't wait until I next have guests as I've decided to make a cheesecake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piglet: You're right. If I'd started to write it down, I would have kept tweaking it. Sometimes guesswork is best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great when something turns out so well. I've often made cake recipes with all the right ingredients, temperature etc. and it's rubbish. Either you've got it or you haven't...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monalisa: Me too...I've followed recipes to the letter and had a fair few disasters. I don't always have it I can assure you...but today I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Ayak, that was genius! I mean people spend ages to master the art of making a perfect cheesecake and you did it! Just like that. Just a few days back I had cheese cake at a local diner (it was heavenly) and my cousin and I were talking about how difficult it is to make one.
    You did it. Seriously you should have written it down somewhere and then posted on your blog!

    And if you are interested in baking or looking at pictures of tasty food, visit my cousin's blog http://bakefresh.blogspot.com. I am sure you would like it!

    Nice work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaibee: Well I wouldn't say it was perfect but I might work on perfecting it now that my basic agttempt worked.

    I'll have a look at your cousin's blog...thanks for the link xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelloggsville: Well it doesn't look as good as it might but it tasted very good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the world's worst cake maker, but I can do cheesecake - if only I can get the biscuit for the base.
    That one looked scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fly: I'm not very good at cakes either, but this was surprisingly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, that looks amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't remember the last time I had a nice slice of cheesecake. That has my mouth watering! Well done Ayak!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be around for coffee, subito! Or have you eaten it all up already?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Mel and Gaelikaa xxx

    Heiko: I've put half in the freezer to stop me eating the lot! I'll save you a bit to have with your coffee :-))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks amazing. Mouth watering blog :-)
    Don't try and reproduce it, it's never as good the second time. Start with another random lot of ingredients and go for it. How wrong can you be lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheesecake is by far my favourite desert and you know what...I've never tried to make one either!! Yours sounds gorgeous and has made my mouth water!!

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I think it looks delicious! I have to confess that I admire you endlessly - I'll try a recipe and THEN eventually tweak it. But to try to invent something like you did? Truly amazing! That's how my grandmother came up with some of the recipes that our family still follows today. Thank you for sharing, I think I'll try to bake a cheesecake myself now. Not very Portuguese LOL! But we have excellent cottage cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad it tasted wonderful. Two things could have contributed to it looking the way it did the first is the lemon or the second if you had placed your pie plate on a cookie sheet with water it helps keep the cheesecake from cracking. Never thought of plum on cheesecake. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rosie: That just about sums up my cooking...using random ingredients!

    Carol: Have a go..it's easy!

    Astro: Nice to see you again! I like trying different things..some work and some don't..but thats how we discover what we like isn't it?

    likeschocolate: Welcome! Thanks for the tip...I'll certainly do that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 'Cross the Pond: It was very nice...it's all gone now...here's to the next one!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x