Pages

Tuesday, 1 June 2010

A Facebook Weekend

I've been a bit scathing about Facebook in the past.  I wasn't too impressed by their security...although to be fair they have improved recently.  At one point I was tempted to delete my account, because I thought it was all a bit of a waste of time.

This weekend I experienced something quite wonderful on Facebook.  My best friend since we were 11 years old (more years than she and I care to remember!) has been waiting for a happy event.  I know just how she felt, because I was going through the same thing just over a year ago.  Her lovely son's wife was about to give birth to their first child, and my friend's first grandchild.

Daughter-in-law was admitted to hospital on Saturday to be induced.  Son was with her of course, accompanied by his Blackberry.  He posted the info up on Facebook. 

Gone are the days when the father-to-be had to keep rushing outside the labour ward to make phone calls to keep family and friends updated.  The world and his wife are on Facebook these days.  Just as well...because we were all able to follow this happy event with the regular updates.

It was nail-biting stuff.   You could feel the anxiety with every post.  Saturday passed...as did Sunday and all day Monday, and after what can only be described as a gruelling labour, their beautiful daughter entered the world last night weighing in at 9lbs.   You could feel the collective sigh of relief from my friend's son's Facebook network when it was all over.  It's almost as if we were all there with them, willing this baby to hurry up and arrive, so that her mother could finally get some rest.

My dear friend posted up her congratulations...words so full of emotion, they brought tears to my eyes.  I'd love to be with her now to share her excitement and pride, but thanks to the wonders of technology, I not only know how she is feeling, but expect to talk to her about it on webcam as soon as her feet touch the ground!

I haven't mentioned my friend's name of course, but she knows I love her and how happy I am for her.  And my love and best wishes go to my friend's son and his wife and their beautiful baby girl.

So I take back my criticism of Facebook...this was a unique and wonderful experience for those of us living so far away.

5 comments:

  1. I am on facebook and from day to day its shall I delete or not but I always seem to stay lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is a business and folk have to remember that. I've got an account so that I can keep in touch with family, but every time Fb make any change I go through my privacy settings with a fine toothcomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bomb: I'm the same, but on this occasion I was glad I was there.

    Jan: Yes of course you are right and this is something I am very conscious of. I am constantly going through my privacy settings in case I missed anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do vacilate between deleting and keeping my Facebook. I don't post on it much nor play any of the games but I do check on it daily and I'm still with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte Ann: I never play the games and although I've been tempted to delete my account, I do recognise how useful it can be for keeping in touch with friends and family. I also get to see new pics of Billy when my daughter posts them.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x