Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Hot or Cold?

I've spent the day in the bedroom...the coolest room in the house.  Oh I did get up at 5.30am, fed the dogs and let them out, watered the garden and did some housework.  But by 7.00 am it was already too hot to do anything else.

Poppy likes staying in the house, whatever the weather, but Beki loves to be outside.  Even she can't bear this heat and both dogs have been flat out on the cool bedroom floor all day.

It's now 36 degrees (that's 97 in fahrenheit...I'm of the age where I can only really grasp fahrenheit).  It's only mid-June.  July and August will be much hotter.  And for the twelfth year running I'm dreading it.  I seem to find it harder every year to cope with the heat.

Shopping in Milas will now have to be done early morning.  That was the plan yesterday.  I caught the 8.15am bus and intended to return on the 9.45am bus to the village. I arrived at the bus station at 9.30am in plenty of time, but the bus was cancelled so I had to wait in the hot, sticky, shadeless bus station until the next one at 10.30am.  It was market day in Milas, so the bus was crowded and I found myself pushed up against the window by a very large woman with sweaty armpits, and several bags of vegetables. And I'm always amazed at how many clothes the women here wear when it's hot.  Long skirts, long sleeved tops, usually with a cardigan on top, and the obligatory headscarf of course....and socks with their sandals!  Socks...for goodness sake!

Then there's the climb up the hill when I get off the bus.  I swear I will die on that hill in the middle of summer.  I'll never know how I manage to get as far as the house without passing out.

Of course most people who move to Turkey do so for the climate amongst other things.  Not me...I moved here for love of course.

So it has prompted me to ask the question.   Are you happy with the climate you live in?  Do you prefer hot or cold weather?

My ideal climate would be around 65 to70 fahrenheit for most of the year, but with cold spells every so often.  I like to sit outside in the sunshine but not when it's too hot.  There's nothing I like more than snuggling up under the electric blanket in winter. Mind you...talking about my electric blanket right now has made me feel quite faint!

So...what's the perfect climate for you?

(Edit...whilst writing this post the temperature has risen to 100 F.  I think I should get rid of the thermometer...somehow knowing the temperature makes me feel worse!)

19 comments:

  1. Would you please send some of that hot weather my way, in exchange I will send you cold, wind, and rain if you would like.:)

    By the way, I loved reading your last two posts. I find the real life stories you tell about your village to be so very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr H: Thanks...I'm glad someone finds my stories interesting!

    Oh and I would gladly do a swap with some of the sun for some of your cold, wind and rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I'm based in Izmir by the sea, so we get a decent cool breeze to temper the heat. When there's no wind? It's awful. Then again, in hot summers we jump ship to the proper seaside and when there's swimming the heat isn't bad. In winter we head over to family in the states where there's snow, so the climate changes are pretty perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're here because the drier climate is so much better for Steve's arthritis. Having said that, I don't like it when it's too hot and stay inside, although we usually get a breeze which is nice. We've got unseasonably cool at the moment and it's about 10 deg C outside in the mornings, but at the moment it's up to 27deg. We do get very cold in the winter though, and I do love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its hot out here too... boiling hot...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too darn hot. Right now I am dreaming of... one of those mornings in January- Izmir winters- which is to say, September to most people- rainy cool mornings when cars on the streets sound like slow motion velcro. When the wind spits bits of icy rain on the window and a step out onto the balcony is like opening the fridge. A heavy soup on the stove and coffee stays on until late afternoon.
    Ahh.. of course, by the second week of winter I am usually thinking of how the weather feels at this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lale: Sounds like you have a good system for getting the best of the weather. It's windy here today but soooo hot!

    Jan: I agree with the climate being good for arthritis, I also have it and feel better for it. I also love winter.

    Mel: Oh I bet it is!!

    N omad: Your description of a January day is just spot on. Lovely. The problem with the weather is that you can never please everyone all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can cope with the heat, I always find it amusing when I go to Turkey in October, it's around 70 and I'm in my bikini, when Nurat comes to do my pool, he's wearing jeans and a fleece complaining about the cold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've lived on the north coast of Ireland 3 miles from the North Atlantic, in London, California, Southern India and now in Italy. And you know what? I don't really care. I take it as it comes: snow, wind, rain, heat, non fa niente. I do like the changing seasons though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. auntiegwen: I know what you mean. A friend of mine from England visited in April. There was I, still in long sleeves and jogging bottoms and she in her vest top and sandals! And the locals? Still in their coats!

    Heiko: Of course you have the right attitude, and clearly cope with all types of weather. I wish I could be the same. I can take anything except extreme heat...I wish I could get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, it was Christmas and I had gone shopping in the capital.
    It was about 16 degrees C and the shops were being stormed by people buying woolly coats and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love reading your very descriptive posts about life in Turkey. I have learnt so much from you.
    I wonder why the locals wrap up so warm. I wonder if it is to do with their religion..... not showing skin?

    That heat would kill me. I am at my best at between 65-70F (A day like today was.) I love the cool breeze on my face and have to sit in the shade if its hotter than that.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fly: I can well believe it. It can be much like that here.

    Maggie: Of course it's partly to do with their religion, in not exposing skin....but they cover their skin..but then pile jumpers and cardigans on top..so I think they are just used to the heat.

    65-70F is perfect for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, so it's really hot here too. but you know, living near the cost the nights are much cooler and pleasant. So it ain't that bad.

    All I wish is a moderate temperature with cool wind blowing. Just like the nights in Karachi!

    I hope you get through the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I tagged you back. I want you to answer my questions too! :)

    http://diaryofanallpakistanigirl.blogspot.com/2010/06/tagged-love-you-ayak.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kaibee..I'd be happy if it was a little cooler at night but it isn't at the moment.

    Thanks for the tag-back!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG thats too hot for me now, I used to love it though. Same in Spain for dressing up in winter woolies, Brits used to come for the sun in Spring wearing skimpy tops and shorts and the Spanish all covered up with jackets on! I too love your blog and the real-life stories ... u should write a book on your Turkish life xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bomb: I wonder if we become less tolerant of the heat as we get older? It seems to be so in my case.
    I wouldn't know where to start with a book to be honest. I think there are loads of books about ex-pat life out there, I'm not sure there's room for another one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x