Monday, 21 June 2010

Monday in Milas

Mr Ayak gave me some money on Saturday to get some more shopping.  I know..it's difficult to believe that I actually needed anything else after his mammoth shopping spree, but in his haste to buy expensive food, he had forgotten basics like eggs, washing powder, toilet rolls etc. There was also enough spare cash for me to get my hair done...long overdue...I had dark roots on top of dark roots!

When I arrived at the bus stop in the village I noticed the Muhtar go into his office so I thought I would just pop in and ask him about the rubbish collection...again!  Mr A informs me that he doesn't recall it being collected since before I went to England.  Well that was the 6th May...so you can imagine how it's piling up.  It's as well I found something heavy to cover the bin or the smell in this heat would be appalling...even though I wrap all the rubbish several times.

Anyway the Muhtar was full of more excuses and apologies and promises to deal with it.  Then along came the bus so I couldn't pursue the matter further and he gave a sigh of relief!

When I was going through some paperwork yesterday I found the receipt for the payment of my postbox in Milas.  I had paid for a year but this ended on 28th May.  I hadn't received a reminder from the PTT but I thought it would be a good idea to go in and pay again.   How many Turkish post office workers does it take to renew my postbox subscription?  The answer is three.  One to search for the receipt pad, another to find carbon paper to insert in same (yes...they're still using carbon paper here...isn't that quaint?)  And a third to supervise the whole procedure.  So between the three of them they wrote out all the details again, using my old receipt for information.  Man No. 1 said it was valid for a year.  Man No. 2 said it was valid for 7 months.  And Man No. 3 realising that I was confused, actually wrote the expiry date on the receipt...28th November 2011!   "2011?" I asked.  "Yes" he replied.

So I have absolutely no idea when it expires...but I only had to pay 3.5 lira so I'll check it out again some time in the future.  On second thoughts I'll get Mr A to check it out!

Next stop the eczane (chemist) to try and find Ibubrofen gel.  I bought some in England last year.  It's wonderfully soothing for my aching back and I like the fact that it doesn't smell of anything.  I hate all those anti-inflammatory creams that have a really strong smell.  It can be a bit embarrassing on a crowded bus.

I found a Turkish equivalent...although a cream rather than a gel...but the main ingredient was 5% Ibubrofen which is the same as the English one.   Well now I'm at home and have tried it, I realise that they have added other things...things that make it smell.  It's mostly a lavender smell but there's something else there as well that I can't quite work out.   I wonder why the manufacturers feel the need to do this?  Maybe it's because the Turks need to smell something to believe it's doing them some good?  Anyway I'll only use it when I'm in the house.  It will do for now.

I paid a visit to my hairdresser who agreed with me that my roots really needed doing.  Even though I ask for the same colour, I get a different shade of red each time I have it done.  Today's shade is rather nice though. I like it and have asked him to make a note of it so that it will be the same next time...but I won't hold my breath that this will happen!

It was by now coming up to midday so I made my way to the bus station and got on the bus.   A lovely young Turkish girl, from one of the other villages near us, asked me where I came from.  When I said I was English she proceeded to practise her English on me.  I am quite used to this.  It usually doesn't last much longer than "My name is... what is your name?"  "Where are you from?" "How are you?....I am fine" etc etc.  But this girl did manage a little more.  She was so bright and cheerful, I guess around 16 years old.  Anyway she reverted back to Turkish and was telling me that her older sister was about to go to university, but that she had decided that it wasn't for her.  She just wanted to get married and have lots of babies!  I thought what a pity she can't do both.  But I didn't say anything because her mother was sitting next to her, and you never know what the reasons are behind her statement.  Maybe they can only afford to send one child to university, and this girl just accepts that it won't be her?  I don't suppose I'll ever know...but she was so bright that I thought it a shame she wouldn't have the opportunity.

The bus left at 12 o clock for the 20 minute or so journey to the village.  However, there was something going on in Milas today.  The flags were flying off all the balconies and buildings, and there was a strong jandarma presence.  And traffic...lots of it!   And we were stuck in it...for over an hour, in a hot sticky bus, with the temps in the mid 90s.  I don't know what was happening because it isn't a national holiday as far as I know.

I was sweating of course, along with everyone else.   You know that sometimes when you have your hair coloured, there is still some excess colour which comes out after the first wash?  Well...my head sweated...and I had pinkish red streaks running down my face.  But of course I didn't notice until I arrived home and looked in the mirror.   Oh how embarrassing!!

13 comments:

  1. You could pass it off as your contribution to whatever festivities were happening? No, probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new reader, I love your blog! I just wanted to ask you, how did you learn Turkish? Was there a certain website or books that you used? My husband is Turk and I'm sure we will be moving back there at some point, I find Turkish very difficult and am having quite a time remembering things. I check your blog everday for updates, you have become my morning coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fly: Hmm...very funny...not :-)

    Anonymous (do you have a name?)

    Hi and welcome. Now I have to own up to my Turkish being very bad. I agree it's a difficult language and I've always struggled with it. It doesn't help that my husband's English is so good, because it's made me lazy. However, I do get by. My vocabulary is quite good, as is my pronunciation, but putting a sentence together is a real struggle. I understand more than I can actually speak, and I think this has come from listening to people. The other good thing to do is to watch Turkish TV programmes, attempt newspapers, etc, and by far the best way is just to live amongst Turkish people and learn as you go along.

    So I guess I'm not the best person to ask, because I've never really attempted any formal Turkish lessons...maybe I should have!

    But I never go anywhere without a dictionary, because just to find the correct word is helpful. Also the Turks are always so patient and willing to help, which makes life a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor you, with those red streaks :-( Crowded buses in heat are horrible, as I recall from back-packing in Turkey a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan: Yes it was incredibly hot. I'm surprised that no-one said anything to me about the streaks. The Turks are usually pretty up-front and outspoken about such things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Ayak your post just made me smile, I so love to hear your stories and the streaks bit sounded so funny ... sorry lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bomb: No need to apologise...I was embarrassed yesterday but have laughed about it today xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm Terri (Anonymous) Thank you for the response! :) I would imagine your Turkish is quite good since you are able to manage shopping and going to the salon, etc alone. A few years ago we had a dish outside our home that would pick up Turkish tv shows, and I was SO stuck on Yabanci Damat, I never missed it. During that time my understanding of Turkish was quite good, but I still couldn't speak much. It really helped me and I'm trying to talk husband into getting it back, but he's found internet tv so he is happy with that. I don't forsee us staying here (in the US) much longer and I really enjoy your blog, it gives me an idea what it's like to actually live there. I've always liked visiting but moving is quite different, as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Terri. Nice to see you here again. No my Turkish is really not good. It does seem much easier to understand the language than to speak it.
    Which area do you anticipate moving to? We have lived in a few different areas (if you wade back through the blog under the label "My Turkey Journey" there is more info about different places.

    If you open a google account you can join my followers list which will keep you up to date. Better still why don't you start your own blog? It might be useful to write about your move when it comes about and how you feel about it all at the time?
    If you start a blog..let me know and I promise I will be your first Follower. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah...beautiful picture. I love seeing the scenery where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I have thought about starting one, if for nothing else other than having memories for my daughter of her childhood. I'm not very good with grammar and such, so I'm not sure it will be worth reading. I think we will be living in Kastamonu, my husband says Ankara or Izmir but his family is in Kast and I can't imagine him going too far from them. We shall see! :)


    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlotte Ann: Thanks..I must take some more pics of the area.

    Terri: I've never been to or even near Kastamonu. I've heard it's very beautiful. It's in the north isn't it?

    I can't see anything wrong with your grammar, and in any case I don't think you should let anything like that stop you from blogging. I don't have the way with words that so many other bloggers do, but I don't think it's important. I started this blog for me mainly, and was quite surprised when people started to follow it.

    So I think you should just go for it. You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x