Monday, 16 August 2010

Natural Yoghurt

My favourite breakfast at the moment is natural yoghurt with figs just picked from my trees, and a drizzle of honey...delicious!

Some of my pomegranates are  ready now so I have also tried the juicy seeds sprinkled on my yoghurt....also delicious.

Yoghurt is extensively used in Turkey, accompanying most savoury dishes.  I love yoghurt and never get fed up with it.  I know it's good for me, but I thought I would explore the internet for more information on the health benefits of yoghurt. 

The primary benefits of natural yoghurt are simply a result of the potassium, calcium, B12 and other B vitamins and protein that it contains.


The claimed benefits of yoghurt include:

reduced gastrointestinal infections

improved immune system (resistance to illness and infection)

greater resistance to cancer

reduced incidence of osteoporosis

treatment of, and reduction of the symptoms of, thrush

lactose intolerant people can often consume yoghurt, because the enzymes in the yoghurt help reduce the lactose levels in the intestines - thus gaining the benefits contained in all milk based products (above all calcium)

improved absorption of calcium in the intestine, because the lactic acid in the yoghurt provides the perfect environment for this absorption to occur
 
It's also believed that yogurt can lower cholesterol. There are a few studies that have shown that yogurt can reduce the blood cholesterol. This may be because the live cultures in yogurt can assimilate the cholesterol or because yogurt binds bile acids, (which has also been shown to lower cholesterol), or both
 
There was a report by the BBC in 2005 that  also indicated that  yoghurt could help beat bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease.
 
The first evidence of yoghurt being eaten dates form 2500 BC.


Certainly the first yoghurt would have been discovered accidentally, with milk being left too long in the sun or a warm place. How long it took before somebody announced that the rancid milk had become a tasty dessert is less clear...

It is likely that the climate in India, Asia and southern Europe was responsible for yoghurt being found there long before cooler climates. It has also been suggested that the nomadic Bulgars may have found yoghurt spontaneously produced in their goatskin bags, and brought it to Europe with them in the second century AD.

Yoghurt remained in India, Asia and southern/central Europe for the next couple of thousand years, little known to the rest of the world.

It was early in the 20th century that the suggestion arose that Bulgarian peasants owed their long and healthy lives to the substantial amounts of yoghurt they ate, which was the first step towards yoghurt conquering the world.




(Information obtained from Wikipedia and various other websites)

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I love having yoghurt along with my food, Ayak. It's fantastic. I love having it instead of butter with my toast because I have to avoid cholesterol. It's truly a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gaelikaa...a gift indeed. I hadn't thought of trying it with toast...might do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds divine. I wonder if you'll be offered loads of freebies from yoghurt companies now? I keep hoping I'll get offered free stuff but not happened yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. auntiegwen...now there's a thought! Although I doubt anyone from any yoghurt companies read my blog!
    I also don't understand all this stuff about giveaways on blogs either. It all sounds a bit complicated to me. Although I'd be happy to be given anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore yogurt!! My mum makes her own and it is THE most delicious creamy yogurt I've ever had.

    (I don't think I've ever had a fig...might try that for breakfast one day cause it sounds scrummy!)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol: Fresh figs are just wonderful. I've loved them for years but they were expensive in the UK. Imagine my delight when we moved to this house last year to find we had two fig trees in our garden...bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds absolutely delicious I am so jealous of the figs and pomegrantes with your yoghurt xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make yogurt at home most of the times. I love it a lot too. I eat it with all my meals :).My next project is to make greek yogurt at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bomb: I wish I could parcel up some pomegranates and figs and send them to you...of course you could always come and pick your own!

    CJ: I've never attempted to make my own yoghurt...maybe I should have a go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The taste of yogurt in Turkey is quite unique. I heard they use different bacteria than in the US or in Europe. It almost has a nutty flavor and is delicious straight from the container. I never thought I would have like the texture of it but I love it.
    I recall my grandmother loved buttermilk and as a child, I thought, "I love the taste of butter.. and I love milk." So I took a swig of it and it nearly came up faster than it went down. Soured milk!! And now, here I am, after all those years, buying ice cold ayran.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nomad: Yes you're right the flavour is quite different. I should have mentioned ayran in my post. I don't drink it often...but have to have it with a doner kebab or pide...somehow nothing else will do.

    (For those of you who want to know what ayran is...it's a drink made by mixing natural yogurt with water, whisking it well and adding salt to taste)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really informative Ayak.
    I love yogurt too. I like it with sugar and in peach and mango flavors!
    Here in Pakistan, we have savory yogurt our food. It comprises of herbs and spices and chilly. Known as Raita! We also have a sweet or salty yogurt and milk beverage known as lassi or chaach.

    -Yogurt lover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat my yogurt with honey and walnuts almost every day. For variation, sometimes I will add fresh fruit (I love it with fresh strawberries!)

    Here in Greece (as in Turkey), the yogurt is thick like sour cream -in fact I use it instead of sour cream!

    When visitors come from the US, I often insist that they eat some yogurt and honey as the bacteria are healthful and LOCAL and it prevents them from getting a "bad tummy" from eating foods they're not used to eating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds wonderful! We eat a lot of yougurt here in our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fascinating. I love yoghurt as well - I knew it was good for me and it's nice to now know the history!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kaibee: Mango sounds good. Lassi sounds similar to our ayran.

    truestarr: mmm honey and walnuts is a good combination. You're right about the prevention of stomach upsets....I have far less of them because I eat yoghurt regularly.

    likeschocolate...another yoghurt fan!

    'Cross the Pond: The history is fascinating. I didn't know much about it until I researched it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved yogurt in Turkey...especially the buffalo milk variety.
    I make my own from raw milk when I can get my hands on it..then we have raita, lassi galore and cook with it too.

    I had no idea just how good for you it was, though...thanks for all the information!

    Still can't sort Blogger, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fly: I too was surprised to read about all the benefits of yoghurt.

    Blogger is becoming a bit of a pain isn't it? I've been wondering whether to print out my blog because I think I might lose it altogether one of these days. Thing is I'll have to borrow Mr A's printer from work...and there's just so much of it to print.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ayak, you don't need to print your blog out, you can download it to your hard drive. Find the export button in settings or somewhere.

    Re tomato sauce, yes it keeps perfectly in jars but I do sterilise the jars in Asda sterilising tablets. Then they go in the oven to heat up for 10 minutes before I spoon the hot sauce in and put the lids on. Leave to cool and you should hear the jars sealing i.e. that button on the lid clicking down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One clarification; The ancient Bulgars were a group of Turkic people who lived in what is called Bulgaria today. The modern day Bulgarians have nothing to do with the Bulgars ethincally or linguistically.

    The word yoghurt comes from the Turkish word "yoğur" which means to knead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jan: Thanks for the advice on my blog and tomato sauce xxx

    Erin; Hi and welcome. Thanks for the clarification. I gleaned my info from various websites, and should have checked more throughly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I eat a yoghourt every day but I think that *live* yoghurt is much better for you. You have given me the idea to get some *live* yogurt. Thank you!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x