Friday, 13 August 2010

Some more old photos

My brother is restoring some old photos of our parents.  I posted some here a little while ago.

I always think of my Dad when I'm feeling a bit low.  I'm not religious but I still feel a connection with my lovely Dad, even though he died some years ago.  I don't believe in heaven or another place where people go when they die.  I just believe that you keep a little bit of your loved ones in your heart...well that's the best way I can describe it.

I was thinking about him this morning when an email arrived from my brother with some more old pics, so I thought I'd share them with you:

My Dad is on the far left at the front in this picture.  He used to sing in the choir at Shottesbrooke Church, Waltham St Lawrence, Berkshire. I remember him telling me that he had pulled his cassock down as far as possible to hide his boots, because he was embarrassed about being the only boy with boots, when the others all had shoes.  My Uncle Den (my Dad's brother) is on the far right at the front.


Not sure how old he was in this photo, but what a handsome young man he was!


A very proud young man, having just joined the Merchant Navy at the beginning of the second World War.

15 comments:

  1. Morning Ayak. What always strikes me about these WW2 photos is how old the lads look when they are only about 18. They seem to look about 40. And it's not just the war ageing them it seems to be just a look they go for. Definitely no teenagers then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you look a bit like your Dad, which isn't surprising! It's lovely to have old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Rosie: I agree..they didn't seem to know how to look young. There wasn't much variety when it came to hairstyles or clothes..they all opted for the same styles..whatever their age.

    Jan: I have my Dad's eyes..definitely...unfortunately they are very small and seem to get even smaller as I get older!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing for sure...... they were handsome lads!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and lovely to remember x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Rosie's right...you were either a child or a grown up...nothing in between.

    ReplyDelete
  7. auntiegwen: Thanks..yes it is.

    Fly: Yes Rosie is right. I wonder if it was because many youngsters left school and started work at a young age...there wasn't any time for the teenage years as we know them. And then the war started which made them grow up pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree... all the pics of my Dad in his late teens show him in a suit, looking like he's at least 30. These days men in their 40s and 50s are still trying to look like they're teenagers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. planetgermany: A warm welcome to my blog! Yes its definitely the clothes (and hairstyles). Oh I agree about 40 and 50 year old men today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I do love these photos! How angelic your dad and his brother look--they closely resemble! My dad was a navy man in WWII also! He's been gone since 1991 and I still miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stickhorsecowgirl: From the stories my Dad told me, he and his brother were far from angelic in their choir days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie: For some reason your comment on this post and a couple of others were in my Blogger spam box...I didn't even know I had one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely photos, Ayak. Arnt' they great to have?

    ReplyDelete
  14. gaelikaa...yes they are, and I'm so pleased they are not lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i always thought that, even if there is heaven and hell, there is no way they will look like as they are described - which more likely seem like some ego-boosting stories.

    but then, there are some computer games which you play god, and people go to heaven or hell as your wish. and what if we are also in some sort of a computer game, or some sort of a virtual-reality maybe? then, there is a probability that everything they told us about heaven and hell are true.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x