Pages

Tuesday, 3 August 2010

The wrong bus

Travelling by bus in Turkey is so easy.  Even if you don't speak the language you can still get from A to B with very little hassle.  The destinations are clearly marked on the front of the bus and if you need to get off somewhere before the final destination, you just tell the driver and he will oblige.

This morning I caught an early bus at 7.30am from the village to the main road.  As I got off the village bus I saw the Bodrum bus on the other side of the dual carriageway, so I waved and the driver waited for me.

Unfortunately it wasn't the Bodrum bus.  I just got on without looking at the front of the bus because it was the same style as the Bodrum bus.  It was in fact going to a place called Gulluk.  But I didn't realise this until about 10 minutes into the journey, it suddenly turned off the main road.  The bus was pretty crowded and I struggled to get to the front to ask the driver if this bus was in fact going to Bodrum.  "No" he said "but don't worry, just sit down and I will sort it out"....or words to that effect.   So I sat back down, and waited.  The driver phoned someone on his mobile phone and I couldn't hear what he was saying except that Bodrum was mentioned.   We continued on this road for about 15 minutes, and I have to admit I was getting a little anxious.

Then I saw a bus coming in the opposite direction.  Both drivers flashed their lights and sounded their horns and pulled up parallel to each other.  The drivers had a brief conversation and I was told to get off the bus and on to the other one.  I offered to pay for the journey so far, but the driver just told me to give it to the other driver.

This bus was even more crowded, and I found myself perched precariously on a 6 inch high plastic stool in the gangway...hoping desperately that it wouldn't break under my weight....and we continued back the way I had come, and on to the main Bodrum road.

I finally arrived, having added about 40 minutes to my journey, and was only charged an extra 2 lira for the adventure.

This is the first time ever in 12 years that I can recall  getting on the wrong bus...but thanks to kind and helpful Turkish bus drivers, I had no need to worry.  They always make sure you get to your final destination.

14 comments:

  1. i take the wrong bus more often than i would like to admit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jedilost: Hi and welcome to my blog. I've just popped over to yours and see that you are also in Turkey. I wonder if you are in a city...which might make it easier to get on the wrong bus?

    (I'm just about to become your first Follower and will be back to read your blog later)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How annoying makign the mistake but how nice for it to be put right by the drivers .... they sound so lovely and kind xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bomb: Yes they are lovely. And do you know what else I like? I half expect other passengers to snigger at my mistake...but they don't...it wouldn't occur to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous story of kindness and help, it just wouldn't happen in sooooo many parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No chance in France...no blasted bus in rural areas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan: Yes just another example of how helpful these people are.

    Fly: I am so thankful for the fact that bus services are so good here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in Istanbul, and this city is full of buses. Even though there are distinctive signs to tell you where these are going, sometimes i just forget to look at the signs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Istanbul, and this city is full of buses. Even though there are distinctive signs to tell you where these are going, sometimes i just forget to look at the signs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. jedilost: Ah that explains it then!

    (I noticed your message on the Blogger Help page reporting that you couldn't post comments here yesterday, but now you have managed it, so I'm wondering if the problem has been resolved for everyone)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it works fine for me for now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jedilost: Fingers crossed the problem seems to be resolved for others too now. Lets hope it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting the wrong bus is awful, it's happened to me a few times too..

    ReplyDelete
  14. gaelikaa: well it was the first time that I can ever rember getting the wrong bus, but it won't worry me if it happens again

    (Haha...you're catching up...and I'm following you!)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x