Pages

Friday, 3 September 2010

A bit poorly today

"Get well soon" in Turkish
I woke up in the early hours of this morning with excruciating stomach pains.  When I tried to stand it was worse, and even more so when I tried to walk.  It's at times like this that I really hate being alone.  Well I was determined not to bother Mr Ayak until I really had to, and I didn't want to ring him until I was sure he had had a night's sleep.

I was hoping it would get better so I forced myself to keep moving about, but after a few hours I gave up and collapsed on the bed.  So eventually I phoned Mr A.  He came over on the motorbike but there was no way I could go into Milas on it, so I settled for the bus.

Because we don't have medical insurance at the moment, and money is scarce we had to settle for going to the devlet (state) hospital.  I have to say I was rather dreading this because previous experiences of devlet hospitals in Turkey haven't been good at all.  But I knew I had to see a doctor so there was no choice.

I was actually pleasantly surprised...and very impressed at the service.  Of course we had to pay because we didn't have insurance but it was a fraction of the price of the private hospitals.  There's an awful lot of to-ing and fro-ing and picking up pieces of paper in Turkish hospitals.  I have never understood the system...if you can call it that.  It's confusing enough for the Turks...so I would never manage on my own.  And of course it's extremely rare to find anyone who speaks English.

I saw a doctor, had a thorough examination, went through my medical history, and he felt certain there was some sort of infection.   I was sent off for blood and urine tests.  We waited an hour for the results then went back into see the doctor.  The tests clearly showed signs of infection, but he wanted to be sure so I was sent for an ultrasound.   And to my utter surprise and joy, the doctor who did the ultrasound spoke perfect English!  What a lovely young lady.  She has just moved from Istanbul a week ago, lives on her own in Güvercinlik (on the way to Bodrum) and hasn't really got to know anyone yet.  We chatted for quite a while and have exchanged phone numbers and hope to meet up.  She is a keen photographer and wants to come out to the village to take some shots of the scenery and animals..

She did a thorough ultrasound.  Immediately picked up on the cyst on my liver which was discovered two years ago.  It hasn't changed in size so its nothing to worry about.  My kidneys are fine, and also my ovaries (I was reassured by this as I actually thought this might have been the problem).

So with her report in hand, we went back to the original doctor, and it would seem I have a very bad urinary tract infection.  There is an added complication in that I was bitten by a mosquito on my hysterectomy scar a couple of days ago and I have had an allergic reaction to it which has resulted in swelling and bruising.  So together with the infection, I feel like I've been kicked very hard in the stomach.

I have antibiotics and three other types of tablets...so hopefully it will all be cleared up soon.  So now I'm home.  Mr A has tucked me up in bed and set off  back to work.  He didn't want to go but he really has to be there at the moment.  So I've promised him that I'll ring if I need him.

The total cost of all this treatment was 44 lira...about 19 English pounds.....although the medication cost us 50 lira.  Still pretty amazing though!

25 comments:

  1. That was very good value for money. Would have cost the earth over here if done privately.
    I expect that the mosquito bite was the cause of the problem.
    Hope you make a very quick recovery and feel well soon. Take care.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope you get well soon. the paper work in turkey is rrally daunting, but i have to adnit the current government really eased things off. this is probably the only thing they did right

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie. I too thought the bite was the cause of the infection but apparently not...just coincidence. It was good value. Thanks for your good wishes xx

    jedilost: Thankyou. Oh the paperwork certainly did need to be eased off. It's better but still not as good as it could be.
    And I can't think of anything else this government did right!

    (Glad to see that you can post again. I think I realise what the problem is now...and have managed to find a solution)

    ReplyDelete
  4. perhaps you should write in your blog about the link problem and how you solved it. that will be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jedilost: Well I followed an instruction I picked up from someone else's post on a similar problem on Blogger Help. Although the first time I tried it, I got confused when I read the links they provided and it didn't work. I went back a second time and just went into the HTML box and clicked on the "revert widget templates to default" and it worked. So I'll copy and paste it here:

    "First enable all comment settings :

    http://tipsforbloggers.blogspot.com/2007/10/tips-on-blogger-comments.html

    Then backup widgets :

    http://betabloggerfordummies.blogspot.com/2007/03/backup-widgets-template-data.html

    Then click on 'Revert widget templates to default' link at the bottom of the Template code box.

    ............but I honestly don't understand any of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I experienced with those types of infections, once you get the antibiotics, you should start feeling better very quickly. The body can't seem to deal with it but the antibiotics normally knock it out right away.
    Take care of yourself, dear and great news about the medical costs. At least that's something you DON'T have to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, remember all that crap I had to go through about the pics posted on my blog not showing for readers in Turkey? Apparently it is fixed now.
    Hurrah!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nomad: Thanks my dear friend. Hoping the antibiotics will work tonight and things will be better tomorrow.

    And yes I'm very pleased that I can now see more of the stuff on your blog...glad its fixed...but how did it get fixed??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God things are in control now. That seems to have been an awful ordeal.So nice that you met the nice doctor.I hope you can get the rest you need

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to find that the doctor spoke english. I'm glad you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gaelikaa: It wasn't much fun but at least its nothing serious. Thankyou xx

    Jan: Yes the English-speaking was definitely a bonus! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you have had all this to cope with when you have all the other problems too...but what super treatment!
    I don't know if antibiotics take you the same way, but if I have to take them I seem to get a bit down and depressed for about three days...then it's over.
    I put it down to the pills.
    Look after yourself.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fly: Yes I'm very impressed at the treatment. I haven't noticed this with antibiotics, although I have had a wide variety of them over the years.I'm allergic to penecillin so have to make sure I'm not given it.
    Thanks for your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So the health care problems are not just limited to the U.S.!!!
    Glad you found quality treatment and hope this finds you on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stickhorsecowgirls: Thanks..I am a little better this morning x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get well soon Ayak! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I'm so sorry to hear of this - it's awful being alone when one is in pain (been there) and one just wants one's mum back to make it all better.

    So glad you have been diagnosed and by such a lovely sounding lady as well - who could well become a future kindred spirit friend. I hope the treatment kicks in quickly. I also have terrible reaction to mozzie bites and have quite a phobia of them - in fact I have recently bought three canisters of anti mosquito spray from Tesco - I hate sprays normally but anything is better than being bitten.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. FF: Well I take all the necessary precautions against being bitten..sprays, plug-ins...you name it..I use it. But they still manage to get me. I have built up a fairly good immunity to them over the years and the majority of bites disappear quickly. It's just the odd one that flairs up. And I really didn't need this one on my stomach along with the infection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you're feeling better soon. Being sick is the worst - especially anything involving the stomach. You should be right as rain soon with the antibiotics. - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get well soon, hope the antis kick in quickly am thinkin of u xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ayak - I hope you are feeling better soon. If the antibiotics do not do the job you might consider eating a few cranberries in some form, if possible, every day. I have seen it work.

    http://www.cranberryinstitute.org/health/urinarytract.htm

    How very fun to have found a new friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'Cross the Pond and Bomb: Thankyou xxx

    Mr H: Thankyou also. Its not easy to get cranberries here..in fact I don't ever recall seeing them. I am feeling much better today though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you are feelıng better!! I havent had much experıence wıth hospıtals ın Turkey but the one tıme I was sıck my father ın law took me to a government hospıtal and they fıxed me rıght up. Even got to see a specıalıst! Back ın the US ıt would be 5x the cost and probably get to see a nurse... and probably have to waıt a few days for that appoıntment ınstead of gettıng rıght ın.


    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terri: I have to say that I was really impressed considering this was a state hospital. I guess there are good and bad hospitals everywhere. I was very lucky.
    Thanks for your good wishes x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x