Pages

Friday, 1 October 2010

Power cuts

So much for catching up with chores yesterday.  The power went off at around 9.30am and didn't return until 12 hours later.

The water went off at the same time but returned early afternoon.  What was very strange though was that I managed to get my internet connection about an hour before the electricity came back on.  I don't know how that could have happened...perhaps there was just a little power coming through at the time.  Who knows?

Mr Ayak returned home and discovered that the power had returned to the rest of the village and it seemed that it hadn't reached our house for some strange reason.   I didn't mind too much.  I was happy sitting in the dark because at least I was connected to the internet.  But...typical man...he comes in...switches off all the trip switches and then back on again..thinking this might do something.  It did...it lost me my internet connection and we still didn't have electricity.  He phoned the electricity company and eventually power was restored.

The in-laws left yesterday lunchtime.  They have to make a detour on their journey to visit the elderly grandfather who has been in hospital.  I am amazed at these grandparents, who are in their 90s and are still hanging on to life.  I spoke to grandfather on the phone when we made the usual phone calls during Şeker Bayram.  He and grandmother get quite emotional when they have phone calls and usually end up in tears...bless their hearts.  We haven't seen them for such a long time, and we really must try to make the journey soon.

Mr A earned some money yesterday acting as a taxi service for one of the guests at the hotel, who had to make a round trip to Torba to collect his son.  Mr A had to leave home at 6.30am yesterday to do this.  He then did the same trip early evening.  Other than that he only had two customers at the hamam yesterday.  There's nothing so far booked for today or tomorrow, and just one customer on Sunday, so I think we will be closing then.  It's really not worth spending money on fuel to get there now.

The temperature is dropping at night now and I can feel winter just around the corner.  I love this time of the year.  The days are still very warm and it's lovely being able to sit outside without suffocating in the heat.

I can't believe it's the 1st October today.  This year has flown by.  I am desperately missing Billy and my daughter and we are hoping to scrape enough money together for an air ticket so that I can go over to see them within the next couple of months...another case of wait and see.

I'm posting this early because more power cuts are due today...and I need to switch on the washing machine and get out the vacuum cleaner before we set off for the hotel.  I should make a start on the rapidly growing pile of ironing too, but it'll just have to wait!

9 comments:

  1. The weather here is getting bearable if not downright enjoyable! yeah..Fall, I'm ready for you!
    I feel the same way about the internet. I'll give up most things just don't take my internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Charlotte Ann
    or my coffee in the morning.

    My net-link was cut this morning and would re-appear and would be cut again. I went angry, sad, worried and then happy and relieved, to explosive in one hour. And I then think.. oh god what are the politicians doing now?. Some new court ruling making English forbidden on internet in Turkey between the hours of 8 to 12 midnight or something stupid like that. Anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this weather too, but just wished it lasted for more of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte Ann: My feelings exactly.

    Nomad: Actually I'm also with you on the early morning coffee...wouldn't like to sacrifice that either.

    You're getting paranoid about the politicians! Although to be honest nothing would surprise me!

    Jan: Yes me too

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've said before, you are so tolerant of even major inconveniences. It is amazing to me that you don't get ruffled.
    I suppose it wouldn't help though and the electricity wouldn't come on any faster.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be leaving the ironing until last, too.
    How typical of a man to start throwing switches....women leave well alone when something, anything, is working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie: Oh believe me...I do get ruffled!

    Fly: Oh yes very typical...and they don't think to mention it first..they just go ahead and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the ironing can wait. Linen always looks best stylishly crumpled anyway

    ReplyDelete
  9. FF: I've decided all my clothes will now look stylishly crumpled :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x