Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Lemon Curd and Shortbread

I was asked for my recipe for lemon curd from one of my followers, OJ, so here it is.  I don't know where I found this recipe but I've had it for years.  I only make up a small quantity at a time because it doesn't keep for longer than a week or so in the fridge.

6 oz (150g) granulated sugar
Grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
4 large eggs
4oz (100g) unsalted butter

Place the sugar and lemon zest in a bowl.  Whisk the lemon juice with the eggs and pour over the sugar.  Add the butter cut into small pieces and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Stir frequently until thickened...about 20 minutes.

Pour into pots and store in the fridge.

********************************************

I'm about to make some shortbread today, so I thought I would also share my tried and tested recipe with you.  Another one I've had for years and which uses semolina for an extra crunch.

110g melted butter
50g sugar (the original recipe says caster but granulated works just as well)
150g plain flour
25g semolina

Mix the butter and sugar together.  Fold in the semolina and flour.  Mix and form into a dough.  Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for a couple of hours, which helps to stop the dough from crumbling too much.
Flatten the dough and form or cut into shapes.  Bake on a lined baking tray for approximately 15 to 20 minutes on 200 degrees.

(I usually double up on the quantities for this recipe...because I love shortbread and can never get enough!

Happy baking!


Please note:  The pics I've used are not mine, they are as close to the ones I make as possible.  Simply because I've finished up the last lot of lemon curd....and when the shortbread is cooked today, it will be eaten before I have time to get the camera out!

13 comments:

  1. yum!! both look awesome! thanks a lot for the info and for sharing! as soon as I make the curd I'll send you my feedback (and review from my family ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome OJ...and pleas do let me know what you think xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sound fantastically wonderful. What can you use the lemon curd for? I'm dying to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Cross the Pond. We eat it on slices of fresh bread or toast, you don't need butter with it. We also get some small sweet bread type thingies called puaca which we have for breakfast. I think it would be good with croissants too. There's always the traditional Lemon Meringue Pie that uses lemon curd too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it...off up the hill for the lemons!
    I love lemon curd and now the hens are laying...and laying...I have spare eggs.

    I'm going to see if I can buy semolina...I'm sure it's somewhere, I just have to be able to recognise what it's called!
    I used to make mine with rice flour but the crunch sounds good.

    I'm not a good baker but for some reason I'm improving lately....I even made puff pastry last week....don't know which of us was more surprised at the success!

    If only I could improve at Blogger...which now won't put up my posts on French Leave...well, can't be lucky all the time...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum Ayak, havent had any home made lemon curd since I was a young girl and that was a long time ago lololol. Im on a mince pie making session today, trouble is I eat them so quickly and gain about 7lbs hahahaha xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fly: My daughter asked me for the recipe for the shortbread last week and she couldn't find semolina so made it without and it was fine. If you can't find it, maybe you could try ground almonds or other nuts?
    I never baked cakes and biscuits when I was in England..I was useless but for some unexplained reason I seem to be able to do it here??
    As for Blogger...don't get me started. I have no explanation for the fact that some people were unable to post comments here for weeks and now suddenly they can!

    Oh Bomb I really meant to bring some mincemeat back with me to make mince pies. I suppose I could have a go at making i,t from scratch but it's such a bother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shortbread recipe sounds really great. My wife is excited to try it...she was looking for another treat to make and this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to make them but I'll need an oven and that I don't have.

    Merry Christmas Ayak, if I don't meet you again in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gaelikaa: What a pity you don't have an oven..you're missing a treat.

    And a very Merry Christmas to you too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ho, hum and ha! ....stranger than fiction, I was just about to pop out and buy the ingreed's to make a lemon citron tart, as we are all a bunch of lemon luvvers over here. But scratch that thought, I think I'll just follow your lead here and make a batch of lemon curd, roll out some pastry and splodge it all over with the lemon curd. Thank yow one for this Ayak. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're most welcome Phil. I'm about to make another batch myself in a day or so as our lemons are just about ready.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x