Pages

Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Memories of my Dad

I was reading a post by Bombshellicious this morning about her father and how she came across his watch, which she is now wearing and I started to think about my Dad.

He died about 10 years ago.  I say "about 10 years" because I have a tendency to forget the dates when those close to me pass away.  I don't know if my memory deliberately blocks the sad dates and only remembers the happy ones..I have a feeling that this is exactly what happens.

This photo was taken of my Dad and I at some function or other.  My mother was never keen on attending such events as she suffered from Parkinsons Disease for many years and was reluctant to go out.  So I often stepped in or my Dad would never have had a social life.

I never had a good relationship with my mother when I was growing up.  I wanted a better one with my Dad but for many years he just went along with my mother's wishes for a quiet life. 

It was only when I reached my late 30s that my Dad and I became closer.  It was as a result of him apologising to me one day for all the times he felt he had sided with my mother against me.  So from then on we had the relationship that he and I had always wanted.  We had days out together.  Day trips to France on the ferry, shopping in the hypermarket, followed by a lovely meal in the ferry restaurant on the return trip.  And every year we would go to Royal Ascot, get dressed up and have a lovely champagne picnic on the Heath before having a flutter on the races.

When he had a massive stroke and became disabled, he really missed our trips.  I would take him shopping with his wheelchair and then we would have a coffee after, but I know he hated being dependent on anyone. Later on he bought a mobility scooter which gave him some independence and he was able to pop into town for shopping and to visit me. 

I moved to Turkey a couple of years before he died.  Although I was glad to have had the chance to fly back to England and spend three weeks with him before he died.  He never met Mr A but they did chat on the phone once.  They would have got on very well.

Bomb's post made me stop and think about what I have to remind me of my Dad.  Only three small things.

Firstly, his old driving license which reminds me that he was a terrible driver...dreadful.  Even when he had his mobility scooter he drove it much too fast and if he was in town people had to leap out of his way to avoid being run down!  Yes,  Dad's driving was a standing joke in the family.

Secondly, his membership card to the local leisure centre.  Before his stroke he belonged to the Early Risers Club.  He would go off to swim at 7.00 am every morning. He loved it.  I have a  sad memory of this too.  After his stroke he missed the swimming club dreadfully.  One day, without telling anyone where he was going, he managed to get himself on the bus and to the leisure centre.  He somehow negotiated the changing rooms and got himself into the pool.  Goodness knows how he managed all this, he must have been so determined. Unfortunately he just couldn't swim or stay afloat anymore, got into difficulties and had to be rescued by one of the lifeguards.  I cried so much when I heard what had happened.  I was just so sad for him, but at the same time I admired him tremendously for his courage in attempting to do this.

I am not at all religious, but I do feel my Dad's presence at certain times.  I do have conversations with him in my head, particularly if I'm going through a difficult time.  I think it helps me to find the answers.

And the third memento of my Dad?  It's a Santa Claus candle.  It's never been lit.  He had two of them..the other one is a snowman and my brother has that one.  The Santa candle comes out every Christmas, whether I celebrate the occasion or not, and it takes pride of place.  My Dad loved Christmas...the family, the food, the carols, everything.   So this candle brings back lovely memories for me.

I think my brothers probably wondered why I only chose these three things from my father's belongings when he died. I had my reasons of course.   The simplest things can give us the best memories.

9 comments:

  1. So wonderful that you were able to build a relationship with your father in the end. What sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Ayak small things can make the best memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right...you don't need the big things, just the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom wore a man's watch as her eyesight began to fail. I have that watch, her drivers' liscense that she acquired late in life..and she too was a scared and scary driver and I have her pin that she was so proud of from Hardees' ( a fast food place) where she made biscuits for breakfast meals served there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found that to be a very moving post.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments everyone. I enjoyed the memories that came flooding back when I wrote this post today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very moving post Ayak. I lost my dad 23 years ago and like you when times are hard, somehow his memories and knowing what he would say, helps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bren and thankyou. Memories can be so comforting at times xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. appreciate the hard work and time taken to do this write up.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x