Pages

Saturday, 26 February 2011

Baking, Burns, Blisters and Batteries

The sun is shining today after a week of storms, gales and torrential rain.  It's a relief to be able to open all the doors and windows in the hope that the soggy carpet and damp walls will eventually dry out.

Good weather always makes me feel energetic and wanting to do something, so I rummaged in the fridge and cupboards today to see what I could make with leftovers and the dregs at the bottom of jars.

I made mercimek (lentil) soup from stock that I had from cooking a chicken this week, using up the last of the lentils in the jar.  A neighbour gave me a huge bag of spinach this week and also a small amount of brocolli.   I made spinach with eggs yesterday.  All I do is chop and fry onions in olive oil, blanch the spinach in boiling salted water...drain and chop and add to the onions in the pan.  I then make some wells in the spinach and crack an egg into each one, cover with a lid until cooked.  We then eat  it with crusty bread.

Today, I blanched the rest of the spinach and stored in plastic containers in the freezer for future use.

Next, I found some cheese which was slightly stale, but still edible.  I decided to make brocolli and cheese quiche.   I haven't made shortcrust pastry for years and I had a vague recollection that the ingredients were twice the amount of plain flour to margarine, plus water.  Anyway I had a go and made enough to produce two quiches.  I baked them blind (using the last of my dried beans) and then made up a mixture of grated cheese, beaten eggs, milk, mustard and seasoning, added this, along with the cooked brocolli, to the pastry cases and baked in the oven.

At the same time I made one of my "very adaptable" cakes...or "Turkish cake" as it's now well known in Costa Rica (according to Fly).   I had no nuts or dried fruit, so I just used the remainder of the lemon marmalade I recently made.

Lemon cake and brocolli and cheese quiches
At this point I decided to get out the camera and take some photos.  Unfortunately I only managed one before the batteries died.  Here it is...but it's very blurred....

Last week I wanted to make some shortbread but I didn't have butter so decided to use margarine instead.  I can't really consider it to be shortbread without butter so I'll refer to them as biscuits.  So that the taste of margarine wouldn't overshadow the biscuits, I added some cocoa powder and they were very good...well at least Mr A says they were and he demolished the lot within a couple of hours.

I made some more today, with margarine again, but I had no cocoa so I added cinnamon.  Of course I can't show you them because of the dead batteries in my camera, but they look and taste really good.

I'm afraid I'm very clumsy when I'm busy in the kitchen.  I burned myself twice on the oven and now have blisters on my hands.  I've also just spent an hour scraping pastry off the floor and vacuuming up flour which got spilt and which Poppy decided to walk through.

With the last bit of energy I have left, I'm now off to tackle a pile of ironing....groan!

But all in all a very satisfying and productive day.

23 comments:

  1. Food looks absolutely great and you are so good at making stuff xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's sorted my problem of what to cook tonight...I haven't done a quiche for ages and I have some leeks that need using and some cheese!

    As to the cake...I kept on making it and giving the recipe, so it was fun to go for coffee with a friend and have it presented to me as Turkish cake...totally oblivious that the recipe was yours and had come from me in the first place.. !

    It was pronounced 'very adaptable'!

    It has taken over the town, obviously...I await its conquest of the country and the morning cookery programmes on the TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me feel tired just looking at all you've accomplished,, Ayak. Well done! Sun's just come out here, so hoping my energy levels will rise:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Can you point me in the direction of the Turkish cake recipe, please? Adaptable sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't like quiche and they look tempting so they must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bomb: Thanks. I really have to be in the mood though!

    Fly: Haha...we will have our 5 minutes of fame if it reaches TV! I love it that my cake is becoming famous in Costa Rica..who would have thought it?

    Oooh leeks...I think my next quiche will have to be leek and cheese xxx


    P in T: I have to admit I'm feeling exhausted now! The adaptable cake recipe can be found on my blog..just follow this link:
    http://ayak-turkishdelight.blogspot.com/2009/07/extremely-adaptable-cake.html

    Kelloggsville: I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of quiche but it was nice and Mr A has just polished off two big slices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for the recipe, Ayak. It's quite like a recipe a friend once gave nme, but I would never have thought of using substitutions to vary it as you suggest. Yum! I can feel my hips widening at the very thought :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome P in T. My daughter originally gave me the recipe. I don't know where she got it from so who knows where it originated? I'm afraid I make far too many of these cakes. I like the challenge of finding new substitutes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to bake, especially with my granddaughter, but we make a terri ble mess! I plan to take a cake decorating class with her in early summer, a gift for her birthday, so we should be making even more messes together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be exhausted after accomplishing so many things. I think this explains why the photo of cakes seem blurred :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Translator: Hi and welcome to my blog. Yes it could be one explanation...it could also be that I'm a lousy photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stickhorsecowgirls: That sounds like it will be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quiche and lemon cake sounds delicious...lucky Mr. Ayak. The grandson and I are always fighting over the last piece of quiche.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Quiche...and I'm afraid I'm not good at substituing when cooking. At best, cooking is not my strong point so experimenting is definetly out of the question. Your quiche looks awesome and I love lemon ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr H: The quiche was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, having not made one for years.

    Charlotte Ann: I like lemony things too...and this cake was very lemony...we ate some with some custard that arrived from a friend in Fethiye yesterday...delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything sounds delicious. I always burn myself too. You should see the scars on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. skyfighter: thankyou and welcome to my blog. I'm clumsy with anything that's hot...I burn myself when I'm ironing too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you Mrs. Beeton?

    You remind me of my wonderful Mother-In-Law who could do wonders with leftovers. Mind you, I think it was living through the war years that made her keep waste to a minimum - too right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mrs Beeton, Jack? I wish!
    I've always been thrifty with food (not mean...just careful) even in the days when I wasn't so hard up. I learned the habit from my mother, who learned from my grandmother. It's a good habit to adopt in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quiches look great even blurry. I just made another batch of your lemon curd this weekend. I can't seem to live without it now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'Cross the Pond: Oh you've reminded me..I really need to make some more lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The quiches and cake look delicious Ayak. Isn't it funny how 'baking time' just comes upon us all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x