Friday, 4 February 2011

Bread Pudding

I've been making bread pudding for as long as I can remember.  My mother used to make it, and my grandmother before her.

There is no real recipe. Like most of the things I cook it varies depending on what I have available.

But basically it's an excellent way of using up old bread.  I say "old" rather than stale, because I don't think many of us these days actually keep bread until it's stale, but bread that is a day or two old is fine.   Although sliced bread keeps longer doesn't it?  I can't remember as I don't buy it here.

Anyway, this is how I made my bread pudding today.

Break up bread into pieces and soak in milk in a large bowl until soft but not too soggy.  Add to this sugar and a couple of eggs.  Now if you have shredded suet to hand add some of this for a better result.  I can't get it here so I throw in some margarine.  Then add some dried fruit...anything you have.  I happened to have figs and sultanas today.  A pinch of cinnamon or mixed spice adds to the flavour, as does a couple of tablespoons of jam or marmalade.   I used the last of some apricot jam and some of the lemon marmalade I made the other day.

Mix all the ingredients together and place in a greased baking tin and flatten down.  Sprinkle a little sugar on the top.   Bake at around 160 degrees for...how long?  I don't remember...but you can tell when it's cooked because it will be firm to the touch and will start to brown on the top...just like the picture.

Don't worry about quantities or ingredients...I don't and it always turns out fine.

It's delicious hot with custard, cream or icecream, and just as nice cold with a cup of coffee......enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes....I'd forgotten this childhood treat!
    I've been making bread and butter pudding a lot just lately, so this will ring the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling it might be one that you would remember too Fly. I also love bread and butter pudding. I'm trying to think of some more recipes from my mother's and grandmother's time...they were experts at using up leftovers weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try that as it looks like something I would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing. Your creativity in the kitchen always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gifts: Hi...do try it...so easy and very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love this pudding. I made one the other day as we had some stale village bread... it only takes a day to get stale! I tend to make mine a bit sloppier than yours so that it's a bit egg-custardy inbetween the bread, but either way it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. me: Hi..sometimes I put too much milk in mine by mistake and it ends up a bit sloppier..but as you say it's still good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to remember something called Nelson pudding, which I think was a bread pudding with sultanas....does it ring any (ships') bells with you?
    I can get suet here...though it means grating it myself and the butcher is very confused because here they use it for dubbin for boots!
    I gave him christmas pudding though, and he liked it..enough to ask for the recipe for his poor wife to make it.
    So I can make Sussex Pond Pudding with our own lemons, and roly poly.
    Puds go down well here where people have a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. do you cream the marg or just put some nobs in?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fly: Isn't it funny how things get used for something quite different in other countries..ie the suet for dubbin?
    I've not heard of Nelsons pudding but I always put sultanas in mine anyway.
    Oh and I have lemons so can you tell me how to make Sussex Pond Pudding please?

    Kelloggsville: Just small nobs.hmm that sounds a bit rude doesn't it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A suet crust...but if margarine works, then use that.
    Line the bowl and leave enough for a lid, then take one decent sized lemon and cut it into eight segments still joined at the bottom and put it in the lined bowl with equal parts of butter and sugar... I can't think of quantities, but my mix goes half way up the lemon, if you see what I mean.
    Lid on and steam.
    My aunt used to bake hers, but I prefer steamed.
    Lovely smell when you cut the crust open.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh Fly...that sounds really good...definitely one to try...thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ayak, I love bread pudding! I will have to try and make some!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy Yummy. This has just sparked off my appetite and taste buds. In my youth my Mum used to have a busy cafe in Lyndhurst in Hampshire, and every day she would make two big slabs of bread pud and set them out on the counter. They'd rarely survive beyond lunchtime and if I ever wanted a piece I'd have to pay like everyone else. And I did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Piglet: It's so easy..have a go.

    Phil: We opened a small cafe when we lived in Turgutreis and I made bread pudding most days...it was also snapped up before lunchtime.
    Oh shame your Mum made you pay :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! :D it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x