Friday, 4 February 2011

Life is Good...an award

I am really happy to accept an award today from Mr H at Subsistence Pattern.

This is particularly special to me because when I first encountered Mr H in blogland we got off to a bit of a shaky start.  He had commented on another blog that I followed and was a bit scathing about blog awards.

Well...we had a few words...sorted it out...took on board each other's opinions and have been the best of blog friends ever since.  And here he is, accepting an award and passing it on to me...who would have thought it?

Mr H's blog is so interesting.  He and his wife are pretty much totally self-sufficient, and his blog is full of useful advice.  You can learn an awful lot from people like him....well worth having a look.

Thankyou Mr H...such lovely words from you, and very much appreciated.

So in accepting this award I have to answer 10 questions:

1. If you blog anonymously, are you happy doing this? If you are not anonymous, do you wish that you had started out anonymously, so that you could be anonymous now?

I did start out anonymously, and to a large extent I am still anonymous.  However, my real name has cropped up a couple of times.  It doesn't bother me too much although I would prefer to use my "anonymous" name on my blog (you never know who's reading!).  I have of course added blogger friends to my Facebook friends, so they know my real name now anyway.


2. Describe an incident that shows your inner stubborn side.

Oh I couldn't possibly think of one incident.  I am stubborn pretty much all of the time.  It always surprises me that Mr A tolerates my stubborn streak...Turkish women are so different, much more laid-back and easygoing..not stubborn at all.

3. What do you see when you really look at yourself in the mirror?

I see me...a face with lines and wrinkles that is ageing faster than I would like.  But I wouldn't attempt to change it...even if I could afford to.  All these lines are our life's experiences...they make us what we are.  In any case just a facelift would not be sufficient...there's little point in having a youthful face if the rest of the body is sagging!

4. What is your favorite summer cold drink?
Well I'd like to say a chilled glass of dry white wine, but I'm not keen on Turkish wines.  But if I happen to be in England I enjoy a glass or two of Pinot Grigio or a dry Cava.  I really love champagne but rarely get the chance to drink it.

5. When you take time for yourself, what do you do?
Most of my time these days is for myself.  I worked very hard all my life, and carried on working from time to time when I moved to Turkey...when jobs were available.  I'm retired now, so this is my time.  I enjoy blogging, reading, and sitting outside admiring the view...as long as it's not too hot.

6. Is there something that you still want to accomplish in your life? What is it?
I'm pretty satisfied with my life.  I'd really like to live long enough to see my grandchildren grow up, and I'd love to have enough money to visit my family in England more often.  I'd also like Mr A and I to have a holiday together...just the two of us...something that we haven't manage to achieve in almost 13 years.

7. When you attended school, were you the class clown, the class overachiever, the shy person, or always ditching?
I hated school.  I left early...a year before taking my GCE's.  I regretted it later.  I realised that I wasn't stupid and that I should have concentrated more, learned more, because I spent years trying to catch up with my missed education...and that is not the easy option.

8. If you close your eyes and want to visualize a very poignant moment in your life, what would you see?
About 12 years ago, Mr A returning late at night from work, in the pouring rain, on a motorbike, covered with a plastic rubbish sack to keep him dry, carrying a little bag containing a cake for me.   He used to do this every night...lovely! 

9. Is it easy for you to share your true self in your blog or are you more comfortable writing posts about other people or events?

I actually share more in my blog than I ever intended to.  I am a basically honest person and can't lie about anything.   Of course there are some things that are too personal to share, but on the whole I am finding it quite easy to be my true self.  I do also enjoy writing about other things that interest me.  Blogging for me is very therapeutic.


10. If you had the choice to sit down and read a book or talk on the phone, which would you do and why?
I'd choose to talk on the phone simply because I spend so much time on my own.   I have plenty of time to read a book, but I love human contact...even if it's just on the phone.

........................................

I'm going to follow Mr H's lead and choose just one blogger to receive this award.   I am presenting it to Bombshellicious.   The reason for choosing her is because she is one of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure to meet.   You may recall that we met in person during my last visit to England in November.  We hit it off immediately.  She and I have had similar ups and downs throughout our lives, and we find it very easy to talk to each other about anything.   There are days when one of us is down and the other up, and vice versa, and we always manage to make things better for each other...we always end up laughing which is great.   The Life is Good award is very appropriate for her.

11 comments:

  1. I love reading about your life in Turkey. Just sorry that my house isn't nearer you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too auntiegwen...I could keep an eye on it for you when you're not here...and catch up for a good old chat when you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too I love reading your blog and thanks so much for the award now I have to kick my ass and reply lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for excepting this award, I really enjoyed reading your answers and was surprised by a few of them...like #7. We certainly have that one in common.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No rush Bomb...you are supposed to be relaxing! xxx

    Mr H: Yep...No 7. Oh the foolishness of youth. If only we had known then what we know now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a bit busy of late to visit all my bloggy friends. Enjoyed reading your answers on these different questions to the usual. Life is going to be good for many of us I believe. I can feel it my urine... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heiko: Well you also need some good luck too don't you? And if your urine tells you it's going to be good...I'll go along with that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well deserved, this award.

    I look forward to your posts arriving...always honest, always sharply observant...and always kind.

    And a jolly good blog to pass it on to as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou Fly...I appreciate your kind words and I really enjoy your blogs too...I've learned an awful lot from them! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was great, Ayak! Well done! I feel as I almost know you! Do you ever come as far as Istanbul?
    Am still toying with the idea of that super baby widget ....

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Claudia...thankyou. The only time I'm anywhere near Istanbul is as a transit passenger through the airport on my way to England. If you are ever down this way..Bodrum/Milas area though, do let me know and maybe we can meet up?
    The baby widget is so easy to do..it makes it all very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x