Pages

Tuesday, 22 March 2011

A Eureka Moment

Most of you have heard of my "Very Adaptable Cake"....or the "Turkish Cake" as it's now famously known in Costa Rican circles (thanks to my dear friend Fly).  If you haven't and would like the recipe you'll find it HERE.

You may recall my mentioning that my oven packed up the week before last, and I have so missed making my cake.  I usually make two or three a week when Mr A is here, and I would definitely make one when I'm on my own.

I was bored about an hour ago and decided to see whether I could cook my cake in the microwave oven.  Apart from the standard ingredients my flavours today consisted of some of the lemon marmalade I recently made with the lemons from our trees, and some sweet orange marmalade which I made yesterday with a kilo of oranges from the village market ("market" sounds a bit grand...it's actually just one fruit and vegetable stall).

I greased a pyrex-type dish and poured in the mix and popped it into the microwave on "high".  I cooked it for a total of 10 minutes, but kept opening the door and checking it, because I really wasn't sure how long it would take


On reflection, I think about 8 minutes would be enough, because the cake continues to cook when it's removed from the microwave.   I think it might also have been better in a wider, flatter dish, in which case I think it would take less time to cook.  It was also very easy to remove the cake onto a plate...it didn't stick or fall apart.




The texture is different...it's lighter.  And it's paler in colour....but the taste is good.




This cake has proved to be adaptable in so many ways hasn't it?



9 comments:

  1. Good thinking, Ayak :-) Where there's a will and all that.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a 'mother of invention', Ayak

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed! I didn't know you could do that in a microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks interesting..I must try to see what the microwave can do..I think i am somewhat frightened of it..it has buttons to press in a language I do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is slightly addicted to making chocolate cake in a mug in our microwave. I'm sure it's because I hardly ever bake, necessity is the mother of invention or the daughter of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. I always cook the bacon for our quick bacon sarnies in the microwave. 3 rashers - 2.5 minutes. Slap between two slices of bread. Job done.

    No fuss with grilles and pans. Cooks out the excess water from supermarket bacon too. Got this tip from a michelin starred chef too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. making cake in a micowave... i can say this is revolutionary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Extremely adaptable - but I bet I can think of one variation you haven't tried - olive oil instead of butter, and spinach (the cake turns out green, but tastes delicious - I got it from binnurs turkish cook blog - unfortunately no longer available as the recipes are being sold in book form) - We had a problem with our electric oven, turned it on and the power went off - and we had to go down 60 flight of stairs each time to switch the main fuse back on - you just got to love Turkish electrics :) Tried to get it repaired but had to replace it in the end, but in the meanwhile my friend shared a microwave sponge with me, I am sure he won't mind me sharing it - I think with microwave sponges a resting gap between two cooking blasts usually gives a better result than one long blast (as here, cook for three, rest for four, then cook for another three).


    MICROWAVE CHOCOLATE SPONGE

    RECIPE

    6oz SUGAR
    6oz FLOUR
    6oz BUTTER/MARGARINE
    2 EGGS
    3 TABLESPOONS MILK
    2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

    CREAM TOGETHER BUTTER WITH THE SUGAR UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY, THEN ADD THE EGGS SLOWLY (do this with a little of the flour to stop curdling)

    GENTLY FOLD IN THE SIFTED FLOUR MIXED WITH THE COCOA. SLOWLY ADD THE MILK.

    BUTTER A LARGE DISH

    MICROWAVE ON FULL POWER FOR 3 MINUTES
    STAND FOR 4 MINUTES
    MICROWAVE FOR 3 MINUTES

    IF YOU DON'T WANT CHOCOLATE SPONGE DON’T PUT THE COCOA POWDER IN - AND FOR EXAMPLE PUT GOLDEN SYRUP IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DISH. (I FIND IT IS BETTER TO DO THE TREACLE OR SAUCE IN A SEPERATE PAN AND POUR OVER THE SPONGE).

    It freezes beautifully as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x