Tuesday, 15 March 2011
Packed in like sardines
It was warm today...very warm on the dolmuş. But because it's still March all the villagers were still wrapped up in their winter clothes, and they don't dare open a window at this time of year. Stifling doesn't begin to describe the atmosphere. We all tumbled out in Milas gasping for air, and I did some shopping in the market. I didn't stay long and headed for the bus station for my return journey. I had half an hour to wait for the next bus, but there were a lot of people waiting so one of the drivers decided to make an extra trip. I didn't realise until I got on the dolmuş that this extra bus appeared to be for the benefit of the men of the village...so there I was, the only female, wedged up against the window, surrounded by farmers who I don't think have been near a shower all winter....windows firmly shut. The journey seemed to take forever, as some of the men needed to pick up sacks of fertiliser, another stopped for some bags of kireç (whitewash), then the driver stopped to fill up with petrol.
I will not be going to Milas market on the dolmuş for the foreseeable future!
The latest news on Mr A. When I spoke to him yesterday he had been talking to his father on the phone. I don't know exactly how the conversation went but Mr A got the distinct impression that if we both stay in Kusadasi this season, leaving the house empty, then FIL may try to take the house away from us. I really don't know whether he would really do this or whether Mr A is being paranoid....or perhaps it's all about FIL and control again. Anyway Mr A thought it left us with two alternatives. He could continue to work in Kusadasi, I would stay here, and he would come home a couple of times a week. Or he could hope that the job in Bodrum comes up and move back. The problem with this job is that it won't start till around 15th May and it's uncertain how long it will last. The job in Kusadasi however seems to be going well. They have customers and the job could last until October or November.
Mr A slept on it and when I spoke to him this morning, he had more or less decided that we will both stay in Kusadasi, and we just take a chance on whatever FIL decides to do. I'm not sure we will rent my friend's apartment in Selçuk, for various reasons. I think she is happy to help but I do feel that it may well be inconvenient for her if she or her family want to stay there this year. She hasn't said as much but I don't want to make life difficult for her. Mr A has learned of an apartment very close to where he works which is likely to become available sometime next month. He will check it out and see whether they will accept the dogs staying there.
So no definite plans at the moment but it seems to be heading in the right direction.
I heard from Claudia of Seasonal Cook in Turkey blog, that she had learned that the blogger ban was about to be lifted and that it would take 4 or 5 days for it to be up and running again. I don't know how true this is, but we live in hope.