Saturday, 9 April 2011

I think it must be addictive.....

....blogging I mean.  No sooner have I decided to take a break than I start getting withdrawal symptoms.  I thought I had nothing to say but as soon as I say I have nothing to say, suddenly I have something to say. 

So the break didn't last long but a couple of days did seem to be enough to clear my head of all the crappy stuff to make room for enough words to jot down here.

Firstly, thanks all you lovely people for the comments on my "taking a break" post.  It was so nice to know I'd be missed and of course your encouragement only feeds my habit doesn't it?  Karen at Being Koy blog said "You'll think of stuff to write, you won't be able to help yourself now. I was just making marmalade and was missing my UK cooker and ten minutes later had a blog done about what I wish I could have brought from home and what I'm glad I brought".   And she was right.  I was sitting on the dolmuş this morning on my way to Milas and had all sorts of bloggy stuff going round in my head.

And as a result of my post and Karen's comment we realise that we ought to have made an effort to meet up before now, and we are planning to do this soon.   She also lives in a Turkish village and, like me, gets lonely at times and starved of English conversation.  If you haven't already discovered Karen's blog do take a look...it's great.   And if you are thinking of moving to Turkey, just  look at the pics of her house which is up for sale...its absolutely beautiful.

Mr A continues with his job in Kusadasi.  He is still staying in the cheap and dingy hotel, because there is no personnel accommodation.   The carpet centre is miles away from anywhere with no public transport, and now they have ceased to provide personnel transport,  so he has another motorbike.  BUT he was paid last Tuesday, albeit 6 days later than promised, so all our bills are up to date and we have food.  He has been away for a month now.  He is working 7 days a week.  No days off but this is perfectly normal here during the tourist season.  However he did come home last Wednesday night, dodging rain on the way and arrived just after 10pm.  He had to get up at 5.30am though to make the journey back. This wasn't so good and it took him much longer. 

We would prefer to be together, but it's proving difficult to find a solution. The job in Bodrum to start mid-May is still a possibility, and the ideal solution, but there's always the risk that they might not pay...whereas we now know that the Kusadasi company do.   But I'm  off to England on the 21st, so he will stick it out in Kusadasi until I return on 22nd May...then we will decide what's best.

I am continuing to make my "very adaptable cake" which has now been renamed "very adaptable microwave cake" due to my lack of oven.  In fact I'm not in much of a hurry to replace it. I seem to be managing quite well without.  I made one yesterday using Nutella as the flavouring with sultanas. I've just attempted to post a pic of it but the facility is just not working today so you'll have to use your imagination. I used a slightly wider dish this time and I think I overcooked because it was a little dry.  But if I cut a slice and give it a few seconds blast in the microwave before eating it becomes moist and light again ... it's particularly nice with  cream or icecream.

My friend Gwen, who is looking after the dogs in Selçuk while I'm in England, is coming over here to see me on Monday and will stay until Wednesday.  I need to try to cheer her up because she has now discovered that an apartment block is very likely to be built on a tiny piece of land next to her apartment, completely blocking the wonderful view she has now.  I've seen the piece of land in question and it's so small I can't imagine how anyone could build more than a garden shed on it!  Such a shame as she may well now decide to sell up and is reluctant to look around for anything else.  It always surprises me that in such a large country with so much space, people still build apartment blocks close together.  Often so close that you could pass someone tea from your balcony to theirs in the next block.

The Blogger ban continues and I'm still waiting for my brother-in-law to sort out a way of enabling me to post normally, along with comments.  It's very frustrating not being able to do this and I'm hoping it will be rectified soon.  At least I'll be able to post and comment in the usual way when I'm in England for a month so I'm looking forward to that.

That's it for now .....

13 comments:

  1. You're so right about the addictiveness, Ayak. I'm not surprised you found yourself missing it. I've only been blogging for a few weeks and find myself itching to do a post when I've been away from it for a few days.

    Glad that Mr A has been paid at last, though sorry he's still having to live in the grotty hotel. At least you can go on your visit knowing that things are looking brighter at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice surprise!
    I'm sorry about your friend's predicament...It seems to happen here too...we are looking for something in the city and as we walk about we keep seeing three storey buildings going up on tiny plots among the old wooden houses.
    Roll on the U.K. visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh the blissful feeling of bills up to date! Good for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you were suffering withdrawal symptoms Linda. Life would not be right without your blog. You have so many readers. If you visit Karen's village, then let me know what it is like. I keep saying I will go there but never seem to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Selcuk the other day and my favourite corba place for lunch has been knocked down and a huge apartment block is being rushed up. There is a huge amount of building going on there, I think it's infill, using up all the zoned land within the urban plan.

    Glad Mr A got paid, you always worry that some excuse will delay it here, but hopefully it will be regular payments from now on.

    See you soon

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Selcuk the other day and my favourite corba place for lunch has been knocked down and a huge apartment block is being rushed up. There is a huge amount of building going on there, I think it's infill, using up all the zoned land within the urban plan.

    Glad Mr A got paid, you always worry that some excuse will delay it here, but hopefully it will be regular payments from now on.

    See you soon

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Selcuk the other day and my favourite corba place for lunch has been knocked down and a huge apartment block is being rushed up. There is a huge amount of building going on there, I think it's infill, using up all the zoned land within the urban plan.

    Glad Mr A got paid, you always worry that some excuse will delay it here, but hopefully it will be regular payments from now on.

    See you soon

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Selcuk the other day and my favourite corba place for lunch has been knocked down and a huge apartment block is being rushed up. There is a huge amount of building going on there, I think it's infill, using up all the zoned land within the urban plan.

    Glad Mr A got paid, you always worry that some excuse will delay it here, but hopefully it will be regular payments from now on.

    See you soon

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in Selcuk the other day and my favourite corba place for lunch has been knocked down and a huge apartment block is being rushed up. There is a huge amount of building going on there, I think it's infill, using up all the zoned land within the urban plan.

    Glad Mr A got paid, you always worry that some excuse will delay it here, but hopefully it will be regular payments from now on.

    See you soon

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're addicted x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are back I love your blog Ayak xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear your blogging break turned out to be short - I would have missed you! Hope you have a great time in England.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A woman's prerogative to change her mind or is that being sexist!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x