Pages

Friday, 27 May 2011

Exasperation

As usual when I got up this morning I went out in the kitchen to put the kettle on for a cup of coffee.  I gave up on electric kettles here some time ago..I don't have much luck with them..so now I have a traditional kettle which I use on my gas hob.

Unfortunately, the gas bottle had run out.  These are very large, heavy bottles, and in most areas I have just phoned to order a new one, which is delivered, paid for, and the old one taken way...usually within an hour.

But no such service exists in this village.  So I always have to wait until Mr A is around to get a new one for me.  I did once manage to find one at the village shop and on that occasion persuaded the shopkeeper to get a man with a tractor to bring it to the house, but he wasn't happy and I've no intention of asking him again.  In any case I can't afford to pay for it at the moment. 

You may remember that the electric oven packed up a couple of months ago.  I've been managing without it (well I was away for a month so it didn't matter that it wasn't working) but at least it would have been useful now that I don't have gas for the hob.

Being my usual resourceful self I filled a mug with water and placed it in the microwave to heat up.   No such luck...we had a power cut.  And it remained off for the next two hours.  I was desperate for a coffee.  I went out to rummage in the old house.  I found a tiny gas bottle with a trivet (don't know if that's the right word) on the top which I think FIL uses when he's here to brew his tea when they're working on the land.   So I managed to boil the kettle on it and make my much needed coffee.  However, it feels almost empty so I'll have to search for one in the village tomorrow or get the bus into Milas to find one.

My laptop is playing up.  The screen has been shaking for months. I don't know what's causing it.  My mouse also died whilst I was in England but my lovely brother bought me a new one as part of an early birthday present.  Also yesterday and today I've had problems with MSN and can only access my hotmail inbox occasionally.  My keys are also sticking which is really irritatng.  I think this laptop needs a service but again it will have to wait.

The latest on Mr A's job:  He is still being expected to leave at the end of the month.  He is being made to feel very uncomfortable with constant reminders and jibes from the manager about losing the big order.  He's had enough.  Yesterday he sold 20,000 euros worth of carpets...and of course praise replaced the criticism.  He has a feeling that because of this they will ask him to stay after all, but I have a feeling he will wait till the end of the month, until he gets his salary and tell them to stick the job where the sun doesn't shine...and I don't blame him.  Well this is what he told me last night, but he may well change his mind of course...he is a man after all!

So if he leaves, he will come home and find a job in Bodrum.  Which means I can get him to deal with these infuriating problems.   If he stays there...I'll move there too and leave the problems behind.

Whatever happens....the exasperation should end within the next couple of weeks!

13 comments:

  1. Hi
    I have been following your logg for quite some time now.
    I like it at lot, I´m very curious because I have a man down in Turkey who means everything to me...
    My future dream is to move down to him and live there.
    I understand that it will not be a piece of cake, but I have lived with a man before(married for 25 years!)I am from Sweden by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pia...thankyou for following my blog and welcome. I try always to be honest about my experiences here and I hope you may be able to pick up a bit of advice along the way. It takes a lot of adapting. It's a totally different way of life. If your man works in the tourist industry, then you may well have picked up on all the problems that can arise as a result. Before you commit yourself to a life with this man, do as I did and set some groundrules. Turkish men can be very domineering and tend to think they are superior to women. They're not all like this of course, but make sure you establish that he is prepared to treat you as an equal or you may find life difficult.
    On the other hand Turkish men can also be very charming and caring...but always insist on maintaining your own identity.

    However...Turkey is a beautiful country and the people are warm and welcoming. It can't be so bad or I wouldn't have stuck it for 13 years!

    I wish you luck and hope everything turns out well for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I think I should also have added Pia that you need lots of patience!!! Try not to get too exasperated by life here...as I've done today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you must have a lot of patience because I would have probably headed home by now. However, I have small children so I am sure it is easier to handle these problems when one doesn't have children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelleyn: I never used to be patient...far from it! It's a trait I've developed over the years living here..it's been a case of having to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have the patience of a saint. I have said it before and you must love your husband very much to put up with all the frustrations. I really hope it all works out well for you and yours.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Ayak sorry I had to smile at what happens you deffo need to write a book xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ayak,
    Just started reading your blog,you are a trooper!!!
    I have never been to turkey but love hearing all about it.
    Maz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    I have a few questions:
    How did U learn turkish? And..
    do you got married in Turkey or in England?
    I think the turkish language
    is very difficult!
    can U live there and only use the english language?
    I anxiously await the answers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it just the way that all devices decide to go down at the same time!
    Sorry that your comments are not up on my blog...Blogger has shut me out, but I've filed them for the day...month...year...that I can get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie: Thankyou xx

    Bomb: I don't have enough patience left to write a book :-)

    Maz: Welcome to my blog and thankyou for your kind comment xx

    Pia: Ihave to be honest and admit that my Turkish is really not very good. I didn't have lessons and picked up most of what I've learned by living here.

    We were married in Turkey.

    I agree it is a very difficult language!

    It depends where you live. Most people speak English in the tourist areas, but I am the only foreigner in this village and for miles around so as much Turkish as possible is essential to survive. Unfortunately my husband and I communicate always in English which doesn't really help my grasp of Turkish.

    Fly: It's always the way!
    Good luck with sorting out your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can well see why you've had to grow a good crop of patience, Ayak. Just reading about your day made me grind my teeth in frustration for you. Roll on the end of the month and the decision about the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perpetua: Patience is one thing I'm glad I've developed over the years. I don't know if it's an age thing. Maybe we just don't stress over so much as we get older.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x