Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Honey I'm home....

.....ah...it would be nice to hear that every evening..or something similar in Turkish, but unfortunately Mr A doesn't come home every evening.  He's been away working in Kusadasi since mid-March, and after my recent month-long trip to England, I'm noticing the isolation more than ever.

I arrived home at half past midnight Sunday.  Mr A had collected the dogs from my friend in Selçuk early afternoon and spent the rest of the day out in the garden with a couple of men from the village, clearing the jungle of weeds that had grown this past month.  Thanks to the unusually heavy rainfall, it was quite a task.  He picked me up from the airport, but due to the fact that he had a group of customers early Monday morning, and to avoid busy traffic, he only spent an hour with me before setting off back to Kusadasi.

This job is causing him a great deal of stress.  As is pretty normal here, he works 7 days a week, with no time off.  Getting Sunday afternoon off to come home took some doing.  He's sick of staying in a dingy hotel.  And although he is being paid his salary, he is being made to wait longer than necessary for it.  He is supposed to be paid on the 1st of the month.  He waited until 10th May, by which time he was avoiding the hotel manager as much as possible, who was anxious to be paid.

Another issue arose yesterday.  He lost a big order.  His manager then informed him that because of this, he was given notice to leave his job at the end of this month.   Now this would be understandable if it wasn't for the fact that Mr A has actually single-handedly sold more carpets for more money than the rest of the personnel put together.  I have a feeling that this is more to do with jealousy on the part of the manager, who it would seem is not a particularly good salesman but holds his managerial position because he is related to the boss.  

Mr A decided he would talk to the boss today about the situation, but because he is so busy he only managed a very short phone call to me this evening (at 9.30pm...still working from 8.30 this morning) so wasn't able to tell me much.

None of this really surprises me.  It happens everywhere.  There is often jealousy from colleagues when someone is good at their job, and the bosses are so short-sighted that they only seem to focus on orders lost rather than those gained.   The pressure to constantly perform is immense, and it takes its toll.

As a result , during our brief conversations, Mr A takes it out on me.  He's angry, tired and stressed.  Someone has to be on the receiving end, and it's usually me.  I can't deny the fact that it upsets me, but I have got used to it over the years.  Sometimes I get angry with him for treating me this way, but then I regret it because it only puts more pressure on him.  So I try to stay as calm as possible until it blows over ...which it always does...and then he apologises.   And life goes on as normal.

Of course, normal is not a word I would use to describe our current situation.   But we are trying to resolve this.   Providing he keeps this job (let's hope his boss has some common sense), I will be moving over to Gwen's apartment with the dogs next month.  If he does have to leave, then I guess he will have to find a job in Bodrum, which means we will be staying put.

Whatever happens, we will survive.  I've had 13 years of practise so I'm not yet prepared to throw in the towel!

I'm writing this post quite late.  I should be asleep but joy of joys...the dogs both came into season yesterday...what a welcome home!  So I am awake because the stray dogs in the village seem to be gathering in shifts at our gate and howling!  

I'm home.....England seems like a distant memory!

11 comments:

  1. Grumbling men and howling dogs...what a return!
    Surely his boss will look at the sales figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you would hope so Fly. But I still don't understand Turkish logic...particularly when it comes to Turkish businessmen. I'm not surprised so many of them go bust. They are greedy and they exploit their workers. I think that if someone starts out selling well, they are expected to continue to do so. There doesn't seem to be any allowance made for the odd blip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Ayak! Wish you could have had a better reception and I do hope everything works out with the job. Love the photos you shared in your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deniz. I'm trying to remain optimistic! Glad you liked the photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ayak..... I am really sorry you had to come home to all this uproar.
    Really, really hope that Mr A's boss will come to his senses.
    Hope everything improves very soon.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. What strange customs there are in Turkey. A member of staff is making you lots of money and so you sack him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite the homecoming. I hope the job works out - seems completely ridiculous to fire someone for doing well. If not, at least you'll have him home for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Maggie xxx

    Jack: I suspect this is happening to keep Mr A, and others, on their toes. It's a kind of bullying really.

    'Cross the Pond..Not only ridiculous but soul destroying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh nothing is ever easy is it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What situation to come home to, Ayak. I can't say I think much of Turkish business methods from what you describe. Poor Mr A :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelloggsville: It certainly isn't.

    Perpetua: It's an awful situation but one we've become used to. He has in fact finished the job now but they are making him wait for his salary...typical.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x