Pages

Friday, 20 May 2011

Irritating Emails

Do you know the ones I mean?  Silly jokes, silly photos (usually of animals),  and the worst kind are the chain emails that threaten you with all sorts of bad luck if you break the chain and don't pass it on.   And then of course we have those that appear to come from one of your friends or contacts...the email address is the same, but it just contains a link which if you click will more than likely be a virus.   These are particularly nasty aren't they?  Because it generally means that your friend's email address and probably other information has been hacked.  This happened to my daughter a few years ago and her bank account was emptied on line.  Fortunately she was able to recover the amount from the bank but it took a great deal of time and effort.   Another friend, and also my niece have been recent victims of this.  Good anti-virus protection is essential these days, as is resisting the temptation to click on a link unless you are absolutely 100% sure its safe.

Occasionally I get an email with a mystery or set of coincidences which does make me sit up and read instead of moving it immediately to my "trash" box.  The following is one that I've seen many times but received again this morning.  No doubt many of you will also have seen it.....I wonder if the dates and details are actually correct...does anyone know?
*******************
"History Mystery

Have a history teacher explain this----- if they can.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.

John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.

John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both Presidents were shot in the head

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln 's secretary was named Kennedy.

Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln .

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.

Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.

Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Lincoln was shot at the theatre named 'Ford'.

Kennedy was shot in a car called ' Lincoln ' made by 'Ford'.

Lincoln was shot in a theatre and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.

Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theatre.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.
***********************************************

This email actually goes on to demonstrate how to fold a 20 dollar bill in such a way that the 9/11 disaster was predicted.   I find that too weird and didn't want to post it here but am sure some of you may have seen it.

So this is one email that doesn't irritate me quite as much as many others.  Which emails annoy you the most?

5 comments:

  1. The ones that say I've won a million pounds & if I could send my bank details, it would be on its way!

    Sex aids........

    Emails posing as groups that I may be interested in....... just click the link.

    Unwanted stuff that takes forever to read, jokes, photos of things I'm not interested in and of course...... those chain emails that hint at a threat if you don't pass it on to at least six other people.

    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the american soldiers who have made an illicit fortune in Irak or Afghanistan and want to give it to me...in return for my bank details...

    Those stupid chain e mails threatening...well, who knows what?


    Oh, and offers to enlarge my penis. I don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is the lincoln/kennedy breakdown http://www.snopes.com/history/american/lincoln-kennedy.asp

    I always delete chain mails, it's an annoyance that they list all the email addresses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie: Pretty much the same ones that annoy me!

    Fly: Oh yes...I forgot about the penis enlargment emails..I get those too!

    Kelloggsville: Yes I delete them too. And yes it is irritating when you do get an email you actually want to read and have to wade through tons of other email addresses to get to the content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband hates the chain emals and gets very cross when he receives any that have been constantly forwarded with loads of email addresses, just waiting to be harvested by a spammer.

    He always writes back to the friend or relative who sent it to us, explaining why it's such a bad idea to keep forwarding things and explaining how to use BCC (blind copies) if they feel they really have to do it.

    I just delete them all nowadays, usually without even reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x