Tuesday, 28 June 2011

A welcome break

This past couple of days we have had a very welcome break from the recent intense heat.  There have been strong winds blowing from the north...in fact high on my hill they've been pretty much gale force at times.  I've had to move tables and chairs off the balcony or risk losing them forever.

Temperatures had reached the late 30s...at one point briefly touching 40 degrees, so this wind has been such a relief.  I've managed two nights of much needed sleep with the windows open.   Of course the furniture is now covered in thick dust as a result, but it's a small price to pay!

This morning the wind has dropped and I will set off to market in Milas early before it gets too hot again.

My friend Gwen stayed for a couple of days last week and today is on her way back to England.  She's back again in August/September. 

I'm planning a trip over to England for just a week in September.  I need to be with my daughter on her birthday.  I have missed far too many of her birthdays since I moved here, and it's about time I rectified this.  She is looking forward to it as much as I am.  And of course I can't wait to see my grandsons again.  Billy continues to be as cute as ever and I just love talking to him on webcam and Jimi grows more gorgeous every day.

Beautiful boys!

Mr A continues with his job over in Bodrum/Gumbet and isn't getting home as much as he or I would like him to.  He's working long unsociable hours, is very tired, and frankly I worry about the journey from Bodrum to home on the motorbike.  It's a busy, fast road, and one well known for traffic accidents.  He intends to come home this evening and of course I'm looking forward to it, but I'm getting used to this situation yet again.   I don't like it but I have to accept that he needs to earn money and that has to take priority.   I cope when I have something good to look forward to...my planned flying visit to England in September helps.

An update on the rubbish collection...it still hasn't been collected.  I spoke to the Muhtar myself the other day and got the usual shrug of the shoulders.   Having filled the bin to overflowing, I placed an old plastic bin beside it which is also now full.   So I'm now taking my rubbish further down the hill to the next available bin....which is also almost filled to capacity.  I can't understand why I seem to be the only person in the village actually bothered by this problem.  I decided against dumping my rubbish in the Muhtar's office...it's right opposite the teahouse, and I don't relish being laughed at by the men gathered there.  So I have decided not to pay my water bill.  It's overdue, but it includes the charge for rubbish collection...so it won't be paid until the rubbish is cleared.  This small act of protest makes me feel a little better, although as most villagers seem to avoid paying their bills for as long as six months, I doubt it will have any effect on the Muhtar.

Well that's all for now...off to face the crowded dolmuş to Milas.

14 comments:

  1. I hope you can get the rubbish collection resolved. It's dangerous as well as disgusting. You might try public shaming of some kind, it is really the only effective means of calling attention to ANY distress here. (I probably wouldn't work as well in the US anymore. :))

    One point: You can't understand you are the only one upset?? Look at any public park at about 10 at night on a warm Sunday. Or look at the trash bins on a public beach.

    When I see such things, I oscillate between blaming lazy citizens and blaming incompetent park managers. In the end, both are to blame. One for not doing their job and the other for not demanding the people in charge of public services do their jobs.
    There was one episode of Mad Men a few years back. The show is set in the 60s in the US and one scene showed a family picnic. And although the scene all about the happy family, it ended with the family walking away from all their trash and driving off. I couldn't stop laughing because it is exactly the kind of thing you often see in Turkey. Back then, Turkey was coping with more pressing problems, like social chaos and military takeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nomad: Indeed how silly of me to make such a comment! You're right of course..just look at the roadside verges, where people either stop to eat and leave their rubbish or simply throw it from the windows of their moving cars. On the bus to Milas this morning I noticed a group of gypsies who have set up camp beside the busy road. God knows how long they'll be there but it's an appalling mess already, as you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a shame that the rubbish is still such an issue, and also that your refusing to pay probably won't have much effect. Still, well done for making your point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy and Jimi look so gorgeous, hope the winds have settled a little today xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be blazing about the rubbish. Hope your not paying the bill will get you what you want & that you don't end up in prison!!!!!
    Billy & Jimi are lovely!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  6. We burn all our Guide Camp rubbish. Is it an option for you? or just too dangerous in the heat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont know the origins of your uncollected rubbish problem so this might be irrelevant, but who won the elections in your area? this might pretty well explain the reason of the problem you are probably being punished if your village had voted the wrong party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have a rubbish collection...the nice new dustcart contributed by the Chinese government as part of its bribe programme to get countries to recognise China rather than Taiwan can't get across the bridge to this valley.
    We use food scraps for the chickens, use carbboard, but the plastic stuff has to be bagged up and taken to town to put in one of the containers scattered round the town.
    We used to put it on the steps of the council offices, as did many others, until these containers miraculously appeared.
    A lot of people just burn their rubbish - and the smell is revolting.

    There is a recycling centre, but it is not successful as the price demanded for recycled materials is prohibitive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan: It makes me feel a bit better for making a stand but I;'m sure it will go unnoticed

    Bomb: More of a breeze now..quite pleasant.

    Maggie: I doubt I'll end up in prison..well I hope not!

    Kelloggsville:We have burnt it in the past..and I think we might have to again pretty soon...it is a bit dangerous though.

    jedilost: Well I'm not sure how most of the village voted as there are three teahouses here, each devoted to a different party. However it wouldn't make any difference to the rubbish collection because we don't come under any belediye, it's the responsiblity of the Muhtar...we pay him...and he arranges for someone with a tractor and trailer to do the job..but of course this is just not happening at the moment.

    Hi Fly...welcome back!
    I recycle as much as possible, but we're talking now about at least 2 months worth of rubbish and it isn't a very big bin. I've been wandering down the hill and finding spaces in other bins but they too are now overflowing! Much as I hate bonfires I think it might be the only solution at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just off-topic, as usual, but have you ever used a compost pile at all? One time I created one when I was a kid, and that season, I grew the finest watermelon you can imagine. (22lbs and yellow meated too!)
    Obviously the soil of suburbia was depleted and the organic material really made a difference. As long as it is properly contained, the smell is not a major problem. Next step is cultivating earthworms! What those buggers do for the topsoil is incredible.

    Don't you think the amount of packaging that goes into the products you buy here in Turkey is getting more and more outrageous? Anything I buy nowadays seems wrapped and boxed and sealed in plastic and I end up throwing that all away. I find that particularly annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. in that case, Ayak, the reason to your problem must be something else, not political. probably just lazyness as you already said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nomad: I'm not sure whether a compost pile would work here. I will talk to my FIL about it.it may well be worth a try.

    And yes I have noticed the ridiculous amount of plastic packaging. And it does seem to be getting worse.

    jedilost: Yes laziness I think..the "can't be bothered" attitude of the Muhtar makes life quite difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.ehow.com/how_3541_begin-compost-pile.html

    Almost all of your kitchen waste can go into the compost heap and that would go a long way in reducing the amount of trash that has to go into the bin. The only concern is keeping the pile wet enough (but not too wet) to keep the decomposition process going. It really heats up too. In the winter when you turn the pile (something you have to do ever so often) you can see steam rising off the core. In about eight months to a year, you will have rich top soil that can be worked into the garden as needed. I might be wrong but this was supposed to be the basis of organic gardening. The super rich soil will produce such vigorous growth that artificial fertilizers and pesticides are not needed. In my own experience, I know that the yield in most cases will double.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou for that Nomad..I'm certainly going to give it some serious thought. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x