Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Difficult journey

Today didn't start terribly well.   I woke up this morning to find the water was off, and shortly after the electriciy was also cut.  I had intended to spend a relaxing day at home, but when Mr A phoned he suggested I catch the bus over to the hotel and he would bring me back this evening.

As it's market day in Milas, I decided that I would avoid a crowded dolmuş and catch the one due at 1.00pm.  I set off to the village early at 12.30 because work is being done on the roads leading up the hill, so I thought I may have to go by a different route.

I arrived at the bus stop with 10 minutes to spare and waited...and waited.  By 1.20pm the bus still hadn't arrived so I phoned Mr A to let him know I'd either be delayed or may give up and go home.  He called me back 5 minutes later to say he had spoken to the Muhtar who had informed him that there was a new system on Milas market day.  Apparently the bus driver won't leave the village before ours until he has at least 6 passengers.  Would have been nice if we had been told!   So eventually it arrived at 1.40pm, then sat and waited for a further 10 minutes for some more passengers.

Eventually I reached the main road and crossed over to wait for the Bodrum bus.  I rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes, but today I waited for 35 minutes.  When I got on the bus there were no seats, but a man sitting in the back row got up to give me his seat.  It might have been better if I'd remained standing as I was then squashed between two very large, very sweaty people, so it was rather unpleasant.   And there I remained for the rest of the journey, which normally takes 45 minutes.

When we reached Guvercinlik (about half-way) we were diverted into a lay-by where the Jandarma were doing one of their checks.  This does happen from time to time here but I've been pretty lucky so far in that this is only the second time I've experienced it.  A jandarma officer got on the bus and collected up everyone's kimliks (ID cards) and took them away to be checked.  While we waited the bus driver decided to collect fares.   He tried to charge me 7 lira instead of the usual 6 (maybe because he thought I was a tourist) but when I informed him that it always costs me 6 lira, he gave in!

We waited for a further 10 minutes, then the driver set off.....without the kimliks!   As I was sitting in the back row I could see the jandarma officer shouting to him to stop, and at the same time some of the passengers on our bus were doing the same.  He seemed quite oblivious to all this commotion until one of the passengers got up and proceeded to the front of the bus and shouted at him.   So he eventally stopped, reversed back up the road, collected our kimliks and off we went.

This journey normally takes me just over an hour.  Today it took two and a half hours.

To top it off, as I was getting off the bus in Bodrum, my sandal broke.  However, the day did get better.  Mr A gave me some money to get some new sandals.  He was going to one of the other hotels with his boss in his car, and they dropped Gwen and I in the centre of Bodrum where I managed to get some lovely new sandals.  We spent a couple of hours happily browsing and were then collected by Mr A and his boss, calling in at another of the hotels for coffee and then back to our hotel.

Finally, instead of coming home on the motorbike, and because Mr A had to return to the hotel this evening, his boss brought us back to the house, where we had coffee before they returned.

This picture is of one of the teahouses in the village. These men must be so bored.  They sit here from early morning till late at night.  It must be even worse at the moment as Monday was the start of Ramazan...the month of fasting...so nothing must pass their lips...no food, drink or cigarettes.

So it's now just after 10pm...time to relax.  The water is still off however, so no shower for me tonight....but the electricity is back on...for now!

11 comments:

  1. Ayak (((HUGS)))

    Sorry to hear you had a bad day....and that bus driver ugh!
    Funny how they sometimes set their own rules......I was in Izmir once in a huge bus terminal downtown with dozens of buses and when our bus didn't show up all the people just confiscated another bus and just all ran in and argued with the bus driver. He had no choice but to take them down that bus route in the city. He argued for about 15 minutes, to me it's funny b/c here they would call the cops.
    Those 'teahouses' well we have a few in Toronto and when I first got married my husband would go daily, it bothered me but I just let it go..... but, a few of his friends got divorces due to going to those teahouses, b/c we just don't do that here. They would spend the whole weekend there playing OKEY. Now he's here for over 25 years he never goes....and we play OKEY together and our daughter or some friends. Plus he's busy with his business anyways.
    I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a terriable start to your day. I had my sandle break once and had to walk around the New Orleans zoo for a couple of hours with it. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buses! It happens over here occasionally. There is nothing worse than standing at a bus stop as the queue builds only to discover that the bus has been diverted due to an accident or whatever.

    Normally it is a passing car driver who lets the passengers know about the diversion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg what a day at least I hope got a super sexy pair of sandals hahahahah xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buses! It happened in London when I was going out to a restaurant with a friend!

    The automated bus arrival sign kept promising a number 6...but it never got to our stop...and when we decided to walk to get another connection, three passed us!

    Nothing worse than the water cut off...jolly glad we have our from a spring without the intervention of the water board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica: Isn't it strange..the different reaction to the teahouses..and I'm amazed that they've been instrumental in causing divorce! Mr A only visits them in winter if he's not working..usually to watch big football matches on the TV. I can't imagine what these men find to talk about for hours on end!

    Kelleyn: Yes very annoying. Fortunately I borrowed some flip-flops from someone to enable me to walk around the shops before getting the new sandals.

    Jack: Well no doubt everyone will eventually be informed of the new bus system on tuesdays...but it's the laid-back attitude again...no-one is in a rush to let people know...aaargh!

    Bomb: Yes I love my new sandals...very comfortable..not sexy though...well you know me!

    Fly: Oh yes very annoying when you start to walk and the bus passes you. Although here of course you can just flag it down..as far as I know you can't do that in England between official stops?
    As for the water..all in the hands of the Muhtar of course..along with rubbish (non)collection..etc...etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those teahouses were instrumental in two cases of divorce I know because one husband would leave in the morning and sit there from 10 am till midnight closing......and just play cards and not really look for employment..... said he's tired of working hard in Turkey his whole life. So that marriage didn't last too long.

    Another with two kids would go to work come home, eat dinner and take off to the tea coffee shop and hang there all evening and every weekend all day ....so she left him. She felt it was more important to him and he didn't want to change. I guess maybe because they were not Turkish wives, and didn't understand their culture. But I still can't imagine what on earth would they talk about. It was like they were married to themselves there.

    Enjoy your new sandals. :-)))

    PS.....my husband the Turk loves reading your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica: Perhaps there is something in the fact that they ween't Turkish wives but it sounds like their husbands' visits to the teahouses were really excessive so I can understand how they must have felt.
    I'm glad your husband enjoys my blog..thankyou for mentioning it.
    I wonder if he would like to do a guest post on my blog? It would be great to post something by a Turkish man living in another country. No pressure of course..I won't be offended if he says no xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ..... yes my husband said he will write something but these couple of days he's out on business and would be happy to.......when he's back. I'll let him speak his mind on his views.....it's me who actually doesn't want to come back to Toronto and stay longer, but he always misses here. I guess he got use to living here for 25 years or so.

    Take care......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erica: That's great. I'll look forward to his contribution when he has time..no rush..whenever suits him. You can find my email address on my profile so he can send it to me and I'll publish it.
    Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrible day. Poor you! I'll never get used to police checks, the Turkish version of stop and search. We're lucky as bus checks are rare on the peninsular. Too many tourists!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x