Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Trying to be nocturnal

No sooner had I loaded up the washing machine and switched on the laptop yesterday morning, than the power was cut again.

I asked my neighbour if she knew how long it would be off.  She shrugged her shoulders.  She doesn't really care.  After all she has only had electricity in her house for a couple of years.  She's used to managing without.

I hadn't intended to go over to the hotel because the bus fares are adding up...and so is the petrol if Mr A has to bring me home.  It's also unbearably hot and waiting around for buses isn't pleasant.  It's also Mr A's busiest time and he really can't be away from the hotel or he will miss customers.

However, on the spur of the moment I decided to go.  I spent a hot sticky day there and although really not looking forward to it, was prepared to make the return journey by bus.  But Mr A insisted on bringing me home.  Just after he dropped me off and was about to return there was an announcement from the Muhtur over the public address system to say that the electricity would go off again this morning and wouldn't be switched on again until around 6pm.

It would seem that work on the new electricity system for the village, which should have started last month, has finally begun.

Today I decided I would stay at home.  We just can't afford all this travelling back and forth.  But I was prepared.   I stayed awake as long as I could last night to make the most of being able to use my laptop, get the washing done and vacuum the house.  The dogs woke me up as usual at 6am, and after being fed and going out, I managed about an hour on the laptop before the power was cut just after 8am.  It returned again at 6.30pm. 

As you can imagine in this heat food in the fridge is going off, and stuff in the freezer is gradually defrosting.  It's a bloody nuisance!   Mr A phoned to say he had spoken to the Muhtar who informs him that these daily powercuts will continue for the next 10 days!

So I am trying to adjust my body clock to accommodate.  Today I have had two long naps and am hoping this will enable me to stay awake tonight, to do all the things that require electricity, that I would normally do during the day.

By the end of the 10 day period I should be completely nocturnal.

8 comments:

  1. You really are so adaptable. I reckon you will always make the best of any situation.
    I admire that quality!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. YHou would think they would choose a cooler part of the year to do the work...but then, if most people are still 'new' to electricity factors like fridges and freezers won't have entered into the calculations...especially as these will have been made by men.

    All I can say is

    'too whit too whoo'.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie: The one important thing I've learned from living here (and also from being married to Mr A) is that I HAVE to be adaptable!

    Fly: It's funny...I have noticed that those people in the village that have fridge-freezers and washing machines mostly keep them outside on terraces and balconies. I suppose their old kitchens just don't have the space for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Mr. Fly must have Turkish blood....he put the new freezer on the balcony and it took me two days to shift everything round to get it back inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of my childhood, when the water and electricity would go off unexpectedly all the time in Kusadasi. If it ever stuck to a schedule, the water was usually on only in the middle of the night. My grandmother would get up to fill bottles with water and take a shower. The next day she'd wash us (after a day at the beach) with water from the buckets and bottles that had gotten warm in the sun all day. (No fears of Bisphenol A or what not in the plastic back then...).
    What was it you said in your last post - humidity? What do you mean humidity? I've been looking forward to sunshine and dry heat ever since we bought our plane tickets! What humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fly: Well he is a man after all !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deniz I also fill up plastic bottles with water while we have it..for flushing toilet etc.

    It's been really humid this year..you can always tell when the mosquitoes come out in their 1000s ....and not just at night. Kusadasi may be drier heat of course...I don't know...but this area definitely not at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg u r being adaptable Ayak lol. At least hopefully its a it cooler in the night as well xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x