It seems like this has been the year for my electric appliances to give up.
Already since this summer, my toasted sandwich maker broke. I had to have a new element fitted to our electric oven. The coffee machine, electric kettle, toaster and iron all died on me.
Today my microwave oven decided it would like to join all its friends in the electrical appliance graveyard.
It appears to be functioning in every respect, other than actually heating anything.
I' ve done a bit of googling and it would seem that the obvious problem is that the magnetron has given up. According to various sites, this is the most important part of the microwave oven that is responsible for heating. It's also about 95% of the cost of the microwave, so it's not worth getting repaired. And we all know of course that microwave oven repairs are not safe for DIY.
So, I guess another trip to the shops is in order.
BUT the mobile phone is still working by the way, albeit that it needs a new battery because it's currently having to be charged every day.
I always believed when these things happened, it ran in "threes" (one of my late mother's old wives tales)...obviously that's a load of rubbish in my case.