Pages

Saturday, 10 December 2011

Gözleme

I learned how to make gözleme when I worked in a cafe in Goreme, Cappadocia.  It's one of my favourite dishes.  In the cafe we had a variety of fillings:  cheese and spinach, sucuk (Turkish sausage) grated with egg, a mix of mashed potato and red pepper.  In fact you can use your imagination and come up with lots of different ideas.  The best cheese to use for gözleme is Lor, which is a curd cheese.  It's quite dry so doesn't make the dough too wet.

Gözleme is a kind of Turkish pancake made with yufka dough, made from flour, salt and water, which is very thin and soft.  I'm not sure if you can buy it outside of Turkey.  I guess the nearest thing to it would be filo pastry...although filo is not as soft as yufka.

The prepared gözleme is cooked on a slightly domed pan (almost like an upside-down wok) over a fire or a gas hob.  We have one which is attached to a gas bottle.  You can also use a large frying pan.

The sheets of yufka dough are round and you can buy them ready-made here, although lots of Turkish women make their own, particularly in the villages.

When preparing the gözleme you fold the top of the sheet of yufka dough to the middle, and the same with the bottom.  You brush beaten egg along the top and bottom straight edges and along the curved edge on the right.  You add your filling to the middle then fold the left side of the sheet to the middle, then the right...overlapping so that the beaten egg forms a seal.  You then have a rectangular parcel.   You heat your pan and grease it with margarine and cook the gözleme, moving it around and turning it over until it's cooked.  It only takes about 5 minutes.

As my camera isn't working at the moment  I've had to gather some photos from the internet to give you some idea:

Firstly a short video of yufka dough being rolled out:



Adding the filling

Folding the filled yufka


Cooking the gözleme


.....and the result...delicious gözleme




17 comments:

  1. Gosh, that dough is stretchy and thinly rolled, Ayak. How skilful. The finished pancakes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tears easily Perpetua, which is why I always buy it readymade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something to try when we are over in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll love them Kelloggsville.

    Which part of Turkey are you visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could buy the dough in France and made them from time to time...here, i'd have to start from scratch...but it would be worth it for the result!
    Except the spinach here is tetragon...not at all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd try this if I still had a gas stove...I applaud the young man rolling out the dough...experience and talent, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I hope my husband doesn't see this otherwise I might be making this for him. Today I made him about 50 cigara borek with cheese, he's been munching on them all day....and about 2 pots of cay to go with it.

    When we go to the baazar to visit his sister he always gets one. :-) of these gozleme. Basically anywhere we go in Turkey he gets one to eat.

    Take care and have a good Sunday...:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shame about the spinach Fly. It's in season here at the moment and we eat loads of it.

    Theanne you could use a large heavy base frying pan on electric.

    Erica: I love borek, also made with yufka of course, and often make one with a filling of potato, onion and red pepper. You have a good Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, you know how to make gozleme?? Yum yum yum. I really ought to try it myself someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bomb...it is x

    It's easy Deniz...give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just love gözleme. On the odd occasion we pop down to your old stomping ground, Gumusluk, we ignore the overpriced fish restaurants and head for a little restaurant for a feast of Turkish pancakes. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jack, they are delicious. I think you and Liam should get a gozleme pan and have a go yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite thing to do is visit the local markets, and wander around the stalls whilst munching on a white cheese gozleme. They are delicious, and by far the best snack that makes my mouth water, and will tide me over until lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jay. I think they are an anytime snack. I cooked them every day for over a year in the Goreme cafe, and ate one every day too. I never get tired of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x