Saturday, 4 February 2012

Don't you just love it when.....

you have a day when everything goes right...for a change.

Today has been one such day.  For a start the weather has been lovely.  Temperatures hit 19 degrees C at one point, a far cry from the past week or so which has seen constant rain and minus temps at night.

There's one tiny fly in the ointment though, so I'll get that out of the way.  It's likely that Mr A will not be home until around 17th April.  Not even for a flying visit.   I was checking flights on line yesterday, as I do most days, with a view to booking my trip to England in April.  The prices had come down in the last couple of days.  A sure sign that they are likely to start rising again between now and April (something I have learned before to my cost).  So I took the plunge and booked to go on 18th April, returning home on 30th.   This means I will be there for Billy's birthday on the 23rd and Jimi's on the 29th.

Mr A is entitled to one day a week off work, but he's not planning to take them because he thinks he may be tempted to spend money, and he needs to save as much as possible for a vehicle, be it car or motorbike.  He will need this when he starts working in Bodrum this summer.  He would have worked until the end of April in Istanbul, but will now save up all his days off and return on the 17th, to look after the dogs when I  to go to England.

The sun shining this morning spurred me into action.  I needed to somehow get a new gas bottle.  The small one I was using has something wrong with the connection to the trivet and I can smell gas, so I've disconnected it.  And I can't possibly manage without one until Mr A returns.

I went down to see the village shopkeeper to ask him where I could get a gas bottle, or if he knew someone who would collect one from Milas for me and deliver it to my house.   He scratched his head, chatted with a couple of men outside the teahouse, then told me he would get one for me.  I was delighted and said I would happily pay for his petrol if he could bring it up to my house.

You might be thinking that this all sounds so easy, and why didn't I think of it before, but you need to understand that not only is my Turkish limited (I can only converse in the present tense) but the village dialect is almost impossible to understand.  It's essential on these occasions to have hands that one can use for a kind of sign language.

I set off to Milas to get shopping and some money to pay for the gas.  The cost of the bottle was 67 lira and the man agreed on 80 lira which would also cover the cost of petrol...a pretty good deal.

I called in at the post office to check my box.  I had been waiting for a parcel from England which should have arrived well over a week ago.  I had checked three times previously and nothing.  Having organised the gas bottle, I was feeling more confident so I went off to the sorting office and asked about my parcel.  Two men searched for me and eventually it was found in a cupboard.  It would seem that because the parcel was too large for my small postbox, they should have left a slip of paper in the box telling me to collect it from the office.  Unfortunately they had forgotten to do this and the parcel had been in the cupboard for some time.

My gas bottle arrived about an hour after I returned home.   The dogs will be delighted because now I can cook their pasta and chicken livers perfectly.   The last lot of pasta I cooked for them on the small gas bottle turned out like chewing-gum...and they turned up their noses in disgust.  It won't be wasted of course because the street dogs and cats will think it's a real treat.

This afternoon I cleaned my cooker..my least favourite job but it was long overdue.

I also lit my very first bonfire.  Bonfires scare me a bit and I tend to keep away from them. But I had been sorting out old paperwork this week and as I don't have a shredder, burning it seemed the best solution and again I felt I needed to start doing more of the jobs that I usually leave for Mr A.

If the weather is good tomorrow I may tackle Mr A's shed.  It's an absolute mess because he has been sawing wood in there and everything is covered in sawdust, and his tools are all scattered about.

I seem to have set myself a challenge...to eliminate Mr A's "jobs to do" list.  He will get quite a shock when he comes home.

23 comments:

  1. I'm sorry he will be away so long...but you're coping so well!

    I know what you mean about language...I'm present tense Spanish at the moment and a lot of the neighbours speak patois...just the way it was when I was starting out in France!

    And as long as the dogs get their gourmet rations....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see things have taken an upward turn for you now, Ayak. Wish we could say the same for the temperature here...I've forgotten what it's like to be really warm. Ridiculous, isn't it, when we are so darn hot in other parts of the year!

    Very wise to book your flights well in advance - nice to know and to think about. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to read about your good day, Ayak, though not great that Mr A will be away for so long. But your post shows that you can cope and deal with the difficulties, despite only having the present tense to talk in. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fly, my dogs just don't appreciate how lucky they are. Every time I go to the village bus stop now street dogs come and sit beside me, simply because I bought a simit (sesame bread) from the shop for one of them last week. So it was 3 dogs and 3 simits this morning and no doubt word will spread!

    Annie: I wish we had a reasonable temperature all year round, rather than too hot or too cold.
    I like having flights booked..something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My confidence is improving Perpetua, even if my language isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. A will be away a long time, understand the reasoning though! nice that he will be able to come home to take care of the pets when you're going to England! you seem to be doing quite nicely with communicating with the businesses around you! I like the Post Office mix up...I do believe they all go to the same school worldwide...similar things have happened to me over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Theanne, I'm sure losing parcels just so you can search for them, is all part of the post office training.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Ayak, I know how difficult it is to sort things out in a second language, but it really is a confidence booster when you manage it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jan. I'm sure it's the lack of confidence that prevents my language from improving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy that this day turned out so nice......everyone needs one of those days, and you sure deserve it.

    Mr. A is sure going to be away for a while....happy for him with his new job.

    Thats good you are getting around and settling your 'affairs' with the Turkish language. Those post offices UGH! here they call the post office "Snail Mail"
    Thats why I watch the TV Dramas, it's really helped me poilsh up on the language. My husband always talks English to me...I think he's forgetting himself.

    Ahhh those poor doggy's, they sure are lucky you buying them simit's. I use to buy dog food and cat food when I stay at my MIL's apt.I feel so sorry for them.We don't have any roaming animals at all except for the racoons.....which are a real pain.

    Good thing you bought your tickets.....that will be so nice for you to celebrate their birthdays...... Sure will be a treat.

    Stay warm and have a great day!!!!!

    What is a cooker????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erica. Thankyou, I am really looking forward to my trip to England, as always.

    Cooker: Sorry it's an English word and I forget that some of my followers aren't always familiar with such words. It's oven...well I use it to mean my entire appliance, ie the hob and oven. All of which was thoroughly cleaned yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A successful day!

    Well done, SP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ayak....thanks for the explanation of a cooker....I first thought it was a pot of some kind.
    You know English (American)is my first language and when I was in high school and we went to London on a school trip....none of us could fully understand what some of the words were. In later years when I went it was some strong accents we couldn't understand, well they probably couldn't understand me either :-)

    ....have a great warm and sunny and restful day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome Erica. It can be difficult for visitors to the UK to understand some of the regional accents. Over the years here I've started to notice the different dialects in Turkey. This village has such a strong dialect that even Mr A finds it difficult at times to understand what people are saying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ayak,
    Glad I found your blog through Jack's Pansies, and thanks for following mine. Isn't it lovely when the sun shines. Our roof has just sprung a leak so the last two days warm weather was very welcome to dry everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi BtoB: Am enjoying your blog and thanks for popping in here to comment. The sunshine is very welcome at the moment. Just one leak? You are so lucky...our house is full of leaks and we need quite a few more days like today to dry it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you so much Ayah for visiting my blog and following!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're welcome Theanne. It takes me a while to get round to the many blogs I want to read but I get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay, you're coming to England. Hopefully we can connect if you have time. Glad your parcel arrived. Hope things continue to go well while Mr. Ayak is away. He may come back and see everything done and worry you don't need him anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 'Cross the Pond; Now there's a point! Maybe I'll leave him a few jobs to do. I wouldn't want him to feel redundant. I hope we can find time to meet up. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x