Monday, 27 February 2012

Repairing and Recycling

Mr A will be setting off for Kusadasi on Wednesday and as the weather has been good this week, we have been working through the never-ending list of jobs to be done.

Whilst I was working my way through cupboards, drawers and wardrobes, sorting out things to recycle or throw away, Mr A replaced the netting on the mosquito door.  Beki has a knack of being able to open this screen door from the inside by pushing it outwards, and from the outside by tapping it with her paw several times until it springs open.  It's a pity she hasn't learned to shut it behind her!   All this effort on her part had resulted in a few tears and holes in the netting.

We then lit a bonfire to burn some rubbish and bagged up old clothes which will be left beside the rubbish bins in the village.   I have learned from past experience that even the poorest Turks are very proud and it's not a good thing to embarrass them by handing over bags of clothes...unless you know them very well....so leaving them well wrapped by the bins makes sure that those who need them will take them.

The new washing machine having been installed and working well,   we needed to remove the old machine from the kitchen, down the steps and across the garden to the old house. 

Our immediate neighbour Dursune (the one with the donkey, two cows, and lots of chickens) watched as Mr A inched his way down the steps with the machine.  She had seen the new one being delivered and wanted to know what we were doing with the old one.  She asked if she could have it.  Mr A replied that of course she could but it doesn't work and will cost around 250 lira to repair.  "That's OK" she replied "I'll get it fixed"  (quite how she would be able to find 250 lira is a mystery)

So with the help of Mehmet from up the hill, the machine was transported to the small terrace outside her house.   I am pretty sure that this is where it will remain, unfixed, for the foreseeable future.  Not many people have washing machines in this village.  Those that do see them as status symbols.  Instead of installing them in their houses, they have them plumbed to outside taps and proudly on display on their terraces and balconies.

Dursune's "new" washing machine gathered a great deal of interest yesterday.  Throughout the day, women passed, spotted the machine, and stopped to chat with Dursune about her new acquisition. 

Dursune is in her 70s.  She  has never had a washing machine in her life and I believe she will have much more fun admiring it and chatting about it,  than actually getting it fixed and using it.

13 comments:

  1. a delightful end to the washing machine saga, and for your old machine....lets hope it brings your neighbour years of useful service....in whatever capacity she chooses. best wishes, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very difficult to de-junk. I've loads of stuff hanging around "just in case"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for your lil' neighbour that never had a washing machine.At least now she has a conversation piece in her house when her friends stop by. :-)
    Funny they think of it as a status symbol....here if you have a loaded Range Rover is status enough.

    yes.....I noticed that the Turks are a proud people especially about hand-me-downs. We have tons of 'Garage Sales' here every Saturday...where people hold it in their driveways and garages. Clothes and household items. You get hundreds of people coming in a duration of 4 hours. It's not only the low income but I mean everyone. Sometimes you could find antiques and all and designer clothes....which I mean all the time. In New jersey when I lived there the stuff was amazing there to buy. When my sister in law came from Izmir she was dying of embarrassment to go.....I told her look women coming out of Mercedes. I guess it's a different culture.

    Have a great day sorting out your 'stuff'and happy washing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy Dursune has your "old" washer...it is more difficult now for me to imagine this happening in the USA. when I was a child a lot of the folks around us had their washers on the porch, now I'm wondering if it was for a similar reason as Dursune! I like that you are mindful of the pride of your Turkish neighbors, very kind of you and Mr A!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice I'm sure it will give her hours of pleasure. She has covered it with heavy plastic today because it's raining. Similar plastic to that which she covers the donkey with!

    BtoB: I am by nature a hoarder so this doesn't come easy to me..but I do try!

    Erica: Yes a totally different cultural attitude. Personally I am happy to accept other peoples' cast-offs and some of my best clothing bargains have come from charity shops on my visits to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theanne, they are such lovely people I'm always mindful of not doing anything that would cause offence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if this is the final piece in the 'repair man who broke the washing machine' jigsaw. My 'read too many Agatha Christie' mind says he is related to her and will now simply fix the minor repair required and she will have a very good machine - no?! No you are right - the old machine was just pooped, we seem to have one every couple of years - they just don't make things to last like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd make an excellent detective Kv. Hmmm...I wonder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear that the saga of washing machines has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your new machine has arrived, Ayak, and your old one has found such an appreciative home, whatever its future function.

    I can well imagine that people may well be unhappy to be seen as recipients of charity, so your discreet solution is ideal.

    Incidentally, now that Blogger has switched the pop-up and full-page comment formats to their swish new look, I can no longer subscribe to this comment thread to read your reply or further comments. That's why I've just changed to the embedded format. Yet another change that dosn' work properly. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no Perpetua...another Blogger change that's difficult to deal with. Is there anything we (or I) can do to make it work? If you suss it out (which you always seem to be able to do) please let me know...as long as the explanation is easy!

    (I'm just going to pop over to your blog and test it out for myself)

    ReplyDelete
  12. omentide: Thankyou..I like happy endings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a excellent article, I am very happy to read this. I agree with the ending of this article. I think, it's a great way to recycling and reuse of cupboards, drawers, wardrobes, ashing machine, etc. Today, many peoples are interested in buying new products but it's very costly. So, you need to satisfy on your old product, if it's not working properly then repair it. Today, recycling is important to reduce the pollutant. Recycling Market Reports

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x