Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Spring arrived then disappeared.

The rain finally stopped after two days and the sky was brighter today, although the temperatures have dropped again considerably. There was I thinking a few days ago that Spring had sprung..but winter has returned.
 
Sunday was so spring like that I got the camera out to capture the almond blossom.
 
Mr A received a call from Kusadasi to say that the latest in the endless series of jobs would start on 15th March, although he will go over there a little earlier to settle in. He also received a phone call from his boss from the hamam in Torba where he worked last year. He informed Mr A that he was heading down to Torba this weekend and could Mr A pop over to see him to discuss the possibility of working for him again this summer.
 
Mr A is a little wary about committing himself to the Torba boss, because he had been promised a winter job in Istanbul with him which should, as you may recall, have started in October. Well he was let down badly over this one, and we have been struggling through the winter ever since.
 
He has decided he will talk to Torba boss though, just to see what is on offer. He also seems to be toughening up a bit because he intends to suggest that if Torba boss wants him to commit himself for the summer, then he needs to put his money where his mouth is. Ie he will ask him for an advance now on his summer wages.
 
I don't hold out much hope of him achieving this...but you never know.
 
If they reach an agreement, he will start in Torba on 1st May. In the meantime he will work in Kusadasi selling carpets until the end of April.
 
We are still working through our list of  chores to be done before Mr A goes.   However he seemed distracted today and ignored the list completely. He has spent almost the entire day in his shed, sawing, hammering and sanding wood. You may recall the fence he built along the driveway and  the picnic table he made a couple of months ago.  He has acquired a real passion for wordwork these days, and is recycling lots of wood that has been in the old house for years.
 
This afternoon he emerged from his shed and, covered from head to toe in sawdust, he produced a magazine rack for me.   I don't really need one but he was so pleased with himself that of course I have told him it's beautiful (actually it is) and now I have to find somewhere to put it.
 
I have been busy cleaning the house today, and Mr A has just come in, shed his clothes to have a shower...and there is sawdust everywhere....oh well.

14 comments:

  1. what a lovely magazine rack he's built for you...but ohhhhhh the saw dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was even sawdust in his eyelashes Theanne...such a mess!

      Delete
  2. Knew it! Mr A is a treasure. I'd love a magazine rack. Axxx
    (It's turned chilly here today but it has been gorgeous and all our blossom is ...well, blossoming!)
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you ever come to Turkey Annie, I'll ask him to make you one...I'm sure he'd be delighted!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh........that's so sweet of him to build you such a nice magazine rack. He looks cool with all that dust, thank God you have a new washing machine. I see you have an Oprah Magazine.

    The weather here is bonkers also, considering this is Canada in my neck of the woods we have had NO snow at all which is rare. But but yesterday was like spring, today get the shovels out to shovel the snow and freezing rain warnings....UGH!

    Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I had a subscription to Oprah magazine for a year. It was so much cheaper than subscriptions for English magazines, and actually I really enjoyed it. I didn't renew it this year because I didn't seem to have the time to read one mag before the next one arrived, so I've still 2 or 3 to catch up on.

      Don't envy you your weather!

      Delete
  4. Glad that work seems to be on the horizon for Mr A, Ayak, though it's a shame about winter reappearing. The magazine rack looks lovely and it's great that he's recycling old wood to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perpetua I'm hoping the old wood runs out soon because he can't seem to shake off the wordwork bug. He tells me he is going to start building a seat for the balcony tomorrow...aargh more sawdust everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That happened here in Georgia! It was super hot for a couple of weeks and the trees thought it was spring and so they started blooming and then it got cold again. However, now spring is back again. By the looks of it is pretty cold in Turkey today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been icy cold here today Kelleyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we took your lovely Turkish weather! We had a beautiful sunny day here in Cork, Ireland, 16C today. I want to adopt Mr.A, I love things made especially for me..... the magazine rack lock great! and you are so lucky to be getting a seat for the balcony, the sawdust will go but you will always have the seat! Mind your back moving all that furniture around. I'm the opposite, I have to get it right on day one. Everything in my house has to stay put as I could not deal with stuff being moved. I would feel it was someone else's house!! Even the sugar and tea have their own place in the kitchen presses, a friend who visited recently (I hadn't seen her for years, said "I always know where to find the tea and bisciuts in this house"......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noreen. It's funny how we are all so different about things in our houses isn't it? I just cannot leave anything in the same place for too long!

      Delete
  9. I was disappointed about the quick appearance of spring as well Linda. Off to the Uk today so hopefully when I return all will be well. Hubby is fed up of the work situation of tourism in Turkey as well. Not like it used to be. He keeps talking about the old days but what can we do but try and struggle through or change trades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nat. They all talk about the old days in tourism but I think the "all inclusive" hotels have done the most damage to local economies. And as for changing trades...Mr A has tried but it's not easy is it?

      Have a great time in the UK...it's been a long time hasn't it?

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x