Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Want a laugh? But seriously though....

I'm sure most of you, like me, get those awful scam emails from people in Nigeria or Ghana, and elsewhere, offering you the opportunity to share in their good fortune,   I must get at least 2 or 3 a week that go into my junk mail box and then are deleted and blocked.

I rarely read them before deleting, but because my head is a little fuzzy at the moment, I opened one without realising and found myself reading it.

..............................
"GOOD DAY MY DEAR

FROM Mr. Chris Nkrumah Ashanti Regina Manager
International commercial bank of Ghana

Attn;

My Name is Mr. Chris Nkrumah I am the Ashanti regional manager of the International commercial bank of Ghana. I got your information during my search from the Ministry of works/commerce and industry. It may interest you to hear that I am a man of Peace and don't want problem, I only hope we can assist each other. If you don't want this business offer kindly forget it as I will not contact you again.I have packaged a financial transaction that will benefit both of us. As the regional manager of the International commercial bank of Ghana; it is my duty to send in a financial report to my head office in the capital city Accra the end of each year.

In the course of 2009 end of year report, I discovered that my branch in which I am the manager made an excess profit of Eight Million Seven Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars [8,750.000.00] which my head office is not aware of and will never be aware of. I have since place this fund on what we call SUSPENSE ACCOUNT without any beneficiary.As an officer of the bank I can not be directly connected to this money, so this informed my contacting you for us to work so that you can assist me receive this money into your bank account for us to SHARE.You will have 30% of the total fund.

Note there are practically no risks involved, it will be a bank to bank transfer, all I need from you is to stand as the original depositor of this fund who made the deposit with our branch so thatmy Head office can order the transfer to your designated bank account. If you accept this offer to work with me, so as I am still at the office at the moment I want this fund to move out of this country because I will be going on retirement soon so kindly be of good courage and stand for an assistance to move this fund out of the country,For your interested to assist me and 60% for me and 30% for you and also 10% for your assistance and also for more procedure and Details get back to me with bellow informations:

1. NAME IN FULL:...............................
2. YOUR COUNTRY/DIRECT HOME ADDRESS:.............
3. NATIONALITY:...................................
4. AGE:.............................................
5. Sex..............................................
6. OCCUPATION/POSITION:.............................
7. MARITAL STATUS:..................................
8. PHONE............................................
9. FAX:.............................................
10.A SCAN COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OR DRIVERS LICENSE
please for more details contact me Directly here Email:(nkurmah_chris@yahoo.com)

I will appreciate it very much. As soon as I receive your response I will detail you on how we can achieve it successfully.
Best regards,
Mr. Chris Nkrumah
For any Inquiry contact me:TEL/+233543753147"
.........................
I actually laughed out loud when I got to the bit about scanning a copy of my passport or driving license. 
However, laughing aside, I read somewhere recently that there are people out there who actually fall for these scams.  They end up losing their life savings.
What would make any sane person fall for this?  Naivety?  Greed?  What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. I share your sense of the ridiculous here, Ayak. I only hope there are not people out there so naive as to truly imagine this can be for real. But as the smile of amusement fades, I suspect there may be more than one who really does think this might just be the chance of a lifetime....Sigh. It does sadden me that people have this side to them. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greed is in there somewhere, but also a wish to change a life which doesn't satisfy. Sometimes our inner needs blind us to commonsense reality.

    Thankfully I never see these as our ISP filters them out and they never get downloaded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the morning chuckle here.....I can't believe that someone would actually fall for this. BUT I see on the news here that people actually get bilked out of thousand's of dollars....... Going for these scams from Nigeria. Are these people 'naive' or what????
    We actually get phone calls from Nigeria asking for info.....in the middle of the night. They don't even see the time difference that we are on the other side of the world. Why are you calling in the middle of the night?????

    It's sad that people have to be so desperate or just are plain criminal.My daughter got an email last month stating with her name and some other person with the same last name.....saying that a lost 'dead' relative left 12 million bucks. Please forward this amount to release the money.DUH!!!!

    Oh well.....I guess stuff like this makes the world go around.

    ...yes I will buckle my husband down and make sure he will be a guest speaker soon.

    ....have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never understood why anyone would fall for these scams but that I've never understood why people invest on Wall Street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desperation, I suspect.

    Currently I'm getting them from American veterans of Afghanistan, siphoning off drug money....

    Now that I might start to believe....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think vulnerable people could fall for it. It scares me ... the thought of my becoming so confused that I might ever do such a thing because surely no one in their right mind does it.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  7. He put his phone number on the email...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments everyone. We seem to think its a mixture of desperation and greed. I have been thinking more about this and even though it made me laugh I do think its sad that there are people who are gullible enough to be taken in. As I recall there was a TV documentary recently about these scams, but I've searched and can't find it.

    Omentide: yes I noticed the phone number...maybe he thinks he will be more convincing if he gives a number?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x