Pages

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

When Mr A is away....

....everyday life can sometimes be a little difficult.  It's when I realise how much I rely on him for certain things.

It's been very windy for the last couple of days, and the roof of the old house has been keeping me awake.  It's a pitched roof but there is some corrugated iron at the front and it's been banging all night.  Early this morning I had to get the ladder which Mr A recently made during his wordwork phase and climb up to sort it out.  Not an easy task as the ladder seems to weigh a ton.  Anyway I struggled up and down a few times with some heavy rocks and placed them on the iron which will do the trick for now.

The mosquito screen door also kept blowing open and banging in the wind because the catch was loose.  I attempted to tighten it but it just wouldn't work so I've had to remove it completely...again not easy because the screws holding it were so tight.

As it's been so cold, I decided to switch the aircon on heat setting in the sitting room...two days ago. Because we haven't used it for so long, I'd forgotten how to reset it and I've lost the instructions.  It's taken two days to work it out...finally I cracked it this morning.  Of course if Mr A was here he would have done it in 2 minutes.

I struggle when I have to carry anything heavy, because I have arthritis in my hands, so am always grateful that Mr A usually gets our shopping from Milas.  But today I needed things so set off on the dolmuş.  Oh what a treat....a little old (very smelly) lady sat next to me.  She proceeded to tell me she was off to see the doctor as she was unwell.  She needn't have mentioned it because she coughed, spluttered and sneezed all over me for the entire journey.  No doubt I'll get whatever she's got within the next few days.

I should only have bought what I really needed but saw a small electric fan heater that we need to replace one that no longer works, and an electric kettle...both at bargain prices, so these added to the weight of my shopping.

I missed the bus home by 2 minutes...I saw it disappearing into the distance, and had to wait an hour for the next one.

Finally...home.  I started to boil up pasta and chicken livers for the dog...and joy of joys...the gas bottle ran out.   These huge bottles are delivered everywhere else in Turkey...but not to this village.  The village shop used to keep them, but not anymore, so this is another thing that Mr A usually deals with. I only buy one about every 6 months as it's only used for the gas hob, so I never remember when it's likely to run out.   So I've found a very small gas bottle in the old house but it's taken me some time to fix the connection and trivet to it so that I can use it for one saucepan at a time.

Thank goodness I bought that electric kettle this morning, because I only had a hob kettle.

So...Mr A's job in Istanbul started on Saturday.  They aren't getting many customers because of the heavy snow and icy conditions, but hopefully things will pick up.  He will get one day a week off but of course it's too far and too expensive for him to come home for just one day.   He thinks that next month, once he's been paid, he may be able to save one of his free days and take two together, in which case he will fly home for a brief visit.

No doubt he will be expecting to relax once he gets here.   No chance...I already have a list of jobs for him to do!

.................................................

Check out Property Turkey

26 comments:

  1. They have their uses...

    I had problems with the tilapia tank last week. It is covered in wire to deter theft but has a hatch for access to the drainpipe.
    The Men had wired this shut, so I tried to wriggle my hand under it to push the hosepipe down the blocked drain....
    Result, enough scratches and bruises to look as though I'd been on the losing end of a fight so I had to go down to the shed and fetch the wire cutter and struggle with that to cut the attachments - barbed, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy Mr. A has a job, regret it's so far away! my first husband was pretty much an absentee for 17 years...I learned to take care of myself or just plain do without! My wonderful 2nd husband (now deceased) would do anything and everything he could to ease my life...I miss him but I'm happy I learned to take care of me...of course I'm getting older now and it's more difficult to be brave and independent LOL! Sounds like you managed to work most things out...brava for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fly that sounds like a nasty job. You're right men do have their uses!

    Theanne: I do as much as I possibly can myself..it's a case of having to as Mr A is more often away than not. I always feel a sense of achievement though if I manage something that Mr A thinks is a "man's job" that I couldn't possibly do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news re work...bad news that it's so far from home.

    Bon courage,

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds tough,Linda. But you sound as if you can cope admirably! I love the photo at the top of your blog BTW - it is beautiful in your part of the world. Glad Mr A got a job but yes, it is a bit far. Take care, keep warm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claudia. Thankyou. yes I like the header photo too. It wasn't taken by me..I pinched from our village Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ayak you manage wonderfully. Well of course you do, because there is no other option! Men certainly do have their uses, and if Steve were here I would have a list for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really hard when they work away a lot, they do expect to relax some at home but I too always have a list of chores. It's a difficult balance. Well done for managing so far. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep at it, Ayak, you are doing a wonderful job. Whilst it might feel like you're lurching from one 'learning experience' to another - it will get easier and you can be so proud of yourself when you look back. I know when my husband had to go into hospital, that's when all the things he usually looks after went wrong! And I coped. We do - we cope. And it's good that Mr. A has work. I hope he gets back for a visit soon - but mostly I hope that the weather improves and you haven't picked up unnecessary germs. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan: It's true I have no other option at the moment.

    KV: Yes getting the balance right is important. Nothing worse than bombarding them with jobs to do the minute they walk through the door.

    Annie: Thanks. I've coped with these situations for nearly 14 years now. I find writing down the list of jobs I want him to do, but then trying to do them myself and tick them off, gives me a huge sense of achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy for Mr. A....but sorry that the job is so far away. Oh well absence makes the heart grow fonder.But you sound like you can really take good care of yourself there...you are pretty independent.
    Hope you don't catch that nasty thing that woman was spreading in the dolmus. :-(

    Oh I was laughing to myself about your gas bottles. I had never seen or heard of anything like that 'gas bottle'...so when I first went to Turkey I was shocked at their mini stove tops with two cooking trivets and some gas bottle..... that was being delivered......well that just showed me how spoiled I was. I noticed everyone there has those pressure cookers.They cook everything in them. I was actually scared that they might blow up with that propane.....Aygas sure is busy there. No 6 burners and 2 oven stoves there with a grill top.

    Maybe Mr. A will return home soon for a visit and do them chores....but I still think that you are a real trooper.

    take care... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your reassuring words Erica. It's true, most women here use pressure cookers. I won't because I'm terrified of them! I keep meaning to bring back a slo-cooker from England which would be useful...providing we don't have a powercut while it's plugged in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you've had a right old week of it, but you've coped with it all amazingly well! Things can only get better!! Touch wood! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Emma...I'm always touching wood! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhh soo sorry I didn't mean to scare you with those unreassuring words. After all these years of visitng there I got use to those gas bottles.......I don't think about runing out of the kitchen when they start to cook anymore. Does the "Aygas" truck still drive through town with the loud speaker on it singng 'Aygas" non-stop??? I thought that was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erica I'm not sure the Aygaz van still sings over the speakers because they have had a system in place now for a number of years where each customer is given a number, they ring Aygaz quote their number and the bottle is delivered.
    I do however remember the first time I heard the Aygaz song. I had only been here a few weeks. I thought it was an icecream van so rushed out to buy one...so was quite disappointed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm afraid of pressure cookers too! One of my earliest memories as a child is of one blowing beans all over our kitchen when I was around 1-2 years old. lol I hope you get a new gas bottle soon. I remember seeing one of those stoves for the first time. I was afraid of that too...but after a few days was lighting it and cooking away like a pro! :)

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like everyone else I'm very glad about Mr A's job, but sorry it's so far away. And of course the gas bottle would choose now to run out! Can you get replacement small ones in the village to tide you over til Mr a can get home??

    You are a strong and resourceful woman, so you will cope, but it isn't always fun having to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Terri. I can overcome most fears but am pretty certain I'll never use a pressure cooker.

    Perpetua. Well I found a small one in the shed but it doesn't fit the connection to the gas hob but I've attached a trivet to the small one so I can use one saucepan at a time. They sometimes have the small ones in the village shop so I should be OK for now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ayak, you are better than I am at looking after things. Well done for all your ingenuity!
    Hope Mr A is getting on OK at work.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Maggie. Well I think Mr A is doing OK....he's still there so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done to you and Mr. A. As for pressure cookers, I have been cooking with one for years but I would recommend you buy one in the UK if possible. Then you can buy a proper name like SEB (and not a Turkish made-under-licence brand). My orginal one which I lost in the landslide was a SEB, guaranteed for 10 years and with a special security block. I think exploding pressure cookers are a thing of the past and they do save you a heck of a lot of money especially for things like chickpeas or dry beans.
    Anyway, I am glad that Mr A's job is holding out, hope you are bearing up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Vicky..all is well at the moment, thanks.
    I think you're right about buying a pressure cooker from the UK, should I ever be brave enough to get one. The ones I've seen here do look rather unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too am terrified of pressure cookers. Mr Fly uses them with aplomb...but not me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fly, I've got through life so far without one so I doubt I'll use one now. When my MIL first came to stay she asked where mine was and was very surprised I didn't have one. The Turks have no fear!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x