Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Beki update

Mehmet, the vet, arrived from Milas yesterday morning as arranged.  He is the nicest vet I have encountered since moving to Turkey 14 years ago. 

He has no fear of dogs, as do many of the vets here, and he was very gentle with Beki.  He administered the anaesthetic efficiently, and Beki wasn't completely unconscious but immobilised.  He cut the dew claws, including the one which was causing the problem, and he also gave her an antibiotic injection.

Beki slept all day, which is quite normal, although on a couple of occasions she tried to stand up but couldn't put the weight on her feet, so collapsed again..

When she was able to stand last night, she was very slow moving around, and after a while I noticed she was limping.  It was one of her front legs that seemed to be causing the problem.  Nothing to do with the abscess that was forming under the dew claw, as that was one of her back legs.  I could only assume that she had sprained her leg whilst she was trying to stand up too soon.

I called in to see Mehmet this morning, and he agreed with me that this is probably what had happened.  In any case she is actually walking about and putting a certain amount of pressure on the leg, so clearly it's nothing serious.  I now have some anti-inflammatory medication for her, which Mehmet had already ordered in for me which will also help with Beki's arthritis.

Beki has just eaten a small amount of food.  She's a lot brighter today so I am sure she will be OK.

I am delighted to have found this vet.  His surgery is very clean and well stocked, and he also has a few boarding kennels at the rear of the premises, and is happy to board dogs when their owners are away.  I had a look at them while I was there.  There are only a few kennels, but they are clean, and the dogs there seemed happy and well cared for.  He has on occasion taken in street dogs too.  You all know how I feel about the plight of these dogs, so it's lovely to find a Turkish vet who really cares.

Mehmet has really put himself out for my dogs.  He ordered Beki's new bed last month, and it was so kind of him to come out to the village to treat her yesterday. And his prices are incredibly reasonable.  I would have no hesitation in recommending him.  In this respect, I asked him for his website and have put a link to it on my sidebar.

20 comments:

  1. Good morning Ayak, so glad this went well. The vet sounds excellent, well worth the recommendation. Give Beki a pat from me. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. Pat duly passed on and appreciated :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Good vets are hard to find here Kv. He is a keeper.

      Delete
  3. A good idea to recommend him. Expats visiting home might be glad to be able to board their dogs with someone so trustworthy.

    Glad Beki is feeling more herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought Fly. Especially as Milas isn't far from the airport, and vets in Bodrum charge far more.

      Delete
  4. So happy for Beki.....glad she's all good. That's so good you found a good Vet, sure takes a load off your mind when you need one.Great idea posting his website, especially for some ex/pats in the area.. I'm sure he's very appreciative. My Dad (RIP) was a Vet...I think that's why I got that extra love for animals.

    Now you can leave your Fur Babies at a kennel when you travel if the price is right. Here they charge an arm and leg and more. Thats why I always got a relative to look after mine.

    Happy all is well.....freezing here but sunny. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am fortunate Erica because if I am away, Mr A or a friend takes care of the dogs. But there are people who don't have this, so it's a useful servce. If I had an emergency and no-one to look after the dogs, I would feel confident leaving them with Mehmet.

      Delete
  5. Even though the situation is changing in its own pace, vets in Turkey are generally trained to work on cattle and such rather than pets. So you can pretty much assume that an average vet doesnt know about treating a dog more than you do. But young doctors especially who own their own clinic are quite a different story. They realize that the game has changed and they know what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right jedilost, and when it comes to treating farm animals most vets here are very good. I have noticed the gradual change since I moved here, now that more people are beginning to consider dogs as pets, but this happens more in the expat areas of course. In the village environment it is more difficult to find a vet who is knowledgable about dogs, so it's great to find one who is.

      Delete
  6. So glad that Beki is ok! The doctor sounds like an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news about Beki. I'll get the vet's name from you if I decide we can have a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do I'll be happy to introduce him to you BtoB.
      If you click on the link Sonkul Veteriner on my sidebar, it takes you to his website.

      Delete
  8. am glad all went well it looks a lovely clinic xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that Beki's alright, dewclaws are strange things aren't they and tend to get forgotten about - I know I look at Jasper's other claws much more often than his dewclaws, so don't feel bad about not noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Blogger is playing up again today. I just replied individually to Kelleyn, Bomb and Jan and they didn't appear.

    I tried a second time and the same thing happened.

    So I'll just try typing in the general comment box and say thankyou all for your comments...and see whether this works xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased that Beki is recovering well from that horrid dew claw. That vet sounds a treasure.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She 's back to her normal noisy barking self today Maggie, and no sign of a limp.

      Delete
  12. Just catching up, Ayak, and delighted to read such a positive post. Your new vet is a real find. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Perpetua. Thanks for taking the time to catch up. I hope you're having a lovely time.

    The vet is a treasure. I'm so glad I found him.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x