Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Customer service

I think most of us get pretty fed up with having to deal with call centres when we have a problem these days.  There is nothing worse than having to press a series of buttons on your phone, in the hope that eventually, after listening to irritating music, while holding on, you might eventually speak to someone who will help you.

We gave up  Digiturk a couple of years ago, but I do recall that their customer service call centre was absolutely useless, and the operators were very rude most of the time.

I have mentioned before now that I find the same sort of "service" from TTNet and Turk Telekom call centres, and it all leaves me very bad tempered.

So imagine my pleasant surprise to find someone in a call centre who was actually extremely helpful.

In December we started to pay our monthly health insurance contribution, as part of the new legislation in Turkey.  Everyone now has to have health insurance.  If they don't pay their monthly contributions,  they may well receive a hefty fine.

Mr A has up until now paid the contribution in one of the designated banks in Milas.  It has to be paid by a certain day every month, and you can't pay for more than one month at a time.  Queues in banks here are a nightmare.  Mr A came home on Sunday and was travelling back to Kusadasi on Monday morning.  I went with him to Milas and we called at the bank to pay our insurance.  The bank was packed with people both inside and out.  We took a ticket for our place in the queue.  The number was 182.  The number appearing on the screen for the next customer was 97!  So we would have been there for hours.  We decided not to wait and Mr A set off for Kusadasi.

Yesterday, Mr A went to the bank in Kusadasi, but again the queues were too long and he needed to be at work.   I have made several attempts to pay online.  The Social Security department have been saying for some time that they were setting this up, and each time I've tried to do it, the service has been unavailable.  Yesterday I logged on to my account and discovered that the system had been set up.  However, after following instructions, I received a message saying that there was a problem.

I phoned the bank's call centre, and explained the problem to the girl on the other end of the phone.  I guess I expected her to say just try again later, but she didn't.  Instead she told me to stay logged into my account and she would go through the procedure with me to make sure I was doing it correctly.  Before proceeding, she said it would take some time, so to save my phone bill, would I like her to call me back?   And she did...straight away.  

After following her instructions, and appreciating her patience when I clicked on the wrong boxes a couple of times, which took me back the the beginning, it appeared that the problem was with the Social Security office.   So...still expecting the girl to say to me "try again later", I was surprised when she said that she would actually contact the Social Security department for me and find out what the problem was, and that she would call me back.

She did indeed callme back an hour later, and confirmed that it was a fault with the Social Security system, and apologised that she couldn't help me further on this occasion.  She suggested I try again today and if there were further problems to ring the call centre again for more help.

In my opinion, this is what customer service is all about.  How it used to be in the days before call centres.  That girl should be doing something better suited to her talents...she's wasted in a call centre.

12 comments:

  1. Or maybe she should be employed in all the call centres that annoy us so much... or she should be in charge of training for all call centre staff all over the world.
    Glad it worked out for you this time Ayak. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly had the right attitude Janice.

      Delete
  2. Oh Ayak, your last sentence made me smile out loud!
    I think it's probably a little better in Spain but I do miss the customer service I was used to in the UK - something that I think had really improved in the last 5 years or so. Anyone who doubts this should try living where we do! Let's hope this is a sign of the good things to come...and don't get me started on waiting to see the doctor!! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some countries are clearly worse than others when it comes to customer service Annie. It's first class here when it's face to face, it's the call centres that seem to bring the worst out of the operators.

      Delete
  3. Hi ayak,I also encountered some customer service like that and it is really disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Telemarketing. Yes there are lot of bad examples of customer service, so I was very happy to experience a good one.

      Delete
  4. Glad someone was helpful this time. They are helpful here b/c when you call it tells you that this is being recorded, so that means that it will be reviewed later...so I guess if you are useless your job is 'gone'.
    What bugs me here is that first it says a message in French (don't understand nothing), then English and some banks I've heard them chatter away in Mandarin (Chinese). Takes 5 minutes of that just to connect to an English line...then you get connected to someone in India...even better:-))) But that's for the phone companies. Sometimes I find a rudeness in the voice but they are helpful still (remember they are being recorded), I think they are holding themselves. Probably had a few annoying customers throughout the day.
    Do the banks have no bank machines outside to pay these bills????? Never heard of so many people in line in a bank.:-(
    Have a great day.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica. there are machines outside the banks, but the queues for those are long too!

      And the call are recorded here too, but it doesn't seem to make much difference to the attitude.

      Delete
  5. How lovely to get a person like that. I hope that the problem is soon sorted out. It is terrible to have to queue so long in a Bank. In England now hardly anyone goes into a bank.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a pleasant experience Maggie. The girl actually rang me again today to tell me that the problem at the Social Security office had been resolved. Unfortunately I was out and by the time I returned home hours later, the problem was bacj again. I'll try again tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely hate call centres and have had the misfortune to use them lately but the girl you had sounded great wish ours were like that xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was lovely Bomb. We didn't actually manage to resolve the online problem and still ended up at the bank today, but at least the girl tried her best.

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x