Friday, 23 March 2012

Dancing on Ice

I've always been fascinated by ice-skating.  When I was a child we sometimes went to an ice rink in Richmond.  I've no idea whether it's still there.  I was useless.  I could hardly stand up on skates, let alone move around the rink.  But mostly I was happy to watch those people who could skate.

I always enjoyed watching skating on TV, and like most people, will never forget that wonderful performance of Bolero by Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean when they won an Olympic gold medal in 1984.

18 years later Torvill and Dean are still magnificant skaters.   I absolutely love the Dancing on Ice series on TV.  It amazes me how these celebrities, most of whom have never skated before, end up so proficient after a few months training.

The final of the current series is on tomorrow, although I have to watch on catch-up on Sunday.  Can't wait!

 Is anyone else watching it?

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, no, Ayak, though I still have very fond memories of Torvill and Dean in their heyday as competitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still brilliant skaters Perpetua. In fact they seem to improve. Just goes to show that getting older doesn't prevent them from doing what they love.

      Delete
  2. hate to miss anything about ice skating...but no longer connected to any TV service! a personal choice as I tired of all the junk on US TV! hope you'll tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theanne we haven't had a TV for a couple of years either. I don't miss it. I watch what I want on my laptop. I can be selective and cut out all the rubbish.

      Delete
  3. I also was useless the few times I was taken skating as a child. I can still remember the ache in my ankles the day after struggling around the margins of the rink, trying to get one foot in front of the other in boots that never fitted properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The professionals make it look so easy BtoB

      Delete
  4. Coming from a country where Hockey is a national sport...everyone here in the old days learns to skate the day they take them diapers off. I don't have fond memories as I had only brothers and ended up with broken wrists a couple of times from ice skating....boys are not easy and fun to skate with.
    Never heard of Torvill and Dean...but will look them up on You Tube. Love how gracefully those Ice Skaters can be. So talented.

    Have a great day....gloomy and wet weather here, great if you are a duck. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh broken wrists must have been so painful Erica.

      Weather has been wonderful here this week x

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x