Wednesday, 21 March 2012

A Day Out

Spring is finally here, and it feels like summer is about to follow closely behind it.  Temperatures were up in the 20s today, and it's now warmer outside than inside.

I went over to Bodrum today, with a list of things to do.  The first, and the most pleasant, was to meet up with fellow blogger Annie from BacktoBodrum blog.  Unfortunately it was just a fleeting visit, because of my list.  Annie is as lovely as I imagined she would be, and I very much look forward to meeting her again soon, and spending a little longer with her.

Next on the list was the Turkish Airlines office.   The other day I received a call from THY call centre advising me that some of my flights had  been cancelled, and re-booked, and that I should call the customer service centre for more information.   I did just that and discovered that they had rebooked flights for me that were really inconvenient.   One would have arrived at Heathrow in the early hours of the morning, which meant that the previous flight from Bodrum to Istanbul would leave me waiting at the airport for 8 hours.

The time of the return journey from Heathrow to Istanbul remained the same, but the Istanbul to Bodrum flight was much later, leaving me with a further 7 hours at the airport.

After much discussion, satisfactory flights were re-booked.  However, for some reason they couldn't email me the amended eticket, and I had to go to the office in Bodrum to have it re-issued.  So now it's all sorted.

Next I met up with Gwen, and together we called  into a hotel in Gumbet to collect a packet that had been left there for Mr A.  Apparently, one of his friends had returned from a trip to Belgium a couple of weeks ago and Mr A had asked him to bring some chocolate for me.  I was told it would be waiting in Reception.   It wasn't.   I spoke to Mr A on the phone and he suggested I call in to his friend's restaurant to see if he had the chocolates with him.   He didn't.  He had indeed left them in the hotel reception, so we reckoned that someone must have eaten them.  He was so apologetic but of course it wasn't his fault, and it was very kind of him to have made the effort.  He is due to go to Belgium again soon and has promised me some more.

Gwen and I stopped for a coffee, then I set off to the bus station, calling into Migros supermarket on the way to pick up some flea collars for the dogs.

In the meantime, Mr A phoned to say he wasn't required in Kusadasi for a couple of days so he was on his way home.  I met him and we returned home together.

While I was out and about I had a further call from the girl at the bank call centre to let me know that the Social Security department had sorted out the problem with paying our insurance online.  It was hours before I could try it again, by which time the problem had resurfaced.   I guess I'll have to brave the bank queues tomorrow.

I haven't seen Mr A all evening.  He has been shut in our tiny bathroom for the past 3 hours, giving Poppy a much needed haircut.   Makes a change from the woodwork!

20 comments:

  1. A busy and somewhat frustrating day...but how brilliant that you met with Annie from BacktoBodrum....and of course that you and Mr A. were able to come home together. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a little frustrating but I achieved quite a bit Janice

      Delete
  2. That was some day!
    But at least most of it was positive...apart from the chocolates....we have family coming from Belgium soon and chocolates are high on the list for the Red Cross parcel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing quite like Belgian chocolate Fly..delicious!

      Delete
  3. Can't believe all this in just one day! You've certainly packed a lot in. Glad the sun is shining now but so sorry about your chocolate - I would have had a hissy fit if someone ate my chocolate!
    We are going to have to give our hairy hound a haircut soon. Don't want it to take three hours though...Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Annie..if I ever find out who ate my chocolate, they had better watch out!

      Poppy looks much better now...good luck with your's.

      Delete
  4. Happy airline tickets sorted out...lovely that you met Annie...so sorry no chocolate...and Mr. A is home and giving Poppy a haircut! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theanne...busy busy busy!!

      Delete
  5. I thought I'd posted a comment to you yesterday.... either I'm losing my mind, or blo gremlins are at work. Sorry if this is a repeat ! basically, this sounds like it was a busy and somewhat frustrating day, but how lovely to have been able to meet up with Annie. You can tell, cant you, when you will get on with someone. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did post Janice, and I had the email notification along with the rest of the comments above. However when I went to moderate and publish...they just wouldn't. I think you're right..blogremlins at work again! OK now though.

      Delete
    2. So you have comment problems too...I was beginning to think it was something I was doing...but, as usual...it's Blogger.

      Delete
    3. I always tend to think it's me doing something wrong Fly, but am pretty sure on this occasion it was Blogger gremlins x

      Delete
  6. omg you have been a busy bee lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a busy day Bomb, but apart from the missing chocolates I seemed to achieve quite a lot

      Delete
  7. Fly had that problem on her blog recently, Ayak. I had to do 3 comments before 1 could get published. Sound like a busy and mainly productive day, but a shame you had it all to do in the first place. What is it with all these cancellations and rebookings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua I'm quite surprised that this happened with Turkish Airlines, because I've always had excellent service from them and when flight times have changed before, they always notify me by email as I book online. However it seems their system isn't working properly and they were unable to do this so went ahead and rebooked flights and someone phoned me later. It was a bit of a nuisance having to go to the office in Bodrum to have a ticket re-issued but it must be my lucky week for finding helpful people. The girl there was very pleasant, and I think I may well go there in future to book my flights.

      Delete
  8. I love these posts about your life in Turkey!
    Always good to meet up with another Blogger.
    Glad you got the air tickets sorted out.
    Had to smile about Mr A and Poppy and the hair cut!Hope she wasn't too stressed out. Or maybe Mr A got stressed out?
    Spring makes everything seem more pleasant, doesn't it?
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie. You're absolutely right, Spring does make everything seem more pleasant. Today has been glorious and it really lifts my spirits x

      Delete
  9. Happy things got sorted out and you met Annie, maybe this summer when I hit Bodrum I can meet you.....but the worst NO chocolate. That would absolutely damper my day, but if he promised next time I guess something to look forwrd to.
    Would love to be a fly on the wall while Mr. A was giving Poppy a haircut. :-))) Wow 3 hours, pretty exhausting. When my Husky would attack a skunk I would have to pay a weeks salary for a dog groomer to take her in ....sure don't miss those days.

    Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I am disappointed about the chocolate, but I keep telling myself it would only add to my weight! I'm sure we could arrange to meet up in Bodrum..that would be lovely...you must let me know when you are there xx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x