Pages

Sunday, 18 March 2012

Noisy Day

Today is Mothers Day in the UK.  Here in Turkey it is celebrated on the second Sunday in May.  I advised my daughter not to post a card to me last week, as my long awaited parcel has yet to arrive, so I hated the thought of her card also going astray.  She will hang on to it until I visit in April, so I'll keep it until Mothers Day here.

It's Sunday and I was looking forward to quiet day sitting out on the balcony.  The sun was shining and the wind has dropped and at one point the temperature reached 19 degrees...very pleasant.

However, it certainly hasn't been a quiet day.   From late morning onwards, people were gathering in the garden of the house next door but one from us.  They were there to mark the 40 days of mourning of the death of the old man who lived in the house just below us.  This meant that the prayers being called for him from the mosque lasted about two hours.  

For some reason, these prayers always set my dogs barking.  It's strange because they never bark during the normal calls to prayer which occur five times a day.  Maybe two hours is just too much for them, as it is for me!   Anyway, not wishing to disturb the mourners prayers, I shut the dogs in the house.

Mr A arrived home just after midday, and as soon as the mosque was silent, he started on his woodwork...again!  This time he decided to  remove part of the wooden fence and insert a gate.  Not satisfied with one job, he then built  some wooden steps leading from the gate into the garden.   The afternoon was spent listening to the noise of the electric saw, sander, hammer and nails.

Before he had finished, wedding celebrations started down in the village, so we now had music blasting out from loudspeakers.   And when I say blasting out, I mean just that.  Anyone familiar with Turkish weddings will know just how loud the Turks like their music.

It's nearly 10pm now and the wedding is still in full swing.  In the meantime, Mehmet from up the road has joined Mr A on our balcony for a chat.   I have taken myself off to the bedroom, where it's slightly less noisy, but Mr A is shouting.  Mehmet is almost completely deaf, so shouting is the only way to communicate with him.

Maybe tomorrow will be quieter.

21 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I wondered why Mother was so iffy when I called her today...forgot Mother's Day, didn't I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Never mind Fly. I'm assuming its not Mothers Day in Costa Rica? That's a good excuse maybe?

      Delete
    2. Not as far as mother is concerned....good job hanging was abolished!

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed how industrious Mr A is. He'd have our renovations finished by now. We spent the day on the roof enjoying the sunshine being very lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BtoB: He's obsessed. What worries me is that we still seem to have quite a lot of wood left. God knows what he's going to make next!
      Glorious day wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. oh my what a day! hope Monday is a quieter day for you and the dogs!

    Mother's Day is the second Sunday in May here too! Time to celebrate my DIL and her 2 small children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why the UK has it on a different date Theanne, but it's quite nice being able to celebrate it twice

      Delete
    2. Ayak, we have it on a different day because it's basically a very old church festival known as Mothering Sunday, which is always on the 4th Sunday of Lent. In Britain the secular Mother's Day became attached to this, which is why ours moves around on the calendar instead of being a fixed date as elsewhere.

      As far as noise is concerned, what you need are ear plugs or an MP3 player. :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the explanation Perpetua. As soon as BtoB mentioned it, I remembered most of this. It's such a long time since I gave any thought to religious dates, that I'd completely forgotten.

      Well I have an MP3 player but can't find it, but I did put my headphones on with my laptop and watched a video so that drowned out some of the noise.

      Delete
  4. Must be the weather - it was a noisy day here yesterday too, with celebrations for San Jose - lots of people out on the streets and a general rising of decibels. Your description has made me smile though, so for your sake, I hope today is proving calmer and quieter.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, it's unbelievably quiet today...just the way I like it.

      Delete
  5. Our Mother's day is actually Mothering Sunday - two weeks before Easter, when people traditionally return to their mother church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course it is BtoB. I'm sure I knew that..must have had a mental block, or maybe it's my age lol

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about weddings, it's the only thing I don't look forward to about summer. It's the fact that it goes on non-stop for 3 days and the fireworks at the end turn my dog into a gibbering wreck! However anything better than the snow we've had since December, it's actually starting to melt today and we can see bits of the blackened grass now!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the fireworks Vicky. They started here around 11pm last night when my dogs were fast asleep, and they too get very stressed.
      Ahh...I miss the snow in Goreme!

      Delete
  7. WoW!!!! Mr. A sure is on a roll, you probably have the best looking house in the neighborhood. ;-)))

    I had a chuckle when you said about the noisy wedding, yes I've heard them before. Here they would have arrested them for noise control and got fined.
    Talk about noise I use to live in New York City in Manhattan for 10 years across from Grand Central Station....that was noisy, 24/7. When someone phoned I had to shut the windows or I couldn't hear the person who called me.

    Hope you have a more quiet and peaceful day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness Erica. Living opposite Grand Central Station must have been really noisy!

      Today has been very peaceful.

      Delete
  8. You will have to get some ear muffs lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a large hotel a couple of roads away from us on the other side of a small park, last summer they seemed to have a wedding party every weekend. With fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh not much sleep at weekends then Peter!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x