Pages

Sunday, 25 March 2012

Nostalgia...1. TV programmes


I've been feeling quite nostalgic recently.  I can't explain why.  I see a photo, an article, a TV programme, or hear a song, and I find myself travelling down memory lane.

I recently posted about the TV drama "Call the Midwife" which was set in the 1950s.  It was beautifully made and a pleasure to watch.  Being a young child in the 50s, I couldn't remember much of the decade but watching the series reminded me of the family photos I have seen taken at the time.  The clothes and the hairstyles...all captured perfectly in the programme.

I am now indulging myself in a bit of nostalgia for the 1960s, my teenage years, which I do remember very well, by watching a new TV series called White Heat.

White Heat is created by Paula Milne and is broadcast on BBC2. The series follows the lives, loves and betrayals of seven different characters whose relationships are forged from the 1960’s right up until the modern day.

Charlotte, a woman in her 60s, shows up at a flat in Tufnell Park. When she was younger, she was one of seven students who lived in the flat, where one of them has recently passed away. The other five are also due to show up to help sort out their friend's belongings. Charlotte's old memories  are ignited and take us back  to 1965, when she was a 19-year-old undergraduate setting out on a journey of discovery, love and life.

Those who lived through the 60s will remember it as being the decade of change.   Again, the BBC do a wonderful job in capturing the essence of the period.

14 comments:

  1. Ayak, a fair chunk of my blog is an exercise in nostalgia, so I know just where you are coming from in this post. :-) I loved Call The Midwife, but haven't caught up with White Heat, more's the pity, because I too was 19 in when I went to university in 1965. We're off to Scotland this week and will be without TV until early May and we don't have a broadband connection anywhere that is good enough for iPlayer. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua. I think subconsciously the whole nostalgia thing with me was probably inspired by your blog posts. Make a note of this link to catch up with White Heat at your leisure http://www.watchseries-online.eu/category/white-heat

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Ayak, but unless it runs much better than iPlayer, I'll probably still be in trouble. I often can't even watch a YouTube clip or news item without it stuttering and starting again. We're OK in the wee small hours when no-one else is online, but during normal waking hours, and especially in the evenings, the contention is dreadful and our connection often drops out altogether...

      Delete
    3. Fair enough Perpetua, but in any case that website keeps the videos for a long time, so you'll probably still find it there way after you return.

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying White Heat too, although I'm a bit frustrated by Charlotte's relationship with her man. Its quite clear that Victor would be so much better for her ! Her mother's mental health issues are also being handled brilliantly. The late 50s/ early 60s use of ECT for depression, particularly for women who behaved in ways that were deemed not to be appropriate is particularly hard to watch, as this is what happened to my mother-in law.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how the late 70s affect them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Janice. The ECT issue was brilliantly done.
      I recall seeing a photo in one of the scenes in the first or second episode of Charlotte (pregnant) with Victor (or maybe I imagined it)..so maybe their relationship does develop.

      Delete
  3. For me one of the best things about 'White Heat' (and I really mustn't read too much of what posted here because I still have to catch up!) is the production. The use of light is fantastic, really puts me in mind of photographs from the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maud and welcome to my blog.

      I didn't think about the lighting till you mentioned it but you are so right. It does create the right atmosphere.

      Delete
  4. Mr. Fly remembers ECT vans visiting the village when he was a small boy...
    I see White Heat is on iPlayer, so I'll take a look.
    I often wonder where I was when the 'Swinging Sixties' was going on...probably in the library!
    I didn't miss the demos though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library was probably the most sensible place to be Fly, which is why you are so knowledgable and I'm not! I was in London in a flat in Earls Court towards the end of the 60s...a great place to be. I did a few of the CND marches in the 70s, and used to go down to visit a friend near Newbury, so that we could take provisions to the women at Greenham Common. All the memories are flooding back now!

      Delete
  5. oooooh would love to see White Heat Ill have to look it up on the iplayer xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth watching Bomb.

      (PS..msn not working for me, nor FB chatbox. Can see your msn messages but can't reply. I think it's a laptop problem rather than iternet..must get it sorted)

      Delete
    2. Aarhhg!!! Blogger won't let me reply as Wordpress. What I said in my disappeared comment was that I loved Call the Midwife. I wanted to watch White Heat too, but have missed the beginning, but maybe I can get it on catch up.

      Delete
    3. Jan. I'm finding it difficult to comment on WP blogs. It seems Blogger and WP keep changing things at the moment...very annoying.
      You should be able to get White Heat on iPlayer, but if you can't, you can find it here:

      http://www.watchseries-online.eu/category/white-heat

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x