Pages

Monday, 12 March 2012

Teachers and Rain

Still in my positive frame of mind I am actually very thankful that it's raining today.   OK the storm last night and strong wind meant that water leaked into the house again, leaving me with more mopping up to do.  But there's a good side to the rain today.

For the past 4 or 5 days extensive work has been going on in the village.  The electricity company are doing something to the cables and the water company are repairing damaged pipes.  This work is likely to take some weeks yet and it means powercuts and watercuts.   The Muhtar for once has given this some serious thought and instead of the village  being subjected to a lack of water and electricity every day for around 8 hours, he has arranged for the cuts to be on alternate days.  So one day we have water and no electricity, the following day vice versa.  Both electricity and water companies seem agreeable with this arrangement.

However, nothing at all can be done when it's raining, so today we have both electricity and water.  I really don't mind if the rain continues for a few more days!

Armed with my umbrella I set off for Milas this morning as I had run out of food for the dogs.  The  rain wasn't so heavy but the dark clouds in the distance indicated that there was likely to be a lot more to come.  On my way to the village bus stop I was accompanied by half a dozen children on their way to school.  The usual conversation consists of them saying in turn "Hello, what is your name?" to which I reply and ask them the same question.   They already know my name.  I already know most of theirs, but at this stage in their education, this appears to be the only bit of English they know.  Sometimes I attempt a few more words, but it tends to reduce them to fits of giggles.

All the children are in the same class at the first school, and this morning they all carried posies of flowers.  At first I thought it must be Teachers Day, but as I recall this takes place in November.  I asked them who the flowers were for and they replied that they were for their teacher as it was her birthday today.  What a sweet gesture and what a lucky teacher.

And finally I'll just throw in another compliment to the dolmuş drivers.   The driver of the bus on my return from Milas told me that Mr A had mentioned that I was unsure of the times of buses to and from Milas and I always seemed to be either too early or too late.   The driver had run off a copy of the timetable which hangs in the bus office, and he handed to me.

Home again and it's still raining...yay!

...............................................

Check out Villas in Turkey

20 comments:

  1. You really are looking on the bright side, Ayak, in seeing the positive aspects of yet more rain. Yes, that's a lucky teacher and you are also fortunate in the practical kindness of the dolmus driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to be given flowers by pupils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers for the teacher and a copy of the bus schedule! And an every other day switch for electrical and water repairs...truly AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But just another "normal" day here Theanne!

      Delete
  4. I think you're right about succumbing to the 'manana' principle...
    The paying the electricity bill online system fell apart this morning, so it says I've paid when I haven't....instead of having to go to some 'helpline' as in France, here I can just ring Carlos at the local office and he'll sort it out....manana...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Fly. Just as it should be.

      Delete
  5. The fact that you are smiling comes through your words....enjoy the rain and the rest of your day. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice...and I'm still smiling :-)

      Delete
  6. You have made ME smile with this post, Ayak! Thanks for sharing these lovely stories - heartwarming indeed - and I'm sure all these smiles will stop the rain very soon.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie...glad I made you smile xx

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you have a positive outlook even when it's raining....it makes life much easier.
    Your story about the kids bringing flowers to the teacher brings back memories when I use to pick Lilacs for my teachers near the end of the school year.
    Glad the 'Muhtar' is thinking straight.....wish they would sometimes shut down our electrical supply for a while. The bills here are ridiculous, so expensive with that meter running.

    Have a great day.....thanks for sharing your lovely stories. We suposed to have rain but all it is is a gloomy grey colour out there. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica..I didn't think of that...these powercuts will certainly reduce our electricity bills!

      Still gloomy and grey here too!

      Delete
  8. I do enjoy reading your posts, Ayak! Life can't be easy where you are yet there you are, still smiling! Good for you! BTW I love your new picture at the top of the blog - that area is so pretty and it just captures it. Did you take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. I didn't take the photo. It's one taken by someone else in the village and posted on our village Facebook page. If you could imagine extending the photo on the right you would be able to see our house.

      Delete
  9. Oh Ayak I do love your posts ! Your life is so different to mine, but it feels like you have flung open your door and invited us all to come round and see what's going on - and there's never a dull moment round at your place. You're just great, and I'd feel lost without your lovely blogs to read.
    Keep smiling and making us smile - Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary and welcome. Thankyou so much for your very kind words xxx

      Delete
  10. That sounded a really lovely day!
    Hope you are still enjoying water & electricity. We take so much for granted.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Maggie..it's still raining so no cuts today!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to help my rescue dogs and the strays (dogs and cats) of our village and local industrial estate, please email me for details at lindaikaya@hotmail.com Thankyou x